Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I'd put Zucker over Guentzel on the right wall. More dangerous one-timer option from range. Stronger and faster on the walls for puck battles and retrievals to maintain possession + zone time. It's pretty tough having to put a 40 goal scorer on the 2nd unit though.

Glad to see Matheson-Marino

The part with Ceci will be when he's burned and looks awful will he be sat? Then you'll know if our new coaches have influence in the lineup.
Hurts to see POJ and Riiko as spares, even though we saw it coming a million miles away. Good players going unused. I wonder if we'll trade Petts this year. Would create a spot and we'd get some scoring help.

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins Finalize 23-Man Roster and Taxi Squad

Nice to see O'Connor and POJ sticking around. Doubt they'll get any meaningful time, but y'know. Probably best for their development to stick around and learn at this level.

Wow, I'm surprised with this. Did they really not include Trotman on their practice squad? Man I was not expecting that at all.

Having 4 goalies is also a surprise, especially because D'Orio kinda stinks, but the overall split (16 F, 9 D and 4 goalies) makes sense.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Wow, I'm surprised with this. Did they really not include Trotman on their practice squad? Man I was not expecting that at all.

Having 4 goalies is also a surprise, especially because D'Orio kinda stinks, but the overall split (16 F, 9 D and 4 goalies) makes sense.
Trotman, Maniscalco, Miletic and Aston-Reese were not assigned anywhere because of injuries. It's possible Trotman will replace D'Orio when healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trotman, Maniscalco, Miletic and Aston-Reese were not assigned anywhere because of injuries. It's possible Trotman will replace D'Orio when healthy.

I didn't know Trotman was hurt, that would explain that.

You're probably right that Trotman would replace D'Orio. I've been beating a dead horse here, but I genuinely do not see a roster spot available for ZAR so I'd be surprised if he wasn't dumped.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kind of a cringy list to be honest...but not unexpected. I would damn near consider playing Riikola at 4th line wing over bringing up Gaudreau or Angello.

Whats the word on Nolan. Didn't see his name on the lists?

Edit:

Forward Jordan Nolan has been removed from his PTO and will report to WBS.

Name didn't have a link so I skimmed past it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I didn't know Trotman was hurt, that would explain that.

You're probably right that Trotman would replace D'Orio. I've been beating a dead horse here, but I genuinely do not see a roster spot available for ZAR so I'd be surprised if he wasn't dumped.

I bet he gets a look when he comes back but if there's not an immediate impact then...he could be on his way out or buried. I keep thinking "wait until other teams have injuries then trade him" but unfortunately, there are still a couple of ZAR caliber UFAs available. Tough year for some.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
POJ plays LD, right? Can't see how he finds any significant time in a shortened/condensed season unless we have a crazy bunch of injuries, or this coaching staff feels comfortable enough in his game to go with like a POJ-Marino second pairing and a Petts-Matheson bottom pairing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
POJ plays LD, right? Can't see how he finds any significant time in a shortened/condensed season unless we have a crazy bunch of injuries, or this coaching staff feels comfortable enough in his game to go with like a POJ-Marino second pairing and a Petts-Matheson bottom pairing.

WBS also doesn't play for a while. They could have figured that keeping POJ up against NHL talent, even if he's just practicing, would be beneficial to his development.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we are talking Pens here, that opportunity will arrive sooner rather than later...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Injuries will take care of it, but I do wonder if they’ll try someone at RD if Ceci is putrid enough and they don’t fall in love with him a la JJ.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Injuries will take care of it, but I do wonder if they’ll try someone at RD if Ceci is putrid enough and they don’t fall in love with him a la JJ.
I'd still like to see Riikola up first in the event of an injury to a LD. Hell, I'd play Riikola at RD over Ceci.

Riikola's a fine NHL-caliber blueliner. He's shown it in the past and he's shown it in camp. Dude just can't get a break. :laugh:

Dumo-Letang, Matheson-Marino, Petts-Riikola -- That's as good a blueline as we're gonna get, imo.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
No one unless injuries take a big time hit on a team will trade for Petts with that contract right now. But I like some think Riikola is a decent option as a bottom pairing LD rather than a lanky no shot LD who puck skills make Hal Gill look like Bobby Orr. I am selectively pissed on GMJR willingness to give out these contracts to guys who just have limited upside due to obvious issues. Petts just is to skinny and Olli was just to slow to reward them with those deals. POJ brings far better mobility to the mix vs Petts who can look making it to the red line an adventure.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Injury history suggests that POJ will get time at some point this year.

How has Dumoulin looked thus far? He was a concern for me last year post-injury. I'd like to see how both Dumo and Petts perform this year. Only say under the slim chance that Petts steps up and Dumo regresses. At the moment, I think Dumo would fetch more. Not advocating for that at the moment, I'm just saying I'd like to wait and watch for a moment.

That said, Petts for a 3C if one or more of Riikola, Rudwedel, and especially POJ prove they can fill the gap (this under the assumption that Matheson can give us a 2nd pairing performance) is a decent idea. Who might we target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad