Travel to Pittsburgh

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I was looking at the real estate in Pittsburgh and it looked really affordable. Would it make sense to buy vs rent? Most of the houses in the $100 000 to 150 000 dollar range, are they houses typically with a lot of work to do. Main areas I was looking in were Brighton, Polish hill and Brookline. When I visited Pittsburgh I remember a lot of hills and it does not seem like the place for a bike commuter lol. Would public transit suffice?I am living in Vancouver atm where I cannot even find a apartment for under 400 000 dollars and the average housing price is now $975 000, it's insane! I love the old vibe feel of the houses and the brick that is used for construction. Solid stuff! Here they build with plywood and tear down the building every 30-40 years because it becomes worn out and has many problems. I asked a few questions hopefully someone can help out.

Last edited:

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I was looking at the real estate in Pittsburgh and it looked really affordable. Would it make sense to buy vs rent? Most of the houses in the $100 000 to 150 000 dollar range, are they houses typically with a lot of work to do. Main areas I was looking in were Brighton, Polish hill and Brookline. When I visited Pittsburgh I remember a lot of hills and it does not seem like the place for a bike commuter lol. Would public transit suffice?I am living in Vancouver atm where I cannot even find a apartment for under 400 000 dollars and the average housing price is now $975 000, it's insane! I love the old vibe feel of the houses and the brick that is used for construction. Solid stuff! Here they build with plywood and tear down the building every 30-40 years because it becomes worn out and has many problems. I asked a few questions hopefully someone can help out.

I went through a divorce with my ex who owed me about a hundred grand. She ended up getting my house, which she never paid one cent for. I had to save my pension.

I quickly grabbed a modest house in Washington. Fifty-five grand.

But, the windows, roof, furnice and hot water heater were less than ten years old.

Two bedrooms, a bath, large living room and an eat in kitchen. Plus, a desired school district, Trinity.

Affordable housing is available. I am not far from the city. Twenty to forty-fIve minutes depending on traffic.

Last edited:

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

If you are looking to stick around for more than a few years it makes sense to buy. Often a house payment is the same amount as rent in the hoods outside of downtown. Sometimes less. Even close to downtown the real estate prices are extremely affordable. Some of the best value in the US.

Polish Hill is a real old school neighborhood. It's a lot more 'Pittsburgh-y' than Brighton or Brookline because it's closer to the city and around all the other ethnic neighborhoods. It's super easy to get downtown and the bus is not an issue at all. They are pretty solid and it's easy just to buy a monthly pass. A stop is every few streets. Hell, you could probably just ride your bike on Liberty on nice days. Downside is that parking is mostly all street.

It all depends where you work to pick you're neighborhood. They are all pretty solid. Some nice than others, but it's not Philadelphia where people are getting murdered by the dozen every night.

746px-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania_neighborhoods_fade.svg.png

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
If you are looking to stick around for more than a few years it makes sense to buy. Often a house payment is the same amount as rent in the hoods outside of downtown. Sometimes less. Even close to downtown the real estate prices are extremely affordable. Some of the best value in the US.

Polish Hill is a real old school neighborhood. It's a lot more 'Pittsburgh-y' than Brighton or Brookline because it's closer to the city and around all the other ethnic neighborhoods. It's super easy to get downtown and the bus is not an issue at all. They are pretty solid and it's easy just to buy a monthly pass. A stop is every few streets. Hell, you could probably just ride your bike on Liberty on nice days. Downside is that parking is mostly all street.

It all depends where you work to pick you're neighborhood. They are all pretty solid. Some nice than others, but it's not Philadelphia where people are getting murdered by the dozen every night.

see this map: I suggest extend your search from Polish Hill towards east end. This is up and coming area, as you can see especially Bloomfield, garfield, Friendship, Larimer and East Liberty. It has a strong urban vibe with still affordable prices, however better hurry up cause hipsters are buying and the prices are going up. The area has bike lanes and a lot of people bike to and from Downtown, its a fantastic area for young people, Hurry UP...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
One caveat though.

Housing prices are very affordable, but Allegheny county has among the highest real estate taxes in the country. Basically expect to pay 3% of the value of your house in taxes each year. So a $200,000 house will set you back $6,000 every year in taxes. A $400,000 house double that, a whopping $12,000 per year.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
If by Brighton you mean Brighton Heights be careful, it still has some pretty rough areas. Great location though and some nice old houses.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
If by Brighton you mean Brighton Heights be careful, it still has some pretty rough areas. Great location though and some nice old houses.

I went through a divorce with my ex who owed me about a hundred grand. She ended up getting my house, which she never paid one cent for. I had to save my pension.

I quickly grabbed a modest house in Washington. Fifty-five grand.

But, the windows, roof, furnice and hot water heater were less than ten years old.

Two bedrooms, a bath, large living room and an eat in kitchen. Plus, a desired school district, Trinity.

Affordable housing is available. I am not far from the city. Twenty to forty-fIve minutes depending on traffic.

I know Brighton has a few sketchy areas. Typically if you keep to yourself and are not involved in criminal activity, don't leave valuables in your car and have a house alarm most of us should be ok.

Mister Hockey- Sorry to hear about your divorce, but your state of mind is more important than any price. You have the power of your mind to focus on any aspect in life you want. $55.000 is really affordable compared to the average city. As long as the taxes and utilities do not eat you up it's a plus. Good luck.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

I was reading the past few days to definitely stay away from Homewood. I thought at the beginning, hey they are trying to scare newcomers then I watched a Youtube video of the mayor explaining the homicide rate on national T.V. Even he himself says he understand people fleeing the area. I don't understand though. The houses are beautiful! Brick with marble and have tested time. Even the major mentioned the beauty of the infrastructure, but crime takes precedence anywhere you go. Can't the army do any clean sweeps like in Brazil where neighborhoods have tuned around?

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was reading the past few days to definitely stay away from Homewood. I thought at the begining, hey they are trying to scare newcomers then I watched a Youtube video of the major explaining the homicide rate on national T.V. Even he himself says he understand people fleeing the area. I don't understand though. The houses are beautiful! Brick with marble and have tested time. Even the major mentioned the beauty of the infrastructure, but crime takes precedence anywhere you go. Can't the army do any clean sweeps like in Brazil where neighborhoods have tuned around?

Two Sundays ago I went running through the east side of Pittsburgh. I did a few streets in Point Breeze North and at a few points I got to some very sketchy looking areas which caused me to immediately do an about-face. I just looked at a map and it turns out that all of those points were at the border of Homewood. I'm really just starting to learn the neighborhoods so I had no clue.

If it helps, I really enjoy the Shadyside area (where I live), but rent is more than some peoples' mortgages.

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Hello all, I'll be visiting for a game in a few weeks and would like to know how you would suggest to get from my hotel (Hampton Inn at 1247 Smallman Street) to Consol Energy Center. Thanks!

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
One caveat though.

Housing prices are very affordable, but Allegheny county has among the highest real estate taxes in the country. Basically expect to pay 3% of the value of your house in taxes each year. So a $200,000 house will set you back $6,000 every year in taxes. A $400,000 house double that, a whopping $12,000 per year.

While Allegheny County taxes are high it's really the school district taxes that kill home buyers.

I just moved to Pine Richland school district and let's just say my overall county/school taxes involve me bending over and grabbing my ankles.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Can anyone lend some advice?

It's an easy walk to Consol from where you are staying. 15 minutes tops. A lot of people park down in the strip district and walk up to the game. Walk up to Grant street, make a right and keep walking till you see signs for Consol (a few blocks). Make a left and you are right there. Can't miss it.

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
It's an easy walk to Consol from where you are staying. 15 minutes tops. A lot of people park down in the strip district and walk up to the game. Walk up to Grant street, make a right and keep walking till you see signs for Consol (a few blocks). Make a left and you are right there. Can't miss it.

Much thanks!

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
Read through this thread real fast and didn't see anything that covered what I wanted to ask. My wife and I are trying to go to all the arenas, and Pittsburgh is next.

I'm looking at coming up next Saturday for the Pens-Coyotes game from Va. I have never been up to Pittsburgh, so are there a few parking areas that would be good for me to get back on the road home after the game? Unfortunately we can't stay for the night, so I want to be able to get back on the road quick after the game. Don't mind walking a bit to the arena.

Other than the game, it looks like we might try to hit Mt. Washington and one food place.

Thanks!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Read through this thread real fast and didn't see anything that covered what I wanted to ask. My wife and I are trying to go to all the arenas, and Pittsburgh is next.

I'm looking at coming up next Saturday for the Pens-Coyotes game from Va. I have never been up to Pittsburgh, so are there a few parking areas that would be good for me to get back on the road home after the game? Unfortunately we can't stay for the night, so I want to be able to get back on the road quick after the game. Don't mind walking a bit to the arena.

Other than the game, it looks like we might try to hit Mt. Washington and one food place.

Thanks!

You can park downtown at the garages more into town, by Kaufmanns depatment store for instance. That is only like five blocks but will avoid a lot of the traffic.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap place to stay within ~20-30 mins of CONSOL? Will have my car so driving a bit won't be an issue. Just need a clean place to shower and sleep.

Also, what is the parking situation like at Consol? Is there a main parking lot/garage?

Last edited:

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Im coming to Pittsburgh next week for home games 2 and 3. Ill be in Pittsburgh for 5 days and was wondering if anyone knows of any real memorabilia spots in Pittsburgh that would have cool Penguins stuff. Also was curious if anyone knew of a place there that sold any of the older penguins jerseys?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Im coming to Pittsburgh next week for home games 2 and 3. Ill be in Pittsburgh for 5 days and was wondering if anyone knows of any real memorabilia spots in Pittsburgh that would have cool Penguins stuff. Also was curious if anyone knew of a place there that sold any of the older penguins jerseys?

I just got back from Pittsburgh yesterday and I won't have as much knowledge as the locals but check out the strip district for a ton of places with Penguins stuff for sale. Go eat breakfast at Deluca's while you're there.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

There's a few Pittsburgh sports stores in the strip. Some are legit, some are knock offs. If you want authentic, game worn/autographed memorabilia there's a team store in the Consol Energy Center and there's a sports memorabilia store in one of the malls (you'll need a car) unfortunately I don't remember which one. There's also a Pens team store in the South Side Works (which is also a great area for night life/restaurants/shopping/bars/drunk people watching).

Both the strip district and south side works are roughly 20+ minute walk from the CEC.

Last edited:

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Perfect thanks a lot. Ive started a list of things I want to be sure I get before I leave, 2 jerseys, 2 tshirt jerseys and something autographed(Not for me, but something being sold signed). Hopefully I can get it all done lol

PopeInTheWoods

Asset Overvaluer
Feb 5, 2015
Rochester NY USA
I'm on-site at a client in Warrendale (a stone's throw from the snazzy new UPMC Lemieux complex) and am looking for a bar to watch tonight's Sabres v. Ducks game at 10pm. The places I know either don't have the NHL TV package for all games, or else close too early (B-Dubs shut down at 11 during the week).

Any suggestions on a place that carries all the NHL games and is open until at least 1am, say between Zelienople and the Ross Park Mall area? I might be up for heading downtown if necessary, so feel free to mention the best places to watch there too.

Thanks, and good luck with the playoffs, which my team will be missing for the 55th straight year.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
There's a Primanti's in Cranberry...they might have Center Ice or whatever the NHL package is now. Last call is at 2 so you'll be able to see all of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad