Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
wich rookies or kids who havent played in the NHL yet.. or very very little are doing well in the really early training camp.

for MOntreal after 2 days.. ;)

GOOD STUFF:
Latendresse is putting quite a show.. continues to get praise from everyone..
Perezhogin is getting more confortable and his moves, speed are there Koivu seem to like what he sees. (-)

NOT SO GOOD STUFF:
Kostitsyn so early but heard he is trying to make moves more than anything else..

NOT MAKING NOISE RIGHT NOW:
Higgins (+)
Plekanec (+++)
Chipchura
Price
(+)

Its pretty early and i am not saying anything more than its early but gotta follow the progress too.

What about your team.

UPDATE:
after day 3 in training camp

RISING:
Higgins
Perezhogin
Price

Hainsey

SLOW DOWN A BIT:
Latendresse

SLOWING DOWN:
Halak

OVERALL RATING: (really take it lightly, i write on reviews from people at habs boards, article in papers and internet. also i put rating compared to their role.)

JUST UPDATED !! OCTOBER 1ST.

Perezhogin: 7.5 (offensive player)
Higgins: 8.0 (2way player)
Latendresse: 8.5 (banger, scorer)
Hainsey: 7.0 (Offensive defenseman)
*Price: 8.0 (goalie)
Plekanec 8.5 (2way center)
*Halak: 7.5 (Goalie)
Streit: 7.0 ( 2way Defensive, smart more than physical)
*Lapierre 7.5 (little pest, with some offensive capacities)
others.. dont know ...
*Chipchura : 7.0 (2 way player)

* = SENT BACK TO JUNIOR/AHL

ok now some updates.. sorry loll

Marcel Hossa: gone to Rangers, had a great camp but seems like other players will take his spots..

Chris Higgins: no points in preseason so far.. but.. has played with fire and smarts will be on the starting lineup.. despite no production.

Tomas Plekanec: has been getting better and better, he is a serious worker and has leadership qualities. has been producing a lot recently, he as a sport secure.

Alex Perezhogin: he hasnt produce the way he was suppose to, still has been doing well and might get a shot.. but AHL is a possibility, once he find his rythm again he will produce, that the way management think about him..

Guillaume Latendresse: seem like he secured his spot.. but nothing his sure here, he seem to have gained loads of respect.. tonight he wont get dressed has he will play tomorow instead against Ottawa in Montreal. Julien said he has seen enough about Latendresse and knows already what he can bring to the team.. wich is a great vote of confidence imo.

Mark Streit: Nothing impressive, seem like he is doing well but not great.. he might get a spot but still a battle with Hainsey.. nothing to write about.. but still i do.. lol

Ron Hainsey: see above but you can add also that he continue to have his usual braincramps.

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Definately Schremp with the Oilers along with Stastny (although Statsny didn't play in the first game due to injury, he looked great in the rookie camp)

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Steen, and Kronwall have surprised at the camp. Colaiacovo is doing his thing as always.

Rumour actually does have Steen playing the LW for Mats on the top line now, that's from the Toronto Star. I think that's pretty good news for the young man. The other good news for him is that Pat Quinn has used the obvious, and best comparison for Alex, saying "he looks like his father" on the ice.

I can't think of many better compliments when you're trying to make a roster spot, than saying "he reminds me of that guy who put up very solid offensive numbers, all the while being a leader on the ice, off the ice, and solid defensively.".

I'm calling for Steen to make the team, Kronwall to make the team, and sadly Carlo losing out to Marchment for the last spot, due to experience/the playing time factor.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
With the Isles holding camp in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia it's a bit hard to get first hand info, but from the reports coming out it sounds like the two Finns are doing really good - Sean Bergenheim and Petteri Nokelainen.

The Isles website is making it sound like Nilsson has been dazzling too, but I'll wait on that until I hear it from another source.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Washington: (aside from Ovechkin)

I haven't been able to attend, but reports are that Chris Bourque has looked pretty good.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
At the rookie tourney, Glass, Meszaros and Eaves were Ottawa's top performers - in that order.

No real word on the impact at training camp yet, but Brandon Bochenski has been put on a line to start camp with Spezza and Heatley, which has made the headlines. Murray says that given Bochenski has scored at every level thus far, he wants to give him a fair shake at camp. (Bochenski scored 30 goals in the AHL as a rookie last year while developing chemistry with Spezza)

Unlike Jacques Martin, Murray has clearly set the lines up as he sees them going forward, although they will undoubtedly get shaken up a bit. Martin used to evenly split up all the lines, so it used to be there was a mix of players on each line from high to low on the depth chart. No longer.

Murray was also pretty vocal about how unimpressed he was with how the team ran through skill drills given they are supposed to be a highly skilled team. He then stated a few of the rookies outpeformed the vets in their fitness testing, which also didn't impress him (those vets - although he didn't name them).

A very different world from the previous 8 seasons under Jacques Martin.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Cush said:
Washington: (aside from Ovechkin)

I haven't been able to attend, but reports are that Chris Bourque has looked pretty good.

Also from the first couple of days: Zalesak and Schultz.

Yonkman is also doing well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
- In Detroit Valtteri Filppula is getting some notice with his speed and offensive abilities.
- Kronwall has had his roster spot locked up for over a year now just waiting for the games to start.
- Jimmy Howard is also very strong in net and likely has won the Grand Rapids starting position. Ought to be able to challenge for an NHL spot in a year or two. Plus he apparently has the personality to be able to handle the big leagues (and the Detroit goalie pressure). Very laid back and calm.
- Robin Big Snake is turning heads as a tryout. Mostly due to his name but quite possibly has landed himself an AHL job with his willingness to get his hands dirty.

X0ssbar

From what I've read and seen thus far, Alexandre Picard and Kris Russel have looked great in camp.

Although I just read an update from today's scrimmage on another board that Picard was layed out in camp today by Brandon "Sugar" Sugden and had to leave the ice. Stories like these tend to get bigger by the megabite so take that for what its worth.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
norrisnick said:
- Robin Big Snake is turning heads as a tryout. Mostly due to his name but quite possibly has landed himself an AHL job with his willingness to get his hands dirty.

This surprises me - given he was a headache in Owen Sound and may have hurt them more then helped them.

Tom

X-SHARKIE

Michalek - hands look even better, bigger and stronger at 220, looks to play with more of a physical edge and chippyness. Confident, and using his shot much more. Pencilled in for a 2nd line spot with ekman and McCauley at this point.

Setoguchi - Has shown better skating then expected, and looks to be a very smart player, keeping his head on a swivvel and reading the play. Showing alot of grit and electrifying skill.

Not so hot camp

Lukas Kaspar - Invisible mostly, nothing special. Doesn't look to have progressed over the summer.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Im not a Islanders fan but being Nova Scotian i have heard that Nilsson is having a good camp so far as well as the fact that has had a good time (meaning has had no problems adjusting to the N.A. game or lifestyle)

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
This surprises me - given he was a headache in Owen Sound and may have hurt them more then helped them.

Tom

The same one he gave each of his WHL teams. He has some skills and is tough, and certainly has the name, but off the ice, he's been nothing but trouble.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
There hasn't been a ton of action from the young guys in Calgary from what I've heard, sounds like Phaneuf is a stellar as always though.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
To address the Big Snake off ice issues. That is going to be a much bigger problem on a team full of teenagers in Juniors than on a professional team. A bad egg can really undermine other kids but he's going to find it hard to be that much of an issue on a pro squad (provided he makes it of course). If he takes that extra step of development to realize that hockey is his job now, he might be alright.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Wouldnt this be a great year for a Young Gunz allstar game? Lets sign a petition. :handclap:

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
From what I've read and seen thus far, Alexandre Picard and Kris Russel have looked great in camp.

Although I just read an update from today's scrimmage on another board that Picard was layed out in camp today by Brandon "Sugar" Sugden and had to leave the ice. Stories like these tend to get bigger by the megabite so take that for what its worth.
Can Russell handle the physical aspects of the game? has he added any weight? very skilled but small from my understanding.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HOCKEY_GURU said:
Can Russell handle the physical aspects of the game? has he added any weight? very skilled but small from my understanding.

Well from my understanding is that Russell isn't a smallish defenseman in the Ian White mold. But that he's a very complete player and is actually quite physical.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
usiel said:
that is too funny..slow news day for tsn?

Normal news day in Canada. And I can gaurentee you the link to that article was clicked thousands of times more than 'Astros face Marlins in wild card battle ' or 'Goosen among big winners at Match Play'.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
if radulov were a year older, it'd be hard to keep him off nashville's roster, let alone send him back to juniors or the AHL.he's been incredible...and Weber has basically played his way into "first call-up" status. Had Eaton not been re-signed, Weber likely would have made the team out of camp. He's been a monster physically and positionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad