Travel to Pittsburgh

drvannostren

Nov 9, 2011
A reference to the drug problem in Vancouver? :naughty:

Haha Vancouver only has a drug problem if you think Pot is a problem :).

You guys have all been SUPER helpful.

I will try this Primanti sandwich, cuz the opinion seems divided, so I gotta decide for myself! What's confusing though is you said other places make them. What are they called at those places? Just Primanti sandwiches? I do like the concept, I'd prefer to be healthy and in better shape than I am but it's a trip and I can't NOT try this. The crepes option looks cool, I do like pancakes, but I'm not a really big breakfast guy so we'll see if I can get there early enough to try em out.

A bit of confusion I need cleared up. According to Google Hotels, there's only a Sheraton in Station Square and it's far too pricey IMO, is there anywhere else there or did you guys recommend it just for the bars?

Also, where is "the strip" I can't find it on google maps.

I think staying in downtown area might be the best option then bussing out in the morning. It doesn't sound too bad, it runs early enough to allow for a little time to be late, so no big deal. Though if the cab is really only like $40 that's not bad either. In Vancouver to get to where I live (20-25 mins by car, 35-40 with traffic) it cost me $60 and I just refuse to do that. Taxis are kind of a scam imo. We have Uber trying to break in here but it's caused a big scuffle with the govt and the licensing bureaus etc because Uber skirts all those rules/fees/safeguards etc. I don't mind using that but we'll see where I end up staying cuz that'll end up deciding how I get around. For the most part it'll be on foot, I like to walk the cities/use transit when I have time, it's strictly the airport part that sometimes throws a wrench into that.

Loving the avatars too!

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
The primanti's sandwich a other places can be called all different things, but most common is probably Pittsburgh style sandwich.

The strip is the nickname of the area. Its just east of downtown; along Penn ave. And smallman street. I'm not sure what blocks its between though. It is walkable from downtown

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Sheraton is the only hotel in Station Square. It's a good option in terms of convenience if all of the downtown hotels are full or overpriced, but if it's pricey as well you're better off skipping Station Square altogether and spending your time elsewhere.

The Strip is The Strip District. It's a small area that's full of mostly restaurants, clubs, and businesses. At night people go there for nightlife and in the morning people go there to shop for cheap produce, wholesale ethnic food, and stuff you can't get elsewhere in the city. And to eat.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

I will try this Primanti sandwich, cuz the opinion seems divided, so I gotta decide for myself! What's confusing though is you said other places make them. What are they called at those places? Just Primanti sandwiches? I do like the concept, I'd prefer to be healthy and in better shape than I am but it's a trip and I can't NOT try this. The crepes option looks cool, I do like pancakes, but I'm not a really big breakfast guy so we'll see if I can get there early enough to try em out.

A bit of confusion I need cleared up. According to Google Hotels, there's only a Sheraton in Station Square and it's far too pricey IMO, is there anywhere else there or did you guys recommend it just for the bars?

I think staying in downtown area might be the best option then bussing out in the morning. It doesn't sound too bad, it runs early enough to allow for a little time to be late, so no big deal. Though if the cab is really only like $40 that's not bad either. In Vancouver to get to where I live (20-25 mins by car, 35-40 with traffic) it cost me $60 and I just refuse to do that. Taxis are kind of a scam imo. We have Uber trying to break in here but it's caused a big scuffle with the govt and the licensing bureaus etc because Uber skirts all those rules/fees/safeguards etc. I don't mind using that but we'll see where I end up staying cuz that'll end up deciding how I get around. For the most part it'll be on foot, I like to walk the cities/use transit when I have time, it's strictly the airport part that sometimes throws a wrench into that.

Loving the avatars too!

If you have to try primantis, at least get the pastrami with egg. It's at least respectable, the steak sandwhich is a very very sad piece of smashed dog **** for a lack of better term.

I'm partial to Cafe 5th before the game. Doesn't look like much from the outside but has a good bar, $5 long islands $5 24oz beers; pretty good bar food, jumbo whole wings.
http://cafefifthpgh.com/

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
This map may or may not be super helpful but it does show the neighborhoods we're talking about:

500px-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania_neighborhoods_fade.svg.png

Downtown is the Central Business District. CEC is in the area right next to it called Bluff (much closer to downtown than to South Oakland, it's a very easy walk from anywhere downtown). From the arena if you walk across the 10th Street Bridge it takes you to the Southside Flats, which is the biggest bar district in town. Walk across the bridge, make a left and stay on East Carson Street. There are dozens of bars and restaurants. You can see the Strip District to the north of CEC along the other river. It's a longer walk but do-able. Personally I'd stick with South Side, especially if I had to walk there at night, but it really depends on your preference. If you do go to the Strip, stick to walking through downtown (follow Grant/Liberty Avenues to Smallman or Penn). I wouldn't cut through Crawford Square Apartments as it's a bit of a seedy area.

Here are links for what's in the Strip District & Southside so you can see for yourself which you prefer:
http://www.neighborsinthestrip.com/
http://www.southsidechamber.org/business_directory/

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With all the health crazes nowadays i'm surprised Primantibros even still exists any longer. That sandwich was built in a different era. Yuppies and vegans must lose their minds knowing it still continues on. :laugh:

Nah. Vegans are cool with unhealthy sandwiches. There's this place in Cleveland called Melt Bar and Grilled with gourmet grilled cheeses that are ridiculously unhealthy and vegans go ape **** for them. They have vegan versions for a lot of sandwiches. It's basically like Primanti's on steroids.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Loving the avatars too!

Primanti's is nasty. It's disturbing so many people connect them with Pittsburgh. Don't do that to yourself.

If you make your way to The Strip, try The Car Hop or Peppi's sandwich shops. Much better than Primanti's.

If you are on Southside, a good German restaurant is Hofbräuhaus and their prices are reasonable. Also check out the Pretzel Shop and get their cinnamon sugar twists.

If you are going to do any fine dining, try Grand Concourse in Station Square. If you like Italian, Bucca Di Beppo is at Station Square as well. They have good food and it's an interesting environment for sure.

If you are just staying downtown, try Monte Cellos pizza.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nah. Vegans are cool with unhealthy sandwiches. There's this place in Cleveland called Melt Bar and Grilled with gourmet grilled cheeses that are ridiculously unhealthy and vegans go ape **** for them. They have vegan versions for a lot of sandwiches. It's basically like Primanti's on steroids.

Vegans don't eat cheese, do they?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Primanti's is nasty. It's disturbing so many people connect them with Pittsburgh. Don't do that to yourself.

If you make your way to The Strip, try The Car Hop or Peppi's sandwich shops. Much better than Primanti's.

If you are on Southside, a good German restaurant is Hofbräuhaus and their prices are reasonable. Also check out the Pretzel Shop and get their cinnamon sugar twists.

If you are going to do any fine dining, try Grand Concourse in Station Square. If you like Italian, Bucca Di Beppo is at Station Square as well. They have good food and it's an interesting environment for sure.

If you're on the southside and want a good sandwhich not garbage primantis, go to Fatheads. 40+beers on draft too.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I guess that makes sense. Can you make a gourmet grilled cheese with soy cheese? That sounds terrible.

ps: I've never eaten anything soy related

Soy cheese isn't so bad. It's better than the so-called 'cheese food' that's mostly just flavored oil and water. You could definitely make a gourmet grilled cheese sammich with it. Some of the 'cruelty free' alternatives are down right nasty ... but most of them are actually pretty good if they're prepared right.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I guess that makes sense. Can you make a gourmet grilled cheese with soy cheese? That sounds terrible.

ps: I've never eaten anything soy related

You can but it's not nearly as good. There's soy cheese, almond milk cheese, and probably more at this point. The flavors are decent, but I find the melting texture of Daiya to be off putting. Calling these sandwiches grilled cheese is a bit of a stretch anyway. Here is a description of a few:

The Dude Abides / homemade meatballs, fried mozzarella wedges, basil marinara, roasted garlic, provolone & romano $13.00 VA

Backyard BBQ / roasted pulled chicken, roasted pulled pork or braised beef brisket, thick cut battered onion rings, sweet bbq sauce, sharp cheddar – $11.50 VA, VG

Godfather / 3 cheese lasagna with fresh fennel-oregano pasta sheets, basil marinara, roasted garlic, provolone & romano $12.00 V

Shrimp Po Boy / pan fried shrimp, cornbread hushpuppies, tomato chipotle jam, white bbq sauce, arugula, pepper-jack $14.50 VA

http://meltbarandgrilled.com/menu/

So really, subtract the cheese and you still have a sandwich. They sub soy or gluten based "meats" for vegetarian or vegan versions.

Sorry to derail the Pittsburgh thread with a Cleveland sandwich shop. This place has blown up with 4 locations in Cleveland and just opened one in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pittsburgh location some day.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
If you have to try primantis, at least get the pastrami with egg. It's at least respectable, the steak sandwhich is a very very sad piece of smashed dog **** for a lack of better term.

I'm partial to Cafe 5th before the game. Doesn't look like much from the outside but has a good bar, $5 long islands $5 24oz beers; pretty good bar food, jumbo whole wings.
http://cafefifthpgh.com/

Hot sausage, double egg, double cheese, hold the slaw. (I get weird looks for ordering it, but I'll be damned if it ain't an awesome breakfast sandwich)

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

DAMN! You beat me to it. The Roethelisberger is phenomenal, especially if you add bacon to it.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
You can but it's not nearly as good. There's soy cheese, almond milk cheese, and probably more at this point. The flavors are decent, but I find the melting texture of Daiya to be off putting. Calling these sandwiches grilled cheese is a bit of a stretch anyway. Here is a description of a few:

The Dude Abides / homemade meatballs, fried mozzarella wedges, basil marinara, roasted garlic, provolone & romano $13.00 VA

Backyard BBQ / roasted pulled chicken, roasted pulled pork or braised beef brisket, thick cut battered onion rings, sweet bbq sauce, sharp cheddar – $11.50 VA, VG

Godfather / 3 cheese lasagna with fresh fennel-oregano pasta sheets, basil marinara, roasted garlic, provolone & romano $12.00 V

Shrimp Po Boy / pan fried shrimp, cornbread hushpuppies, tomato chipotle jam, white bbq sauce, arugula, pepper-jack $14.50 VA

http://meltbarandgrilled.com/menu/

So really, subtract the cheese and you still have a sandwich. They sub soy or gluten based "meats" for vegetarian or vegan versions.

Sorry to derail the Pittsburgh thread with a Cleveland sandwich shop. This place has blown up with 4 locations in Cleveland and just opened one in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pittsburgh location some day.

That sounds a lot like The Yard which recently opened in shady side.

Also in the strip, I think its called Gaucho Perillo? The meat shop with all the steak and sausage sandwiches. Only been there once but it was good. And if you're into whiskey, wigle whiskey offers $20 tours with sampling included.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
That sounds a lot like The Yard which recently opened in shady side.

Also in the strip, I think its called Gaucho Perillo? The meat shop with all the steak and sausage sandwiches. Only been there once but it was good. And if you're into whiskey, wigle whiskey offers $20 tours with sampling included.

Yeah, but if you're into whiskey, you'll just take the tour, and skip the whiskey.... lol :yo:

RhysJ

Oct 14, 2014
First post from a long time reader!!

Me and my girlfriend are heading to Pittsburgh from South Wales. Around late March early April next year to catch the Flyers game. As you can imagine, we are both very excited, for completely different reasons. She currently has no idea the whole trip is going to be a glorified sports trip. But surely she can't split from me 3,500 miles away??

I was way too excited to see the Pens for the first time, that was until I read this thread.

I now only want to go for the food and the food alone.

You ********

Last edited by a moderator:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
First post from a long time reader!!

Me and my girlfriend are heading to Pittsburgh from South Wales. Around late March early April next year to catch the Flyers game. As you can imagine, we are both very excited, for completely different reasons. She currently has no idea the whole trip is going to be a glorified sports trip. But surely she can't split from me 3,500 miles away??

I was way too excited to see the Pens for the first time, that was until I read this thread.

I now only want to go for the food and the food alone.

You ********

Enjoy!

You also reminded me, the Pub Chip Shop in Southside has really good Chicken & Chips. I don't eat fish but that's probably pretty good too. If you go there be sure to try the boxty tots as well. (For the guy in Vancouver, someone from Wales would probably scoff at an American chip shop :laugh: ).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Hofbräuhaus is not really Pittsburgh. It is a chain owned by the original Hofbräuhaus in Munich Germany:

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/

hofbraeuhaus-nacht-620.jpg

hofbrauhaus_inside_800.jpg

I doubt that it is the same experience here in Pittsburgh as it would be in Germany. I found it to be ok, nothing special. Not bad, not great.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hofbräuhaus is not really Pittsburgh. It is a chain owned by the original Hofbräuhaus in Munich Germany:

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/

hofbraeuhaus-nacht-620.jpg

hofbrauhaus_inside_800.jpg

I doubt that it is the same experience here in Pittsburgh as it would be in Germany. I found it to be ok, nothing special. Not bad, not great.

Ya, I never claimed it was a Pgh exclusive (neither is Bucca). Just a good place to get a bite to eat with decent prices in a pretty interesting environment (inside and outside). You can sit out on the balcony and watch the Gateway Clipper roll by and see people enjoying Riverfront Park, then literally walk off the balcony and enjoy it yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad