News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I have been so excited that our RWers have come in so thirsty for success. Last year we relied on a very similar group to step up and they fell flat. This year our RW has been one of the biggest highlights. Time to turn our attention to the LWers. Outside of Nuge I am not overly impressed.

Here is to hoping that the right side continues its success in the regular season, and the left side can improve greatly.

On another note, can Draisaitl please amp up his compete level. He is one of my favorites, but he has not been Drai at all this preseason.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Would like to see Garrison get a deal here pretty quick. I’d be comfortable with him as a #7.

He looked quite good last night.

yah, hes legit , good shot, doesn't panic too much , calm, decent skater

Looks like a Veteran, reminds me of Andy Sutton in that way, different players, but that veteran who knows what he's doing back there.

Really liked his initial interview he did with the two Jason's. Sounded like a guy that knew his role. Which was odd because he was now considering himself a defensive guy and no longer that guy with offense.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have been so excited that our RWers have come in so thirsty for success. Last year we relied on a very similar group to step up and they fell flat. This year our RW has been one of the biggest highlights. Time to turn our attention to the LWers. Outside of Nuge I am not overly impressed.

Here is to hoping that the right side continues its success in the regular season, and the left side can improve greatly.

On another note, can Draisaitl please amp up his compete level. He is one of my favorites, but he has not been Drai at all this preseason.

Nuge
Lucic
Potentially Reider
Kharia
Cagullia
Chaison
McLeod
Benson

While not an awe inspiring list 2 proven top 6 producers and 3 players obviously skilled enough for the bottom 6 isnt exactly a pressing concern.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I loved the Aberg pick-up, thought it was an excellent risk to take seeing his attributes. So I still kind of hope he manages to stay and put things together, but it doesn't look like it tbh.

Reactions: Cypress

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I loved the Aberg pick-up, thought it was an excellent risk to take seeing his attributes. So I still kind of hope he manages to stay and put things together, but it doesn't look like it tbh.

Yeah, I think Yam would have to be demoted, Chiasson not signed and/or Caggiula traded for him to stay.

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I think Yam would have to be demoted, Chiasson not signed and/or Caggiula traded for him to stay.
How does IR work? I'm wondering if they put Strome on it retroactively to pre-season, so that we have an extra spot for the trip.

Just as a whole I wonder if we see something like that to open up another spot

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
How does IR work? I'm wondering if they put Strome on it retroactively to pre-season, so that we have an extra spot for the trip.

Just as a whole I wonder if we see something like that to open up another spot

I think Strome practiced today. Not sure how the IR and preseason work

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nice thing about Bouchard if he does get third pair minutes is that TM loves to play his 3rd pairing with McDavid.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Ales+Hemsky+Kyle+Brodziak+Edmonton+Oilers+KJj2EUGBGGil.jpg

... But after him it does get shallow. Khaira at centre followed by Malone level shallow.

Marody was alright in pre-season tbh.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Seen too many good preseasons, only to be followed by a bad regular season. Not going to be overly excited with a preseason win, but at least there are good signs and hope for the season.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I hope we see one preseason game with:

Nuge - Mcdavid - Rattie
Yamo - Drai - Puju

As our top 6.

I think JP has earned a spot on the 2nd line so far in the preseason, Yamamoto has earned a spot in the line up and Bouchard has earned 9 games. We also need to change up the PP, it still looks like last year.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP
Reider-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

I really don’t see a need to push Puljujarvi up the lineup. He’s earned it, but he seems comfortable in a 3rd line role playing with Strome and Khaira. I really like the dynamic of that line.

What I would like to see is some 1st unit PP time for JP. Get Lucic off the 1st unit. It’s ludicrous that there’s not a single RHS on the current top unit. Would be different if they all had bombs or something, but Klefbom is the only guy with a heavy shot. JP should be a trigger man on the left side boards who can glide down low, run the PP like Tampa’s, JP can play the Stamkos role. Drai can sneak out of the right corner for net front presence if need be. Klefbom does Hedman’s role, McDavid does Kucherov (not quite the same shot though).

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I really don’t see a need to push Puljujarvi up the lineup. He’s earned it, but he seems comfortable in a 3rd line role playing with Strome and Khaira. I really like the dynamic of that line.

What I would like to see is some 1st unit PP time for JP. Get Lucic off the 1st unit. It’s ludicrous that there’s not a single RHS on the current top unit. Would be different if they all had bombs or something, but Klefbom is the only guy with a heavy shot. JP should be a trigger man on the left side boards who can glide down low, run the PP like Tampa’s, JP can play the Stamkos role. Drai can sneak out of the right corner for net front presence if need be. Klefbom does Hedman’s role, McDavid does Kucherov (not quite the same shot though).
I think Bouchard should be on the top PP over Klefbom honestly. Klefbom is ok offensively. I think Bouchard already passes, shoots and handles the puck better.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think Bouchard should be on the top PP over Klefbom honestly. Klefbom is ok offensively. I think Bouchard already passes, shoots and handles the puck better.

Can't disagree, just not sure what the plan is with him. Offensively he deserves to stay, but I've seen some flat out putrid gaffes in the defensive zone. Not being overly critical, I'm a huge Bouchard fan, but his game could use some growth in the defensive end. 1 year OHL and being a key piece at the WJC, one year AHL, then rookie of the year in 20-21.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Steelheads twitter account saying Ryan McLeod will be in the lineup Friday.

Kid had a hell of a camp, just too many bodies right now. I’d write him into the lineup in pen next year and would be really surprised if an ELC wasn’t announced soon.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Can't disagree, just not sure what the plan is with him. Offensively he deserves to stay, but I've seen some flat out putrid gaffes in the defensive zone. Not being overly critical, I'm a huge Bouchard fan, but his game could use some growth in the defensive end. 1 year OHL and being a key piece at the WJC, one year AHL, then rookie of the year in 20-21.
I don’t disagree. I just think when he’s in the lineup which he more or less will be for the first month or so he’s a better option on that unit than Klef. Especially with the righty lefty conundrum you mentioned.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Bouchard being a righty works against him with the new PP setup they're running. Mcdavid is running it off the left half wall so there's no one timer option up top if they put a righty.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Bouchard being a righty works against him with the new PP setup they're running. Mcdavid is running it off the left half wall so there's no one timer option up top if they put a righty.
Yeah, you’re right.
How perfectly Oilers is it to run the traditional setup all year with no right shots available and then switch it up when several right shot options open up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad