News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So Rieder could face being the 4th line LW if Kailer does well and Strome is healthy. Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson should be a very good defensive 4th line that can chip in offensively. That is what depth does to a team.

Rieder can play up and down the roster. He is more skilled than many here think but he could be very effective on a 4th line that plays a fair bit and as a pk'er. The problem may be that he is not going to be content long term in that role. That said he is an RFA at the end of this year so he will have to suck it up if that turns out to be his role.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why do all you guys have blow fish for avatar? You lose some kind of bet?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Quick question for you oilers faithful, do you expect RNH to consistently play wing with McDavid this season. Just researching for an office pool.

Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Fugu, one of the global admins, and one of the oldest HFboards members died last week. So lots of people are paying homage with their avatar.

I see. I read about that the other day. Sad to hear of the passing. May he RIP

Reactions: Seedling

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I was against Bouchard playing 9 games because that would be rushing him but after seeing his elite passing skill (ignoring his shot)... we don't have any other D with that ability. Larsson and Klefbom have poor breakout passes... often the puck is turned over in transition due to those two. Nurse? Yeah, no. Benning... tolerable.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Quick question for you oilers faithful, do you expect RNH to consistently play wing with McDavid this season. Just researching for an office pool.

Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Impossible to say for sure, because centre depth issues could rip that line apart if there's an injury, but there is no reason or indication at the moment for them to broken up. They were fantastic together last year, have been utterly dominant in 2 games in preseason.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I hope we see one preseason game with:

Nuge - Mcdavid - Rattie
Yamo - Drai - Puju

As our top 6.

Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Bottom 6. Would be fun to watch.
I would like to try that out for a game for sure. Except maybe put Chiasson in Kassian's place.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm liking the idea of dropping Rieder down to the 4th line, as Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson sounds like a solid defensive unit. Something I don't think you get if you have Caggiula or Aberg there.

While I'd prefer for Yama to start in BAK, he's making that difficult. I'd give Aberg and Caggiula one last chance on Lucic and Draisaitl's right side to show some sort of pulse. Kassian's another internal guy I'd give a look to. The Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian line has been tried in the past and it has visually looked good. This would let you keep Chiasson in the lineup, which helps the 4th line in its role. Perhaps you could look at the trade market to see who fits. (A J.Hansen type would be perfect there)

Also thank god Rattie's shown well so far on the top line.

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yama/Kassian/Aberg
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson

That actually looks pretty solid. I feel a bit bad for Drai if Yama's not there, but at least his line would still have some identify. Plus I do like how lines 1 through 4 are all solid defensively.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think JP has earned a spot on the 2nd line so far in the preseason, Yamamoto has earned a spot in the line up and Bouchard has earned 9 games. We also need to change up the PP, it still looks like last year.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP
Reider-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-benning
Russel-Bouchard

PP unit 1
Rattie-Lucic-Mcdavid
Bouchard-Draisaitl

PP unit 2
Yamamoto-Strome-RNH
JP-Klefbom

Both units have a left/right balance with players in spots to succeed. The power play is a tool used t win hockey games not for rewarding players for how many years they played or how hard they skate in practice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
:laugh: older folks might have to get over themselves.

I think that Caggiula and Aberg are really looking to loose roster spots right now.
Still think Caggiula is here. Maybe not in the top 12, but they gave him a two year deal. Just seems like they like him.

Aberg I agree. You had him last year and he pissed off the coaches and teammates. He needed to impress to get a spot

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It is great thing if we need to drop someone good down to AHL or juniors. We have wanted to be in this position for years. It hurts but it is good for the team.

Reactions: PulYou

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So I guess when McLellan had his big RW pep talk earlier in camp it was Puljujarvi, Rattie, Yamamoto and Aberg he had talked to.

Oilers right-wingers changing narrative in pre-season - Sportsnet.ca

Sound advice for a 25-year-old who is making the most of a lifetime opportunity, a silver platter laid down by head coach Todd McLellan before training camp began. It was then that McLellan chaired a meeting that included four invitees: Rattie, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Pontus Aberg.
“He showed us the depth chart,” Rattie described, “and said, ‘There are openings here. It’s going to be a battle, but the ball is in your court. Whoever wants it, go out and get it.’

three-spots-open-on-the-party-so-were-gonna-have-tryouts.jpg

I'm guessing Aberg didn't get a pool cue.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Aberg to Bako is good for org depth. He may prefer to go back to Europe though. So be it. Benson, Marody, Malone are fine depth call ups anyway. Would like them to sign Chiasson to a one way min and Garrison to a two way with decent AHL $ Run 14 fwd and 7 D to begin the year.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I wonder if Aberg could get something like 5th round pick from someone. It looks pretty clear he is the odd man out now.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah aberg and cagguila look like they could both be cut. Maybe cagguila's cap hit will come in handy and help him clear waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad