Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That really ****ing sucks...

I would’ve thought the Valimaki would’ve had a positive to it, but it seems the team just loves to make the same mistakes again and again...
How is an injury ever positive?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He means silver lining.
It was obvious from the time of the injury Treliving didn't think Kylington was ready. There is a reason why he played extremely sheltered minutes last season and why we added Fanta, Kylington in a larger role will be a liability. He's slowly improving, but he's still making many of the same mistakes he made day 1 in Stockton.

Aug 3, 2010
That really ****ing sucks...

I would’ve thought the Valimaki would’ve had a positive to it, but it seems the team just loves to make the same mistakes again and again...
I don't care for MacDonald, but care to expound on which "mistake" is being made?

After Valimaki went down for the count, -none- of the other defencemen (Kylington, Stone, Davidson, Yelesin) stood out consistently. MacDonald wasn't amazing but he looked consistent at least. Yes, he had at least one big blunder leading to a GA, but that's why he's going to be a depth addition.

The only other option is Djoos, who may not even make it down to Calgary for a claim.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wonder if the Flames would attempt to make a deal for Hickey @ 50% retained? (or have the cap space)
We could do it at 50%, yes, we could go as paying as high as 71% without salary going the other way. That would eat up every penny of our LTIR exemption.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It was obvious from the time of the injury Treliving didn't think Kylington was ready. There is a reason why he played extremely sheltered minutes last season and why we added Fanta, Kylington in a larger role will be a liability. He's slowly improving, but he's still making many of the same mistakes he made day 1 in Stockton.

I don't disagree with this.
But the dude still meant silver lining.

But even then, it turns out there was no silver lining as the silver was a foil wrapper from a juicy fruit.

Dammit Oliver! (Unless it makes us feel better in using him as currency in the Seattle expansion draft)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’d rather sink or swim with Stone and Kylington than take on another multi-year contract on the backend.
That has been my thought too, however, since we are likely only going to be able to retain one of Hamonic or Brodie, it could provide some insurance for next year in case Kylington doesn't step up or Valimaki is not the same when he returns and honestly, Hickey at 1.75 (30% retained) is not that bad

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I guess Dube's an early injury call-up? He couldn't outplay Reider and Rinaldo, or they want him middle 6 or nothing?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I guess Dube's an early injury call-up? He couldn't outplay Reider and Rinaldo, or they want him middle 6 or nothing?

Different roles for sure. Rinaldo is with the heat. Reider will likely be 4th line and PK. Better for Dube to play top line minutes with the Heat than 4th line here and rotated in and out.

Mangiapane and Tkachuk coming back hurt his chances, as well as Bennett pushing for a top six role.

If we have an injury in the top 9 I can definitely see him being the callup.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That has been my thought too, however, since we are likely only going to be able to retain one of Hamonic or Brodie, it could provide some insurance for next year in case Kylington doesn't step up or Valimaki is not the same when he returns and honestly, Hickey at 1.75 (30% retained) is not that bad

I don't disagree but given how tight we are to the cap, I would just steer clear. If Hickey loses a step that's almost another 2M in dead cap space.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Dube and Quine lost their job to rieder...that's not really good if you think about it

And yeah, the nhl waiver is a joke...but people always think somebody is going to be claimed...fools...lol

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dube and Quine lost their job to rieder...that's not really good if you think about it

And yeah, the nhl waiver is a joke...but people always think somebody is going to be claimed...fools...lol
Comrie and Dahlstrom were claimed today

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Quine losing his job to Rieder is hardly something to get worried over. Both of them are bottom-six/fringe NHLers. Dube losing his spot is worrying but more seasoning in the AHL with top minutes will only make him better I think.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Quine losing his job to Rieder is hardly something to get worried over. Both of them are bottom-six/fringe NHLers. Dube losing his spot is worrying but more seasoning in the AHL with top minutes will only make him better I think.

Somebody gonna get hurt real bad and then he will have his Quine in the spotlight. No worries.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kylington didn't have a great camp last year either, but had some really good games when he was up. Also had some pretty bad ones. I expect that will be the case for this season as well. Nice to have Stone to throw in whenever he needs a couple games off.

Dube not making the team isn't super surprising to me, although maybe slightly disappointing. Until there's room in the top 9 it just doesn't make sense to have him in the NHL. Still think he's one of the fastest players on the team and isn't afraid to hold on to the puck to make a play. Imagine he's #1 on the callup list.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, we have an opening night roster of...?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett/Mangiapane
Bennett/Mangiapane - Jankowski - Rieder
x: Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Andersson
x: Stone

Rittich
Talbot

Reactions: DFF

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So, we have an opening night roster of...?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett/Mangiapane
Bennett/Mangiapane - Jankowski - Rieder
x: Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Andersson
x: Stone

Rittich
Talbot
Bennett will be with Lucic and Ryan, based on earlier comments from the coach. Might get a chance to play up the lineup if he can play the way he did in the playoffs.

That'd push Mangiapane to the 4th line, probably with Jankowski and Rieder.

Czarnik eating popcorn regularly unless he can learn to PK.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Bennett will be with Lucic and Ryan, based on earlier comments from the coach. Might get a chance to play up the lineup if he can play the way he did in the playoffs.

That'd push Mangiapane to the 4th line, probably with Jankowski and Rieder.

Czarnik eating popcorn regularly unless he can learn to PK.

I don’t hate a Mangi-Janko-Rieder line actually. Flank Janko with some speed

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We are still missing another top shelf quality Right Winger going in to the season. See how it shakes out I guess. Seems like we are just trying to fill our roster holes with a lot of volume though. Wish we overpaid for Mark Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad