News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wonder what Strome's injury is significant. Would be frustrating if he can't start the season.
Sounded like a tweak

So Rieder could face being the 4th line LW if Kailer does well and Strome is healthy. Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson should be a very good defensive 4th line that can chip in offensively. That is what depth does to a team.
TM had a quote about certain players not necessarily being bad, but just not doing more. While there are others exceeding expectations and leaving others behind.

Sounds like Aberg, Caggiula and Reider are the ones he was talking about according to Struds.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sounded like a tweak

TM had a quote about certain players not necessarily being bad, but just not doing more. While there are others exceeding expectations and leaving others behind.

Sounds like Aberg, Caggiula and Reider are the ones he was talking about according to Struds.

None of them have showed well at camp. I'm surprised at Rieder with this being a contract year for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
None of them have showed well at camp. I'm surprised at Rieder with this being a contract year for him.
The sad thing as Struds pointed out Reider is going to get chances just because of that contract and because he's Draistil's friend.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The sad thing as Struds pointed out Reider is going to get chances just because of that contract and because he's Draistil's friend.

Well he's already off of that line and I expected it to be after the game in Germany. Todd knows that there is no time to screw around as his job is likely on the line.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Reider should be given chances. He has had success in the NHL over multiple seasons. Aberg and Cagguila are replacement level players. Neither has shown much, if anything, in the NHL (save for maybe a few good games). If they arent performing, they can be left behind

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Reider should be given chances. He has had success in the NHL over multiple seasons. Aberg and Cagguila are replacement level players. Neither has shown much, if anything, in the NHL (save for maybe a few good games). If they arent performing, they can be left behind

Agreed, very different scenarios. Only Rieder has the proven NHL track record. He'll get more chances for sure.

Reactions: ujju2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's had minor success. Not sure how many chances I'd be willing to give the guy. Can't be sitting here at x-mas still trying to figure out what is going on with him

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Agreed, while I'm not sure that Rieder is a good top 6 option, he is definitely a NHL player. Drake and especially Aberg should be showing more if they want to keep their NHL jobs.

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Normally something you play through in the regular season. Preseason is just extra cautious.
I'd never play through one again. Worse and stupidest injury to deal with that I ever had.

Going from being able to sit on a toilet to taking 10 minutes to get off and on the toilet due to playing through a groin injury is something I don't want to go through again. Along with all the other day to day bs that you don't realize how hard is to do with a bad groin.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I still really don't understand what's going on with McLeod, other than it just being an acknowledgement of hard work and thinking that it will motivate him to take the next year very seriously. There's no spot for him on the team, unless they think he's playing as well as Yamamoto, which I just don't see at all.

If anything the way they're setting rosters this preseason gives the appearance that Strome's spot is up for grabs, as that's the one spot that continues to rotate around (McLeod, now Khaira). But there's no way McLeod is taking Strome's spot and Strome is going to play on the fourth line.

I guess I'm just wondering what we're doing here.

It's possible they have someone interested in Strome+ for a dman.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
The Oilers tried Benning in the top 4 last year and he was nothing short of a disaster. He's fine as a bottom pairing guy in a limited role but if the Oilers are serious in developing this guy they need to stop playing him above his ability.

I actually like the kid but he doesn't belong in a top 4 role, especially not at the moment.

I think they should dress 7 D and only 11 F. We need some guys to get some more minutes where they wont be on a PP or PK (or in games where there are too many PK's or PP's and guys are getting cold.

You have Nurse/Klef/Larsson playing 22 minutes each. Russel right around 18 minutes. You then spread out the remaining time for the other 3. some nights it will be 12-12-12 some will be 10-12-14 etc

Edit: is it bad i want Bouchard to make the team just bc in 3 years thats when russel's contract comes off the books and i don't want them to spend that money stupidly handcuffing them the next year if he went back to junior this year? (Also Larsson comes off that year too)

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I hope not. We need Strome to have a good year. People dreaming about MacLeod replacing him right now are just that. Dreaming. 1 rookie on the team this year please. Not counting Kostenen. Maybe 2 with Bouchard and Yamamoto.

I think we should keep Strome, but I do think Khaira might be ready for the step up to 3C.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think we should keep Strome, but I do think Khaira might be ready for the step up to 3C.
We would have no right shot centerman if we lose strome. Team needs that for faceoffs sometimes. I am of the mindset that it's better to stockpile centers than wingers.

Reactions: ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Depth is a handy thing to have in today's NHL.

Even on his off-side, Russell is a better option there than Benning.

Not many teams have an extra Sekera level player hanging around. He’s a solid #3. We have depth.

I agree with your 2nd point for sure.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
We would have no right shot centerman if we lose strome. Team needs that for faceoffs sometimes. I am of the mindset that it's better to stockpile centers than wingers.

Ales+Hemsky+Kyle+Brodziak+Edmonton+Oilers+KJj2EUGBGGil.jpg

... But after him it does get shallow. Khaira at centre followed by Malone level shallow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->