Transport 93 Lemieux into july 2023? Read op

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Let’s put it this way. I think Lemieux would already have the Art Ross locked up this season if he outright missed the two games sat due to injury and the 8-10 games after McDavid was rushed back to clearly play through that injury.

That’s the difference between them as players.

However, Mario won’t be able to get away with chewing through cigarettes, eating like a pig, and not bothering to stretch/lift/condition for long in this era. He would start missing significant time again as early as the following season.
I doubt he would live like that if he was playing in the 10s and 20s

back in 70s/80s/90s a lot of players didnt really take fitness and conditioning seriously.

I also think that cigarettes werent looked as poorly in early 80s to early 90s vs now there are targetted ads everywhere letting people know the risks of smoking

Up until mid 1960s people I believe still were arguing that cigarettes were good for you and didnt result in higher risk to lung cancer.

Reactions: sanscosm

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am a Ranger fan who started watching hockey in 1985 at 13 years old. I saw alot of Mario Lemieux.

Every time I saw Pittsburgh on the schedule, it filled my heart with dread the way on old sailor would look out on the sea when a Nor'easter was in his path. You would see the game and worry about it for days. You wouldn't even think about the games in between... You couldn't take your thoughts away from it, because you knew he was coming.

I wondered when the league would amend the rule and just allow him to put the third 6 on his sweater.

What were we going to do? All the Jan Erixons, James Patricks, and Willie Hubers in the world were not going to save us.

Le Magnifique was coming...

When he got there, it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be.

It was WORSE.

At the end of the game, the garden ice looking like a civil war battlefield with bodies strewn about, sounds of agony from men who's lives had been forever altered by the chaos that had come to pass on that evening, Mario always managed to assert his will on the game.

Whether you won or lost, Mario was going to Mario.

He was like the final boss on a video game, except you were never going to beat that boss. You would never finish that game. It would haunt you for the rest of your days...

As for me, having yet to know the true misery that only a woman can deal you, and too young to drown it in whisky, there was only the pain. It would ruin the rest of my week, and make me question why I willingly subjected myself to this agony. I would hurl curses at Lemieux into the darkness, only to have my neighbors shout back to shut the f*** up and go to bed.

Until the next time.

Mario Lemieux is the most physically unstoppable player who has ever held a hockey stick in his hands. All this talk of "era adjusted" stats isn't counting for this. This man scored nearly 200 points when you could do almost anything to stop him. The very best players in the world of that day would routinely play the fool, little more than the canvas upon which the master would deliver his latest latest masterpiece.

Lemieux, the artist, with the equipment of today and the medical advancements that could have held off the things off the ice that kept him down...
Lemieux, unable to be chopped, hooked, or waterskiied upon...
Lemieux, with no center redline or two line pass...

There are no records in this game that would be out of reach.

I say this as a man who has hated #66 and the mention of his name for my entire life. He is the f***ing GOAT.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
He'd be topping Matthews' goal totals and McDavid's assist totals at the same time at the very least. My guess is he'd pot 110+ assists and 75+ goals

Reactions: leafsfan5

Strangle

May 4, 2009
A sick/injured Mario couldnt be stopped with a defenseman waterskiing off him. Healthy and with todays interference rules? He would break the season point record.

sgebh3c2c1w41.gif

Mario scores 250pts in this NHL

70 Goals and 110 assists would be my guess.

100 goals and 150 assists I think

• Haha
Reactions: WalterLundy

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lemieux's 2003 season is insane.

GP: 67
G: 28
A: 63
Pts: 91

This was during the dead puck era and with much more physical play/clutching and grabbing.
If he played a full season he was on pace to win the Art Ross.
He was 38 years old and already survived cancer and came back from 3 missing 3 full seasons of retirement.

This was in the twilight of his career...imagine him in his prime. It's really hard to overstate just how talented Lemieux was. McDavid's a great player and making a great case to make it into a top 5 rather than a top 4...but Lemieux in his prime was simply better.

Reactions: Outl4w and sanscosm

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
The defencemen can actually skate today though.
I mean he absolutely dummied Bourque (one of the top 5 defensemen ever) on a similar play to the one in the gif. Also mentioning a lack of defensemen who could skate is kind of ignoring all of the blatant obstruction they got away with that they couldn't now. Mario would dominate the league in any era.

Reactions: Gustave

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Any of the posters who say stuff like defenses were terrible back then or goalies couldn't stop a puck to discredit Lemieux make me think they just started watching hockey in the last decade or so.

Lemieux was a different breed. His production wasn't a result of the era, but of his once in a generation skillset. Anyone who doesn't believe Lemieux transported into today would torch the league is nuts.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
He would have to play a bit different, there's less open ice and the average player today is a lot better than it was 30 years ago. That said you are taking the greatest forward ever (his peak is better than anyone elses), who played a style that still works today and putting him in now? I'd guess 180 points but he could easily pop 200.

Might take a bit to figure the league out but he would dominate.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He would have to play a bit different, there's less open ice and the average player today is a lot better than it was 30 years ago. That said you are taking the greatest forward ever (his peak is better than anyone elses), who played a style that still works today and putting him in now? I'd guess 180 points but he could easily pop 200.

Might take a bit to figure the league out but he would dominate.
You think less open ice would be a problem with Mario? He’s not trapped in a phone booth with the defense, the defense are trapped with him.

Less ice= more offense.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Heres the hypothetical. We somehow transport 27 year old 93 mario into july 2023. Giving him 3 months to get into shape and test out new skate and stick technology for 3 months over the summer. He then starts opening night as the pens 1st line center. What are the results in 75-82 games healthy?
Guentzel would have put up Kevin Stevens numbers.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Any of the posters who say stuff like defenses were terrible back then or goalies couldn't stop a puck to discredit Lemieux make me think they just started watching hockey in the last decade or so.

Lemieux was a different breed. His production wasn't a result of the era, but of his once in a generation skillset. Anyone who doesn't believe Lemieux transported into today would torch the league is nuts.
To play devil’s advocate, he was massive compared to his counterparts then. Players are bigger and stronger now than they were in the 80s. I mean look at the two best d-men from that era: Coffey and Bourque. One was 6 foot and the other 5’11

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Mario is someone whose skills wouldn’t be lost in the generational shift, at least not yet. He was fast enough to keep up, his brain would still be elite, he picked corners all day long so it really wouldn’t matter that the goalies are better. His dangles maybe wouldn’t work quite as well on defenseman but he had plenty of tools to compensate, and his reach would still be just as effective.

I don’t think he’d had a point drop off, and he could possibly be doing better. No modern player has to fight for space the way he had to.

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
in any thought exercise like this, the answer for mario or gretzky or howe is "they would produce at a better or similar rate as the current best players in the nhl".

there's a reason why they are firmly top 5 players of all time. right now we have another top 5 candidate in mcdavid topping out at 150 points, so it's likely they would get up there.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Prime Lemieux was just built different. He'd only be hindered by the widespread game management going on in the league because he'd draw an insane amount of penalties.

Nov 24, 2006
A sick/injured Mario couldnt be stopped with a defenseman waterskiing off him. Healthy and with todays interference rules? He would break the season point record.

sgebh3c2c1w41.gif
What an absolute shame that this kind of defensive play was typical back then. So many stars neutered by crappy clutch and grab defencemen.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
What an absolute shame that this kind of defensive play was typical back then. So many stars neutered by crappy clutch and grab defencemen.
Also, every third line of every teams was just hooking and hacking until sticks broke.

A terrible time to be a fan, thankfully the goalies were bad. But then they got better, and hooking and grabbing were still allowed. Hence, the DPE.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad