Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The 26 players on Team Murzyn are pretty much all the veterans + Gillies, I remember reading an article where Tre said they wanted to keep all their NHL players/veterans in the same group as opposed to splitting them up like they normally would because he felt it helped the team gel better like it did in China last year

Sep 13, 2009
Idk, I feel like Mangiapane has a right to try and get an extra 100k or two.

What makes you think that? He's a bottom-six forward that has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer. Plus the Flames are in a cap crunch. He will make $800,000 or he can sit, it's as simple as that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Something that recent signings have reminded me about is how players may want a 2-year deal because of how they can make it impact their next qualifying offer.

If Mangiapane wants 2 years where the Flames want 1, it's probably a situation where Mangiapane is asking for a back-loaded contract so that his qualifying offer will be higher. The AAV may be only off by a hundred thousand, but the minimum on the next contract could be off by much more than that.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Something that recent signings have reminded me about is how players may want a 2-year deal because of how they can make it impact their next qualifying offer.

If Mangiapane wants 2 years where the Flames want 1, it's probably a situation where Mangiapane is asking for a back-loaded contract so that his qualifying offer will be higher. The AAV may be only off by a hundred thousand, but the minimum on the next contract could be off by much more than that.
Assuming their word can be taken at face value, Mangiapane's agent said they submitted a 1 year offer and Treliving said the Mangiapane camp is sticking to their guns about what they want. In your scenario there is also the risk of not living up to the deal and not receiving a qualifying offer, sure you become a UFA, but there is always a bit of stigma about being cut loose in that way.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Regardless of how negotiations between Tkachuk and Treliving are going, it definitely won't get done before training camp ends. They might agree to terms but it almost definitely would mean that someone would have to get shipped out after it gets made official (e.g. Frolik) and it would reflect poorly on the Flames to disrupt a player's training camp to accomodate someone else

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Regardless of how negotiations between Tkachuk and Treliving are going, it definitely won't get done before training camp ends. They might agree to terms but it almost definitely would mean that someone would have to get shipped out after it gets made official (e.g. Frolik) and it would reflect poorly on the Flames to disrupt a player's training camp to accomodate someone else
Oh ye of little faith, we don't need to be compliant until Oct. 1st (iirc), and trading someone during camp isn't really disturbing their camp, they'd lose like 1 day when they go to their new team.

I have no sources and no evidence, just a gut feeling, but I think there is a deal for Frolik in the hopper if we need it, but we are waiting to see if we can get Chucky signed for under $7m. Which would allow us to waive and demote Czarnik and keep Frolik.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I mean, Mangiapane can petition for that extra 100k-200k but it's all about risk vs. benefit of doing so.

Holding out means the organization probably gives his spot to someone else, he misses a year of NHL time and likely has to go to a new org and hope he can win a spot despite missing out on that crucial development time.

Or, he can sign for what is being offered, increase his value by playing, and cash in on an 'actual' NHL contract next season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I don't care if we ruin Frolik's training camp, TBH.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I mean, Mangiapane can petition for that extra 100k-200k but it's all about risk vs. benefit of doing so.

Holding out means the organization probably gives his spot to someone else, he misses a year of NHL time and likely has to go to a new org and hope he can win a spot despite missing out on that crucial development time.

Or, he can sign for what is being offered, increase his value by playing, and cash in on an 'actual' NHL contract next season.
I predict that Mangi caves on the 19th or 20th if he cannot agree to terms prior. He misses a week of camp but is back in time to get into 4/5 of the exhibition games.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

My brain is fried, but i seem to recall a convo I had with Luna that Mangiapane's camp want 1 year and management wants 2 years. This would mean Mango wants to bet on himself and get a pay raise after this season (which is prime expansion position). This is actually kinda odd and funny because it's the total opposite of what management did with a bunch of other fringe ish guys that they weren't sure about their future performance: Byron, Bouma. The Bouma one blew up in management's face for sure. The Byron one worked fine, minus the bad luck waiving of Spulll (due to Kassian's contract termination thing allowing Montreal enough contract space to take Byron). If anything, it is starting to look a little like the Janko/Bennett directions of contract negotiations.

That, or management wants two years so that Seattle knows what Mango is and can salivate at the idea of knowing what they would get, rather than have to be the group that negotiates a contract with him?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I've seen this years and have always wondered what it is and how it relates to Paul Byron.

It was a picture on a tweet after Montreal claimed him. I don't know where the tweet is or who tweeted it, but maybe someone can dig it up. Essentially Bryon wrote a message on a board and signed off as Spulll.

It is supposedly short for Small Paul, Byron's nickname with team mates. How the hell he decided to combine Small Paul to Spulll is beyond me though.

EDIT dug up the pic in a CP thread:

CQpwP8fUwAAOqI5.jpg:large

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

If they're moving Lindholm to centre, either Ryan will be the fourth line centre or unconventionally, they're experimenting with Monahan on the wing here and there. That'd be fun.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

If they're moving Lindholm to centre, either Ryan will be the fourth line centre or unconventionally, they're experimenting with Monahan on the wing here and there. That'd be fun.

I think Monahan at LLW is the best, followed closely by LW.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bold prediction here:

I predict that Mangiapane and Treliving will come to a contract agreement by Monday Sept 16. :crossfing

2 yrs x $1M AAV (1st @ $900,000 & 2nd @ $1.1M)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Lindholm at center means Backlund is 3rd line center, not moving Monahan to wing. Peters has said repeatedly he's not splitting up Gaudreau and Monahan.

I don't know who Mangiapane's agent is, but he needs to be fired ASAP. You've barely established yourself as an NHL'er and your missing arguably your most important training camp to sit out on a contract that is either 1 way (opposed to 2 way), or 1 year (opposed 2). Like dude, seriously? Who the hell is giving this kid advice? In relative terms you have accomplished nothing in the NHL, why are you holding out? f***ing ridiculous and I blame the agent 90% for this situation.

I understand Tkachuk's holdout, he deserves to get paid and with all the other RFA's holding out I get it with the recent Matthews and Aho contracts (short and loaded), but Mangiapane? You have no leverage and all you're doing is risking losing a roster spot to Smith-Pelley or Dube or another rookie. Baffles the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->