Training camp, rookies who are putting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Here's some stuff from the Wild camp scrimmages:

Benoit Pouliot , the Wild’s first round pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, put Team Green up 1-0 when he beared in on the left side and sent a wrist shot toward the net. Pouliot’s shot was deflected by a Team White stick, causing it to sail over the shoulder of Team White goaltender, Miroslav Kopriva ... The only goal in the second half came courtesy of the French connection of Pascal Dupuis, Pouliot and Bouchard. Bouchard continued his strong camp by adding a goal in the second half of the scrimmage after a gorgeous feed from behind the net from Pouliot.

Wild Head Coach Jacques Lemaire agreed, saying he’s been very impressed with how Koivu has fit in seamlessly on the same rink as long-time NHL veterans.

During the scrimmage, Burns pinched low in the offensive zone where was the recipient of a beautiful cross-ice pass from Koivu. Burns one-timed the puck past Kopriva for the best five-on-five goal of the day.

Koivu is expected to make the team, but Pouliot would be a major surprise.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Atlanta Camp Scrimmage: line of LaVallee, Savard, Vigier

According to Atlanta's web site and a quote from their GM (Waddell) -- this line was dominant in the first scrimmage accounting for all three goals in a 3-0 victory. I don't know what this means, but its nice to see another of the CHL'ers -- Jordan LaVallee -- stepping up.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
the_gman83 said:
That's not true.... TSN's Sportscentre talked to Ovechkin......

And asked him why Crosby was getting all the attention.

Ha.

Like his response...."he is a superstar, I am not"

wow...what a cocky self centered ego-maniac.....Im sure that will be on the bulliten board of every team.....he's gonna get killed

/SARCASM

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Mothra said:
Like his response...."he is a superstar, I am not"

wow...what a cocky self centered ego-maniac.....Im sure that will be on the bulliten board of every team.....he's gonna get killed

/SARCASM
Yea, i kinda felt bad for him. He really has proved alot and any other year he would be on the main stage.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
LaVallee , Savard, Vigier line in Atlanta scrimmage

This line stood out during the first scrimmage on Friday accounting for all three of the Red Team's goals (Savard 2, LaVallee 1).

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Many have said that Kopitar looks like an NHLer already and in an LA Times column this morning they said the Kings are trying to encourage him to stay in the states this year instead of goin back overseas. Not bad for a 17 year old.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Absolut said:
In a year, when he is comfortable with the language, you'll see a lot more of him.

I think as more Canadians and media realize how good he is - he'll definately get more press time. I doubt it will ever be as much as Crosby even if he outperforms him, though.

Tom

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Getzlaf was a man among boys at the rookie tourney (won the tourney MVP) and is lighting it up in camp games.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
guys i suggest a format for everyone doing day to day updates... no need to be perfect, but look at my original post, i will try to modify it.. so its easier to see the evolution of the camp.. and players..

anyway, after day three:

Higgins and Perezhogin are hot and getting loads of appreciation.

Latendresse apparently is slowing down a bit.. i mean.. its more than expected.. is no machine.. not officially yet..

anyway.. have a good day.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
At the wings camp Filpulla has been tremendous, showing off his stickhandling skills as well as displaying both good offensive and defensive ability. From the sound of things he'll crack the Detroit lineup before Hudler does, and I can't say that it would bother me one bit.

Matt Ellis and Johan Franzen are being praised by coach Mike Babcock for their hard work and both could likely earn a spot in the lineup and I'm hoping they do.

James Howard has also been talked about a lot too and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him fight for the job as wings' starter as early as next season.

For a free agent tryout Robin Big Snake has been showing some promise and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was signed to the AHL or ECHL.

On the downside, forward Jiri Hudler has been quiet and will most likely be sent back to the AHL.
Darryl Bootland is another forward I was expecting to at least get noticed but I haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere. I'm hoping he kicks it up a notch and gets the attention of his coach.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
wow, i dont know any of those players.. other than Hudler.. is it the rookies talents in the wings that is lacking or those guys are coming from anywhere? sorry i didnt follow as much the wings prospects.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crusher20 said:
wow, i dont know any of those players.. other than Hudler.. is it the rookies talents in the wings that is lacking or those guys are coming from anywhere? sorry i didnt follow as much the wings prospects.

Eh, it's ok. Wings' prospects no matter how good they are don't seem to have much fanfair around here.

Howard is (In my opinion, and a few others here on this board at least) One of the top 5 goaltending prospects...possibly top 3 and I think he'll open up a lot of eyes this season.

Filpulla had a tremendous WJC U20 in 2003-2004 with 9 points in 7 games. Here's some more info on him.

Franzen will be a career 3rd/4th line winger or center but he's big, he's fast, he works his *** off and he plays physical and is good defensively.
Also another thing that wings fans will love about him is he broke Peter Forsberg's wrist last season with a hit.
Matt Ellis is probably the most improved and hardest working prospect I've ever seen. When the wings first signed him he looked like he was skating through mud. Now he's a much better skater, a very good faceoff guy and is sound defensively. Again he'll be another career 3rd-4th liner most likely in the Mike Eastwood mold.

The wings since 2002 have had pretty good luck drafting and signing potential 3rd liners like Franzen, Meech, Sierhei Kolasau, Oulahan, Quincey, Darren Helm and Jeff May as well as signing Bootland (Who I hope pans out soon) Matt Ellis and Nate Robinson (Who the wings should have kept around, IMO).
Hopefully some of their pics from this year like Abdelkadr, Kindl, Rhyno and Lofberg work out as well. They could become top end players.

Roger's Pancreas*

I was reading some reports on another Flyers message board and there have been some pretty positive things said about Carter.

-Carter had a coool double move on Meyer and sped around him toward the net.
-It was interesting to see Carter instructing Gagne several times. Have seen this from Carter before, and now realizing his leadership tendencies.
-Carter made a quick hold and drag move and pass to Gagne. Coool
-With a shoulder fake, a flying Carter "ate-up" Desjardins and blew past him

posted by Zeke from orangeandblack.net

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
pucks1 said:
Yea, i kinda felt bad for him. He really has proved alot and any other year he would be on the main stage.

Meh, Ovechkin will be fine.

Seems to have a sense of humor, which is more than you can say for many other players.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Getzlaf and Konopka for Anaheim.

Perry is also starting to feel more comfortable out there.

Smid has been quiet, he definetly needs a year in the AHL.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Carlo is stepping up at Leafs Camp.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/09/16/1219571-sun.html

But the young defenceman yesterday served up a reminder to those in attendance at the Ricoh Coliseum of just how much of a talent he can be in the offensive zone.

With his squad down 2-1 to Team Sundin and the goalie on the bench in favour of a sixth attacker, Colaiacovo rocketed up from his defensive position to join one final rush, resulting in his tying goal.

Team Sundin would go on to post a 4-2 shootout victory over Colaiacovo's Team Lindros in a morning scrimmage, but the score was overshadowed by his heroics.

Good to see Carlo getting better not just offensivly but Defensivly as well.

oh and Legionnaire :biglaugh: you crack me up.

:handclap: :bow:

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Crusher20 said:

As for Filppulla, other than his talent level 2 comments that I've read have stuck in my mind, one that hes a poor mans Zetterberg, and the other is that hes the best prospect since Koivu (hopefully they meant Saku)...so take this for what its worth ;)

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Fan-of-#9 said:
Dan Paille and Mark Mancari are apparently impressing the Sabres staff in camp.

Future line? Paille-Roy-Mancari?? (The future GRIND line of the NHL)
Vanek has been quite the beast as well, but yes, Mancari has been a huge surprise for alot of Sabrefans that weren't familiar with his game. Good to see.

Dylan Hunter had a nice goal today....on a great feed from Mancari.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
PigPen said:
Franzen will be a career 3rd/4th line winger or center but he's big, he's fast, he works his *** off and he plays physical and is good defensively.
Also another thing that wings fans will love about him is he broke Peter Forsberg's wrist last season with a hit.

You can love a player for injuring another player? :shakehead

However, I saw the hit, and it was clean though. Forsberg was just unlucky with having his hand at the wrong place.

BTW, this thread is great read. Keep it up! :handclap:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For the Bruins, Hannu Toivonen, Andrew Alberts, Ben Walter, and David Krejci have all been mentioned as having strong camps to this point.

Krejci scored a goal in tonight's intersquad scrimmage.

Deleted member 28548

Panasonic Youth said:
-It was interesting to see Carter instructing Gagne several times. Have seen this from Carter before, and now realizing his leadership tendencies.

The Sporting News NHL preview issue had a small feature on Carter mentioning how advanced his maturity was. The author made a point of saying he'd likely be teaching a lot of the vets several new tricks in training camp. Looks like that was bang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->