Training Camp Thread Part Two - Drozg didn't make the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've yet to see what this team sees in Angello.

hockey.jpg

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

A mobile big body that will play physical and isn’t totally bereft of skill. Good shot and willingness to go to the net. Will that effectively translate to the NHL? Eh, I think he could be a solid 4th liner for the Pens if it goes well. I think he’s close enough to the NHL now and has enough attributes that they’d like for them to see something in him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
During the season, before the expansion draft, or after the expansion draft?

I think during the season, but that depends on how well Matheson and Jankowski play.

Even if Jank is playing well, I just get vibes of 2018 here. Is JR really going to be happy going into the playoffs, in one of the few remaining years with Crosby, Letang and Malkin still both as elite players, with Jankowski as his 3C? I think the ED has to be considered, but winning now is more important than good asset management with the ED.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm by no means married to Petts, but I don't think he's valuable enough all things considered to land us a better option at 3C than Blueger. Not without parting with a guy like Poulin as well, in which case, I'd really have to see the guy potentially coming back in order to form a stance.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm by no means married to Petts, but I don't think he's valuable enough all things considered to land us a better option at 3C than Blueger. Not without parting with a guy like Poulin as well, in which case, I'd really have to see the guy potentially coming back in order to form a stance.

Por que no los dos?

HFPens is going to be a blast when JR trades Poulin and Pettersson for another Brassard type of 1C that doesn't fit in as a 3C

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I like the moves and the starting lineup. The defense pairings are exactly what I wanted and I think the Pens defense is going to be world's better than last year's version both offensively and defensively.

I also love loading up the Jankowski line with McCann and Tanev. I think that line will allow Jankowski to get back to his form before last year when he had two promising season's in a row. I believe very strongly that with those linemates Jankowski will be back to the 17 goal and 14 goal player he was the past two season's before last year playing with Lucic and other bums as linemates.

The only position fight left will be who plays with Blueger and I think it will be Lafferty and Sceviour with Rodriguez on the bench once Kapanen is back. I think all spots are accounted for and once Kapanen is able to play Rodriguez will be our 13th forward.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think during the season, but that depends on how well Matheson and Jankowski play.

Even if Jank is playing well, I just get vibes of 2018 here. Is JR really going to be happy going into the playoffs, in one of the few remaining years with Crosby, Letang and Malkin still both as elite players, with Jankowski as his 3C? I think the ED has to be considered, but winning now is more important than good asset management with the ED.

If it's during the season, there's lots of variables to consider. Like you said.

What teams have good C depth, but bad LD? And I'd hope that C acquired would be exempt from the draft, but there's probably not too many players fitting that description.

And what if GMJR trades Dumoulin for a 3C? He's done it before. :sarcasm:

Hehe.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Dominik Simon playing on the Flames top line with Monahan and Gaudreau. TIL Sullivan also coaches the Flames

So glad to be moving on from the Simon's of the world in our top 6. Even worse than the Flames having Simon on the top line is the Caps having Schultz in their top 4. I wouldn't want Schultz even as a backup number 7 defenseman let alone for $4 million.

I really like this teams makeup this year with speed to burn on every line. Wingers can play Sullivan's system and get in on the forecheck and goes other teams defenseman havoc. Defenseman that can join the rush. This team will be fun to watch like the 2016 group. That team had many holes such as players like Sheary, old and declining Kunitz, rookie Rust, and Hornqvist not a ton of skill as our top 2 line wingers. The difference is that team had at least one winger on each line to get in on the forecheck to create turnovers and give space for the other forwards to work.

Is this the fastest winger group of all time for the Pens? Guentzel and Kapanen for top line, Zucker and Rust for 2nd line, McCann and Tanev 3rd line, and then Lafferty and Sceviour on the 4th line. Those wingers are much faster than the 2016 group. Decline Kunitz and Sheary 1st line, Hornqvist and Rust 2nd line, Hagelin and Kessel 3rd line, and Khunhackle and Fehr 4th line. The only line that is equal in speed is the 3rd and all the other line wingers are much faster than 2016 lines. Better wingers in skill at top two lines also now compared to 2016. The only difference for the 3rd line in comparison as far as skill is McCann to Kessel because I believe Tanev can equal Hagelin production in a more offensive assignment this line will get compared to last year's shut down assignment he was given. So we don't have that Kessel stud on the 3rd line that is because we are actually using our better wingers in the top lines. Overall winger quality and speed has advantage this group over 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: canadianguy77

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If it's during the season, there's lots of variables to consider. Like you said.

What teams have good C depth, but bad LD? And I'd hope that C acquired would be exempt from the draft, but there's probably not too many players fitting that description.

Hehe.

Id be going for a RW. A centre doesn’t really solve our bottom 6 wingers lacking in playmaking ability. We are also very thin for quality if anything happens to Rust or Kappy (or if Kappy isn’t working great with Sid).

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Por que no los dos?

HFPens is going to be a blast when JR trades Poulin and Pettersson for another Brassard type of 1C that doesn't fit in as a 3C
I wanted Pageau anyway. :laugh:

I think JR's been operating under the "f*** it, I'm done soon anyway" mindset for a while. Hope he doesn't do a ton of damage before he's done, which I think will be the next off-season.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He played college hockey for the greatest college hockey program, in front of the greatest fans, of all time and across all planes of existence. That is all you need to know.

Note: The fact that I also attended that school is immaterial.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dominik Simon playing on the Flames top line with Monahan and Gaudreau. TIL Sullivan also coaches the Flames

To be fair (insert Letterkenny "To be fair" chorus), Simon showed the ability to be good analytically while on a top line. If he can be a capable player there, that allows the Flames to spread out their talent into a more balanced attack.

I mean, I don't think it's going to work out but I'm rootin for him.

Por que no los dos?

Boy there's a lot that goes into that to be honest. If you're looking at Petts and Poulin, possibly more, you could catch a team in cap trouble and try to snake a young 3C with 2C potential, not unlike a Jordan Staal type. If you can get a guy at 24-25, he can become your future 2nd line center once Sid or Geno decline. Not sure who that would be after a cursory look at Capfriendly but it's what the ideal situation would look like in my opinion.

Hehe.

I tell ya, if was a 24yo Jordan Staal out there, I'd walk Dumo to the door me thinks.

I wanted Pageau anyway. :laugh:

I think JR's been operating under the "f*** it, I'm done soon anyway" mindset for a while. Hope he doesn't do a ton of damage before he's done, which I think will be the next off-season.

I did want Pageau as well at the time. We choose wrongly. He's Islanders 3C at the moment. He'd be perfect in that role here.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

All take 2018 compared to the last few years. In that 2018 most experts thought we had a good chance to 3peat going into those playoffs. We lost to the eventual Cup Champs which was no shame in that. We had several game 7 wins in 2016 and 2017. It is just a matter of getting a few bounces go your way that is the difference between those years. The main factor was that Murray was outplayed badly in that Caps series and that wasn't the case with our goaltending during those Cup wins.

I really don't see any comparison to the 2018 team and this team is built much more like the 2016 team but even faster and more skilled wingers now and a good chance of having a better defense group. It will all come down to goaltending as usual when it comes to the playoffs. This team has the horses to cause opposing defenseman fits with the speed on the forecheck with this winger group. Not only is this wing group faster than 2016 but also more skilled.

We haven't had wingers like this for our top 6 since the 90's. Even that 2016 team had Sheary and an old and declining Kunitz on the top line. The 2nd line was not much better with Rust as a rookie and not near the point getter he is now and Hornqvist who is a great net front presence guy but nobody even back then would call him a fast skilled forward. Hornqvist was the only winger you could make a case for that was a top two line winger. Comparing that group to Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, and Kapanen now is night and day both with speed and skill. That 2016 team had Kessel on the 3rd line but Hagelin was nothing more than a good 3rd line winger himself. So Pens had a dominant team with literally 2 wingers of top two line ability with one of those playing on the 3rd line and the other in Hornqvist who well deserving of being called a top 6 didn't exactly bring skill and speed.

Every team has its holes so we will just have to see how this group works. I contend this team is built to play Sullivan's system better than any team we ever assembled. Time will tell if I am right but no doubt we have the wingers to keep a constant forecheck pressure offense.

No matter if this team fails to win a Cup it is going to be one of my favorites to watch since that 2016 group. That group was so much fun how they kept a constant forecheck. I rather lose with that system than win a Cup playing old NJ style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad