GDT: Training Camp Thread

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
There are some bright spots in McWard and Raty from pre-season but Christ almighty, is it dejecting seeing guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin really show nothing of significance, never mind the D situation with no real standouts aside from McWard.

You really needed someone to step up and show they can contribute above their level on a cheap deal. There's a whole lot of nothing behind the core group. Best we can hope for now is someone coming in via waivers and trade and bringing improvements in depth roles.
It feels like our system needs to be rebuilt. Again.

Hopefully Allvin's first two drafts bear fruit. Benning's last two (2020 and 2021) are looking horrid. Nonis/Gillis level.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
My nephew seems to think we are 50+ years old. He's always astonished when I say there's some young 20 year olds on here....

I'm over 35 now so I may as well be 50. Doesn't make a difference.
Some of wish we were 50. But still retired, and with money to spare. I miss having a body that works.

Then again, I play hockey 2 x week, golf and pickleball 2 - 3 times a week, and take 4 - 5 trips a year, so life could be worse.

Reactions: Grub

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
My nephew seems to think we are 50+ years old. He's always astonished when I say there's some young 20 year olds on here....

I'm over 35 now so I may as well be 50. Doesn't make a difference.

I'm 36, so I'll join you there.

I can't recall how old I was when I discovered this site, but I graduated in 2005, and would often check out HFBoards, while taking homework breaks.

Been tuning in almost daily ever since.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm a getting towards 36-year-old boomer myself and I miss the golden age of forums. Everything else is too fast and too faceless or is like Reddit where anything people don't like is downvoted off the sub.

Reactions: Vector

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Well this thread turned sad. In 2008 I was a young high school kid posting aggressive stuff and getting infractions on this site. Now I'm an old 32 years old dude with 2 kids. I hope this forum stays alive for much much more longer.

Now on the training camp, so far impressed with Soucy & Hronek, our D should be much more improved this year.

2016 is the worst. All that suffering for mother f***ing Juolevi and Lockwood

From the London Knights.... Mat.... Olli Fu*******g Juolevi.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I actually don't think the 2019 draft is bad. Podz and Hoglander were damn good prospects after their D+1 and D+2. But like someone said in the other thread, Hoglander's been given every opportunity to succeed and nothing has clicked, and Podz has mental struggles. Sometimes shit happens and your prospects don't turn out for whatever reason, but I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that both clearly have tools and drive to succeed. In another world, it's a home run draft getting two top 6 wingers, and it really looked like that was going to happen.

They still have a really good prospect in Silovs in the system.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks had just kept all their draft picks from 2019 onward, we wouldn't be having this endless debate about the future of the few guys we did draft.

Teams that stockpile picks and do a proper rebuild, usually always come ahead in the end when it comes to their prospect pool. The more picks you have, the more chances of landing a big fish.

Benning dealt too many picks for plugs and projects--it's really that simple.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If the Canucks had just kept all their draft picks from 2019 onward, we wouldn't be having this endless debate about the future of the few guys we did draft.

Teams that stockpile picks and do a proper rebuild, usually always come ahead in the end when it comes to their prospect pool. The more picks you have, the more chances of landing a big fish.

There are zero guarantees about that.

Reactions: Numba9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks wrap up their exhibition schedule with a game against the Flames at the Rog tonight.. Canucks will dressing most of the opening night lineup.....whereas, who knows who the Flames will send to Vancouver?

Maybe they do us a favor and ice the kind of lineup the Canucks sent to the Saddledome to start the exhibition schedule....but of course that's impossible since all teams are down to their final pre-season cuts.

A win to close out pre-season would be nice.....but still won't expunge that 10-0 beatdown that opened the exhibition schedule.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

guenther would be nice, but i think he's the only traded pick making an impact so far.

is there any other pick we gave up during the benning era that stings other than rasmus andersson?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
guenther would be nice, but i think he's the only traded pick making an impact so far.

is there any other pick we gave up during the benning era that stings other than rasmus andersson?
Remarkably, no. Mukhamidullin is the other notable one but I mean we got JT Miller with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad