IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1706.jpeg

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Only 11 guys I have never heard of this year and no PTO's. Roster depth must be getting better!

I like the fact that they have no PTO's this year. They have enough real lower end depth that they have actual internal battles for spots. From the Canucks bottom of the roster depth all the way down to Kalamazoo there will be players competing at all levels.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Remember when Danny DeKeyser had us worried he might actually somehow get a spot on this team because of how long he was here :laugh:

And when Nic Petan was getting double shifted and played beside Petey like a good Winterhawk

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Contemplating renewing the awful sportsnet now app.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Anyone know who's in practice group A and B yet, since X is screwy no updates happening.?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is the way I see the defense going into camp (only those with opportunity to play NHL games this year):

Hughes
Hronek
Soucey
Cole
Myers

Wolanin
Hirose
Juulsen
Irwin
Brisebois
Rathbone
Woo (over McWard as RHD only because of experience. This order could change quickly)
McWard
Johansson

The bolded are locks to make the roster barring trade.
I expect them to go with 8 D and 13 forwards on the roster. That means there are legitimately 3 spots up for grabs. They've used lots of D men over the past few seasons. Anyone in the top 12 can expect to get NHL games.

Key battle on the right side will be between Juulsen and Woo. I'm kinda hoping Woo earns a spot. Juulsen is a good depth guy that is unlikely to be claimed on waivers. McWard needs to gain experience in the AHL.

Key battle on the left side will be Wolanin/Hirose/Rathbone. Hirose is the biggest question mark. Will he show enough to beat out Wolanin who probably goes into camp as the favourite for the 3rd pairing LHD spot? I'm not ruling out Rathbone but he really needs to step up and claim a spot this year or he's likely not long with the orgnaiztion.

Irwin and Brisebois are purely depth guys. Johansson needs to show more than he has to date in order to move up the depth chart.

My prediction to start the season:

NHL
Hughes
Hronek
Soucey
Cole
Myers

Wolanin
Hirose
Juulsen/Woo (not ready to make a call on this one)

AHL
Woo/Juulsen
Irwin
Brisebois
Rathbone (maybe lost on waivers)
McWard
Johansson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Most curious to see if Hirose makes the team. I think he's got a shot for that #6 spot if he impresses.

If he ends up in Abbotsford, I think the spot belongs to Wolanin.

The way it probably should look, Hirose should only make the team if he's making regular minutes. Wolanin, as long as he doesn't blow it in camp, should make the team regardless of whether it's #6 or #7. Waiver exemption status will probably matter quite a bit. Wolanin, Irwin, Rathbone, Woo, Brisebois, and Juulsen all require waivers. I really think the prospective favourites are Wolanin at #6 and Irwin as the #7 guy. They carried 8 defencemen the last several years but I have no sense of what Tocchet's preference is there.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Best guess:
Group A:
Beau - Petey - Kuz
PDG - Blueger - Hoglander

Cole - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers

Group B:
Garland - Miller - Boeser
Podz - Suter - Joshua

Hughes - Soucy