News Article: Training camp ongoing. Camp discussion part 2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:laugh: come on now.
Last season Trevor Van Riemsdyk averaged 17:30 a night with zero PP time on the bottom pairing. Soft minutes. Justin Faulk averaged over 3:00 a night on the PP alone. Another minute on the PK. Neither of those are likely to change.

The Canes will use Faulk, an offensive defenseman in a soft minutes, PP heavy role--because they should.

Put yourself in the shoes of the Hurricanes GM. Why would you give up that option for more depth wingers when their organizational weakness is at center? It doesn't add up.

They'll probably deal Van Riemsdyk for a guy like Zack Smith and boom, their defense is set.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Isn't that how Washington runs it with Backstrom (left shot) and Carlson (right shot)? What's more important is that the one-timer option opposite McDavid in the other half-wall be a right shot (e.g., Ovechkin).
No the Caps run something like this:

.....................Kuzy(L).............................

.....................Oshie(R)............................

Ovie(R)...............................Backstrom(L)

....................Carlson(R).........................

Backstrom and Kuzy cycle the puck down low on the right side, and wait until a seam opens up to feed one of Ovie, Oshie or Carlson for a one timer. The Oil are running with McDavid in the spot that Ovie is in there, with four other lefties on the ice for one timers. If you put Bouchard up top he isn't an option for a one timer from a McDavid.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Backstrom and Kuzy cycle the puck down low on the right side, and wait until a seam opens up to feed one of Ovie, Oshie or Carlson for a one timer. The Oil are running with McDavid in the spot that Ovie is in there, with four other lefties on the ice for one timers. If you put Bouchard up top he isn't an option for a one timer from a McDavid.

Fair enough, I always wonder when somebody says left half-boards, which side they are referring to. Is it from the attacking or defending perspective?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I thought Marody had a good camp and was surprised he was sent down so quickly. He certainly had a better camp than Aberg.

I think he must have been penciled in as a AHL guy and while he had a good camp he was not great. I know I was expecting at least a bit more from him.

He will be our #1 center in the AHL this year? Anyone have any thoughts on Marody this year? He is still relatively young and there really is no rush for him to jump into the lineup but do people see him as a potential NHL player for us eventually?

I thought Marody looked really good in the game I went to against Winnipeg. He’s a smart player. I’ve got him pegged as the top center in the AHL and likely playing a few games with the big club depending on injuries

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I thought Marody looked really good in the game I went to against Winnipeg. He’s a smart player. I’ve got him pegged as the top center in the AHL and likely playing a few games with the big club depending on injuries
He's been more than what I expected so far. We have a good asset here.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

But Connor hasn’t been on the left half wall

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
A bit of an odd decision to risk Montoya on waivers at this stage, I thought he would've been a certainty to be the #3 goalie for the Eurotrip, Koskinen's still a bit of a work in progress as things stand right now. And in a vacuum, Montoya's definitely a superior goalie to Starrett as of today.

Reactions: PulYou

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Carolina does that deal 11 times out of 10.

I don't think Faulk is worth half that.

Benning is still young for a nhl defender and is a RFA. Caguillia, as much as I don't like him, is also a young cost controlled asset. Isn't Faulk a UFA soon? 2 years of Faulk, a one dimensional/poor defensive top 4 defender, for not one but two guys that hypothetically could be decent bargain guys for the next 10 years...

A second round pick can easily end up a McLeod level prospect in a draft. A third to me has far less value.

I honestly think Carolina would jump at a any 2 pieces of that combo...

But I obviously don't like Faulk that much and don't see him being a good fit in Edmonton long term. For a year with Sekera out and Bouchard and Bear still developing, sure. But after that what do you do even next year?

You give up depth, contract status, good picks, all for a guy who ultimately could make your team worse because of his lack of defensive ability? And then just try to flip him again if all goes well?

Carolina isn't having trouble moving him because they are asking for the moon. They are having trouble moving him because he is a complimentary piece at best with significant holes in his game.

i agree with you thats a severe overpay. I get people hate benning and caggula but they are real players, with 1-2 seasons of experience. both will be good players in this league. throwing in picks is not needed

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Hope he doesn't get claimed. Gonna need him when Koskinen inevitably ****s the bed.
well seeing as he has been incrementally better each and every game i dont think there is really anything to worry about.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Montoya will get claimed. The Jets have Brossoit.

Montoya used to be the Jets backup and they liked him so I wouldn’t be surprised.

What if Calgary claims him rather than relying on Rittich or Gillies?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Montoya used to be the Jets backup and they liked him so I wouldn’t be surprised.

What if Calgary claims him rather than relying on Rittich or Gillies?

I can see Calgary throwing in a claim. Rittich has been God-awful for the Flames with a 4.18 GAA and .872 save %. They might go with Gillies though as well. I guess we'll find out tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->