Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G Biv*

I don't know if it has been mentionned, but Meszeros is owning at the Sens camp. He even had a nice goal against Toronto, blowing by Domi (doesn't mean much, but still). He looks like a definite future first pairing defenceman.

He has almost assured himself a spot on the team, but I would still rather have Schubert there.

He could still bust (I doubt it) but I think a lot of GM's screwed up by not taking him before #23.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
Latendresse continues to show some impressive stuff
in his first preseason game he scored 2 goals and 1 assist
he did hit a lot and was named first star of the game

and Jean Béliveau said he really like the kid and it was good to see a young player play hockey like its suppose to be played

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Well, Benoit Pouliot and Peter Olvecky outlasted the likes of Erik Westrum and Rikkard Wallin in the Wild camp. I don't really expect either one to be on the final roster, but they must be doing pretty well to make it to the final 27.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Rene Bourque has looked solid in camp. He is our best offensive prospect but has looked good in all areas of the game. He appears to have locked up a spot onour second line.

Pavel Vorobiev came to life and is starting to show some of his skills. With his goal and shootout goal the other day he is making a strong bid to make the team now.
He survived the most recent cut down to 28.

Anton Babchuck was a bit disappointing and was sent to Norfolk. So if we keep 7 defensemen it will be 2 oou of the three of Barker, Seabrook, and Duncan Keith. Skillwise, Barker looks head and shoulders the best of the 3 but could probably use some more development time, too bad he cant be sent to the AHL. Since he can only go to Juniors, he presents an interesting dilemma. The race is too close to call at this point. The young dmen have looked so simpressive they mave have relegated Tood Simpson to the #7 dman / pressbox seat.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Polak for the stars has come out of nowhere to be great but could still be sent down. Finns Miettinen and Jokinin will make the team

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
scout46 said:
Is Suglobov's time slipping away? Will he wind up back home?
No clue...I really hope not. With Bergfors playing well in camp (a rw scorer) Suglobov'value in the organization may have slipped a little.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
For the Sharks, most fans were pleasantly surprised by Setoguchi's play. He seemed worthy of being a top-10 pick. Not surprising was Milan Michalek's play. Some of us were worried whether he would return to form after two years off and multiple knee surgeries, but he's looking much stronger than he did when he made the NHL roster 2 years ago (although some reports say he has lost a bit of his acceleration).

Transported Upstater

Cerebral said:
It is starting to look like Rob Schremp has a very solid chance to crack the Oilers lineup this season. Where he fits in isn't exactly clear thus far but he's been scoring goals like mad so far and will likely secure a roster spot if he keeps scoring in the pre-season...

I watched Schremp and Dustin Brown for several years at the pre-OHL level; they played their Bantam/Minor Junior years in my hometown with the Syracuse Stars minor programs.

Same thing with Robert Esche and Tim Connolly. I could walk from my hometown to Connolly's. Our high schools were rivals.

Transported Upstater

henri2014 said:
Latendresse continues to show some impressive stuff
in his first preseason game he scored 2 goals and 1 assist
he did hit a lot and was named first star of the game

and Jean Béliveau said he really like the kid and it was good to see a young player play hockey like its suppose to be played

The top 3 picks in the 2003 QMJHL draft really turned out well for the teams. Crosby was a given. But Latendresse and Luc Bourdon also became great prospects.

Latendresse, specifically, is EXACTLY the type of player the Canadiens need, and Bourdon fits the Canucks' mold of 2-way solid skating D-men to a tee.

I do think Latendresse and Bourdon will return to the Q, but I think both will be among the top 10 players in the league.

Transported Upstater

Bookman said:
Well, Benoit Pouliot and Peter Olvecky outlasted the likes of Erik Westrum and Rikkard Wallin in the Wild camp. I don't really expect either one to be on the final roster, but they must be doing pretty well to make it to the final 27.

I really like Pouliot. Perfect player for the Wild. But I definitely think he needs another year at Sudbury, and then maybe some minor-league time. He has to mature physically IMO. But he has much upside as anyone outside of Crosby in the '05 draft; I thought he was the 2nd or 3rd best player (I thought Crosby, Jack Johnson and Pouliot were the best, with the margin separating Pouliot and Johnson being small.)

As for Wallin, I expected a bigger stand than that... How are Veilieux (sp?) and Wanvig(sp) doing?

Transported Upstater

Chainshot said:
Thomas Vanek has started to click with Danny Briere, notching both the game tying and OT game winning goals tonight against the Caps. He's been putting on a show in the scrimmages as well.

Patrick Kaleta has turned some heads with his tenacious hitting in the intra-squad scrimmages this last week.

Mark Mancari has been one of the best Sabre forwards IMO all week. Now it remains to be seen if the Sabres decide to sign him or not. With Regier's track record, I would think he's going back to the OHL and then on to UFA next summer.

I saw Rochester twice last year, once against my hometown Crunch, and once in a Binghamton/Rochester game, and was VERY impressed with Vanek. The only player I thought was better in either of those games was Jason Spezza.

Vanek could realistically be the best goal scorer the Sabres have had since Alexander Mogilny.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
TransportedUpstater said:
As for Wallin, I expected a bigger stand than that

As did we all -

TransportedUpstater said:
How are Veilieux (sp?) and Wanvig(sp) doing?

Veilleux appears to have his spot locked up - Wanvig had a nice 2 goal game, but Foy appears to be pushing him for the last spot. The Wild brass seem to be saying that Wanvig has earned his shot, but I think they like what they're seeing from Foy better.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Sorry in advance if this was mentioned.

Guess who is close to playing his way onto the Capital's starting roster?

One Mr. Chris Bourque.

A guy who was criticized for being too small and drafted too early has shown nothing but the ability to eventually play in the NHL since he was drafted.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Some of Minnesota's rookies have been really impressive.

- Peter Olvecky: This guy I was really surprised with. First, I was surprised that he was signed to a contract a year after we drafted him. Second he has stayed with the team after two cuts. And from the sounds of it, he is making a strong push to make the Wild roster this year.

- Matt Foy: Not a great season for him last year or the year before that but the guy has speed (which is going to be a huge advantage in the NHL this year). He is also making a strong push to make the Wild roster.

- Kyle Wanvig: This guy is a mystery. Could be a great power forward in a year or two or he could be a huge bust. He has the strength but man...he doesn't have much else.

- Derek Boogaard: First people say he can't make it to the Pro Level. He makes the ECHL. Then most say he won't see time in the AHL. He has played there and PROGRESSED for two years now. Now most people think it's a joke he can play in the NHL. Well he is making a strong push against Andrei Nazarov and it appear he might have the job. He had some great games and some uh not so great but the guy isn't as slow as people think he is. He positions himself well and he's strong. The guy is 6'7"...He's a enforcer. He isn't suppose to be a razzle-dazzle forward, he is suppose to beat the crap out of other enforcers and be intimidating. He is suppose to have good positioning. And guess what? He is all of that. Laugh all you want but look at guys like Brooksbank and Peters and Orr.

- Benoit Pouliot: Looks loss some of the time but he will make a real strong case next season. Franchise player? Most likely.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ok now some updates.. sorry loll

Marcel Hossa: gone to Rangers, had a great camp but seems like other players will take his spots..

Chris Higgins: no points in preseason so far.. but.. has played with fire and smarts will be on the starting lineup.. despite no production.

Tomas Plekanec: has been getting better and better, he is a serious worker and has leadership qualities. has been producing a lot recently, he as a sport secure.

Alex Perezhogin: he hasnt produce the way he was suppose to, still has been doing well and might get a shot.. but AHL is a possibility, once he find his rythm again he will produce, that the way management think about him..

Guillaume Latendresse, seem like he secured his spot.. but nothing his sure here, he seem to have gained loads of respect.. tonight he wont get dressed has he will play tomorow instead against Ottawa in Montreal. Julien said he has seen enough about Latendresse and knows already what he can bring to the team.. wich is a great vote of confidence imo.

Mark Streit: Nothing impressive, seem like he is doing well but not great.. he might get a spot but still a battle with Hainsey.. nothing to write about.. but still i do.. lol

Ron Hainsey: see above but you can add also that he continue to have his usual braincramps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad