Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i keep hearing staal is playing very well in the rangers training camp...solid, 2-way game. i think that's pretty impressive for a just drafted defenseman in his first NHL training camp. still probably won't make the team, but he might be ready for the NHL sooner than expected

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Levitate said:
i keep hearing staal is playing very well in the rangers training camp...solid, 2-way game. i think that's pretty impressive for a just drafted defenseman in his first NHL training camp. still probably won't make the team, but he might be ready for the NHL sooner than expected

Same with Bourdon in Vancouver, except instead of solid and 2-way, his game could be described as flashy and physical. But his decision making/hockey sense needs some work.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Slightly off topic but still relevant,
has anybody heard this...according to local TV here in Montreal, if Latendresse plays even ONE (1) game in the regular season, it would count as a contract season and one year closer to free agency.

I was always under the impression that the 10-games rule still applied in the new CBA...i.e. players could play up to 9 games in the NHL, and then still be sent back to the CHL without the season counting as a contract year.

Can anyone confirm that the rule in the new CBA has been changed? If true, I think this thread will be somewhat irrelevant because teams won't want to keep a junior player for the entire season guaranteed.

I'd hate to see this be true, because there are so many great young talents out there with excellent shots at making opening-night lineups at the very least.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Apparently Pittsburgh has a rookie in camp with some potential.;)
3 pts. in 4-1 win today in pittsburgh's intrasquad tournament.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
usiel said:
that is too funny..slow news day for tsn?

Wonder how Ovechkin's doing? All we get up here is 10 minutes of Crosby on every sports show, nothing on Ovechkin.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
octopi said:
Wonder how Ovechkin's doing? All we get up here is 10 minutes of Crosby on every sports show, nothing on Ovechkin.

That's not true.... TSN's Sportscentre talked to Ovechkin......

And asked him why Crosby was getting all the attention.

Ha.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Lundqvist has been the best goalie so far at training camp. Weekes, Montoya, Holt, and Blackburn are also there. Doesn't look like he's have any trouble with a NA rink.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i've been everyday to the preds training camp so far...and the preds have three rookies/prospects playing lights out after the first couple of scrimmages...radulov,weber and suter...not that this surprises anyone here in the least..Kevin Klein has looked really solid so far too and has bulked up from last year...as has the new first rounder defensiveman Ryan Parent,who is bigger and faster than advertised..Pikka Rinne continues to look really solid in net and should make Milwaukee an excellent backup goalie this year... and Brian Finley was unscored on in today's scrimmage..Upshall is fighting for a spot as is Shishkanov, Gamache,Pivko ,and Haydar

to be honest,the future looks bright right now down here

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Steen has been turning heads at the Leafs camp.

Quinn said he looks like his dad on the ice.

can't get much better praise then that.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It is starting to look like Rob Schremp has a very solid chance to crack the Oilers lineup this season. Where he fits in isn't exactly clear thus far but he's been scoring goals like mad so far and will likely secure a roster spot if he keeps scoring in the pre-season...

gapandrun

Sep 14, 2005
Great thread....would love to have this keep going through training camps....unfortunately nothing to add yet...but thanks to all who have.

gapper

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
This is the news out of Kings Camp.

Cammellari is paired up with Roenick and Frolov and is tearing it up. Everyone who has been to camp has said that This line if kept together should be VERY EXCITING to watch.

Frolov while not as much of a prospect but still pretty young looks to of added 15 Lb.s of muscle and looks very poised with his skating having improved.

Brown is a freaking Monster this year. He has come into camp Yoked. He is on a line with Demitra and Conroy and they have not really clicked yet.

Kopitar is looking awesome. He is going back to Sweeden on unday as per his contract. He has a rocket of a shot, soft hands, plays pretty physical, and can walk on water while eating a hot dog and not spilling his beer. He could easilly center a line in Manchester.

Tukonen is not looking spectacular but very steady. One poster said he looks identical to Brown at his first camp. ANother said he mistook him for Frolov. They said he has a good power game with some nifty moves to boot.

Petiot may challenge for the sixth defensman role but will probly anchor the Manchester Defense with Grebeshkov.

Grebeshkov just got to camp today.

Tambellini I have not heard a word about.

Pushkarev has some sick *** hands and is not holding on to the puck as much. He is going to be in the Monarchs top 6. Murray said he is doing way better than he did at the rookie camp 2 months ago.

Gleason is hardly being noticed although his skating stands out. That in my opinion is the best thing you could or for that much NOT here about a young D-man.

Last edited:

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
montreal ghosts are awakenning

Hollywood hainsey is getting lot of praise from media for his progress and his play, seems to be putting togather what was expected of him, habs need him bog time to duo with komisarek to beat up on big bad bruins.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Habs4ever said:
Hollywood hainsey is getting lot of praise from media for his progress and his play, seems to be putting togather what was expected of him, habs need him bog time to duo with komisarek to beat up on big bad bruins.

Uh.. I dont know, as far as i am concerned i dont hope anything from Hainsey anymore, if he does well, better. still seem to have the same attitude.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
apparently Andrew Ladd, Niclas Nordgren and Vince Bellissimo have been lighting it up in training camp so far in Raleigh. I'll be able to give a better analasys of the situation when I get back from the game later tomorow/tonight.

Divine Wind

oil slick said:
Definately Schremp with the Oilers along with Stastny (although Statsny didn't play in the first game due to injury, he looked great in the rookie camp)

- Fredrik Pettersson and Viatcheslav Trukhno, both selected by the Oilers this year, have exceptional puck-handling skills and scoring ability. Trukhno is poised to break out in the Q this year, and Pettersson was drafted by the hitmen in the import draft. I expect big things from both this season.

- Agree with Shremp looking good. He has been scoring goals, which is what will get him on the team, even if only for a 10 game stint before returning to london. He has the best shot to make the Oilers IMO.

- Matt Greene has an outside chance, but will most likely play the season in Hamilton with the odd call up if the injury bug hits.

- Zach Stortini and J.F. Jacques both also had excellent camps. Very slim chance either makes the team though, they will also most likely be sent down to Hamilton to start the season.

- Liam Reddox and Roman Tesliuk had terrible camps. I am hoping it was just nerves of playing at their first NHL training camp, we shall as the season progresses.

- Dubnyk has improved his positioning, but still needs to fill out his large lanky frame and work on his speed.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
octopi said:
After Kovalchuk & Spezza were drafted, Spezza was getting all the (positive) attention from Canadian media. Every article on Kovalchuk contained some kind of a dig at his "character", and Spezza was praised for his grit, team play, etc. I guess it's natural for the media to back the local boys. Also, Ovechkin is charismatic, but his English is not great. In a year, when he is comfortable with the language, you'll see a lot more of him.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
SSJTOM said:
Steen has been turning heads at the Leafs camp.

Quinn said he looks like his dad on the ice.

can't get much better praise then that.

I don't think that's very good praise at all. Quinn's dad has to be pretty old if he's still even alive.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Keep an eye on Chris Campoli in Isles camp.
He's apparently snagged an early lead on the third pairing, becoming attached at the hip with Brad Lukowich. Considering the season Campoli had in the AHL last year, playing with a steady stay-at-home like Luke should enable him to show some stuff.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Shea Weber destroyed Adam Hall (who is a big boy himself) yesterday. Shea has looked very impressive, but not as impressive as Suter to this point. Kevin Klein is also turning some heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->