GDT: Training Camp Thread

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The scouts were high on Debrincat but I’m dubious that Benning would have ever let them make that pick.

I remember Botchford saying that Benning really liked Debrincat as well, but I can’t find the article anymore. Doesn’t really matter though as he still traded McCann and a high 2nd for Gudbranson. That 2016 2nd round is looking strong too.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If the Canucks had just kept all their draft picks from 2019 onward, we wouldn't be having this endless debate about the future of the few guys we did draft.

Teams that stockpile picks and do a proper rebuild, usually always come ahead in the end when it comes to their prospect pool. The more picks you have, the more chances of landing a big fish.

Benning dealt too many picks for plugs and projects--it's really that simple.
Agreed. I have been arguing on here a lot that teams that don't make the playoffs should not be trading draft picks unless they are getting a clear steal. if we had kept our draft picks (and traded players for picks) from 2015 - 20, we would likely have a pretty good team right now. Of course our drafting hasn't actually been our strong point, and we should have gotten rid of Benning way earlier. sigh.

Reactions: vanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I remember Botchford saying that Benning really liked Debrincat as well, but I can’t find the article anymore. Doesn’t really matter though as he still traded McCann and a high 2nd for Gudbranson. That 2016 2nd round is looking strong too.

I remember Botch saying the scouting staff really liked Debrincat.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Here it is:

“In the lead-up to the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, Vancouver GM Jim Benning really liked DeBrincat. He saw a lot of Johnny Gaudreau in him.”

Reactions: vancityluongo

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't really want to go back and look through it, but you can essentially draft the first two rounds of every benning draft through his lens because there was a leak about who he wanted in the first two rounds every year.

Reactions: racerjoe

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If the Canucks had just kept all their draft picks from 2019 onward, we wouldn't be having this endless debate about the future of the few guys we did draft.

Teams that stockpile picks and do a proper rebuild, usually always come ahead in the end when it comes to their prospect pool. The more picks you have, the more chances of landing a big fish.

Benning dealt too many picks for plugs and projects--it's really that simple.

This is certainly partially true. With less volume of picks, it's a scenario where we've got more eggs in one basket.

But at the same time, some of these guys who haven't worked out were high picks and that's always going to carry scrutiny. Podkolzins struggles wouldn't be completely washed away by having some other guys in the pipeline. It'd still be a focal point...that's just naturally how it works with top picks who aren't living up to their billing.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I actually don't think the 2019 draft is bad. Podz and Hoglander were damn good prospects after their D+1 and D+2. But like someone said in the other thread, Hoglander's been given every opportunity to succeed and nothing has clicked, and Podz has mental struggles. Sometimes shit happens and your prospects don't turn out for whatever reason, but I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that both clearly have tools and drive to succeed. In another world, it's a home run draft getting two top 6 wingers, and it really looked like that was going to happen.

They still have a really good prospect in Silovs in the system.
Yeah this is the way I see 2019. Solid draft, but things just didn't go well in the long run. Whereas with some drafts you can tell they're bad right from the get go.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So assuming the Calgary lineup is basically the opening night roster, when Mikheyev returns he almost certainly slots in beside EP.

So what's the trickle down effect?

Who comes out of the lineup? I was driving to Penticton amd listened to the 1st and most of the third, and read the GDT and sounds like Stud and Dakota were the weakest links...probably Studnicka comes out? Does Garland slot in on Blue's line, or with Suter? If Suter, who goes down?

I'm thinking:
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Aman-Blueger-Beau

But could also see Joshua and Beau switching lines.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
And the positive surprise of the training camp award goes to….
PDG!

With all the justifiable disappointment in younger players like Podzolkin, Hoglander etc.,PDG stepping up as a top 6 winger at his age has been a good news story.
I like Di Giuseppe but he needs to be pushed down to a fourth-line role where he could be reasonably effective over the longer haul. He's not going to get it done as a second-line player.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I like Di Giuseppe but he needs to be pushed down to a fourth-line role where he could be reasonably effective over the longer haul. He's not going to get it done as a second-line player.
what does this mean - points wise? or how he plays? can't sustain ice time?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Absolutely not....based on his play. didn't look at all out of place playing up the lineup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I's always funny how some players just 'click' with a coach, and then some just don't. Clearly Green and Boudreau didn't value Phil Di Giuseppe very much, and he ended up in Abbotsford every year.

You always knew he was too good for the AHL; but could never carve out a bottom-six role with the Canucks. But looks like a new player under Tocchet, who's clearly in his corner.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
FYI for anyone wondering, tomorrow is the last day for anyone to be placed on waivers for the purposes of opening night rosters.

It’s a 24 hour process and rosters have to be set by Monday at 2pm. That leaves a few hours between clearing waivers (11am) and the submittal deadline.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think you need to take off the preconceived views and give him another fair chance. He’s been the biggest surprised this camp

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
..and who should/ deserves to play on the Miller line.?..I'm betting that when Mikheyev is healthy, he'll be on Petes line.

Mikheyev / EP / Kuz
PDG / Miller / Boeser.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Disagree. As I said elsewhere, he is a player who is growing on me. He has been effective on the 2nd line, keep him there until he fades. Which very well may happen.

However he should change his name. Right now he sounds like he should be playing soccer for Roma. Maybe change his name to Stone Cole Hardass.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I think you need to take off the preconceived views and give him another fair chance. He’s been the biggest surprised this camp
Agreed, he looked excellent during the games I watched. Some players click a little later. 5 ES points in 3 games is awesome. Obviously no one expects that pace in the regular season, but he's thrived in the opportunity he's been given. Let him run with it. Add in the fact that he's signed this season AND NEXT for 775k, it would. be huge if he could stick on that second line and produce.

Reactions: arttk

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Disagree. As I said elsewhere, he is a player who is growing on me. He has been effective on the 2nd line, keep him there until he fades. Which very well may happen.

However he should change his name. Right now he sounds like he should be playing soccer for Roma. Maybe change his name to Stone Cole Hardass.

There's lots of options...

• Love
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad