GDT: Training Camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is just straight up wrong. The Kings number one need was center.

If the goal is to win now, the Kings probably made the best possible move available. They knew it would cause a tight cap situation, but still makes sense given the goal.
The Kings had a good No 1 and No 2 already. Last season, Kopitar was 22nd in center scoring and Danault was 58th.

Copley was 27th in GAA and 52nd in SV%. And he was the better goalie on the Kings. Quick was 78th in GAA and 92nd in SV%. So, purely objectively, goaltending was the number 1 need.

The subjective number 1 need is the infusion of younger, cost-controlled and homegrown talent. That wasn't an option when the Kings invested almost 30% of their cap on three centers while expecting to have a veteran-laden roster.

Dubois is a talented player who didn't fulfill an immediate need while also inadverently hurting long-term organizational needs. I like him more than I did at the time of the trade, and he's showing quick chemistry with Fiala, but the Kings weren't a PLD away from beating Edmonton.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

If the goal is to win now, the Kings probably made the best possible move available. They knew it would cause a tight cap situation, but still makes sense given the goal.
Yeah, couldn't disagree with you more.

This team is STILL closer to missing the playoffs than contending. The correct move was prioritizing the development of cost-controlled production and creating a new leadership infrastructure.

Fiala and Dubois are just like I said - plastic surgery on a menopausal lady and pretending she's hot again.

Literally nothing will change until they shift from maintaining a broken franchise model into the growth of a new one dictated by the strengths, weaknesses and attitude of a new generation of Kings that isn't constantly patting itself on the back and collecting mega checks for something that happened a decade ago.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

How can you say such things so confidently? kings could try byfield at center? Who could the Kings try in goal? The Kings number 1 need was goaltending and you can argue pretty easily another LD and center being one or the other. Considering the fact the Kings had a plus 1 goal differential at the end of the regular season, you’re going to say they were needing more offense? You’re just straight up wrong. Come on.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I will say the next call-up when needed better be TJ Tynan to prove your point further.
What? i didn't have a point -- YOU did. I responded to YOUR point about TM playing rookies and using Laf as an example.
My response (point) was simply that Laf is only (supposedly) going to play because AK is out and Arvi is doubtful. If those bizarre situations didn't happen, he would be in Ontario -- just like he will be in about a week or two.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Kings have Kopi & PD as centers....with Byfield, Vilardi, Kupari and Turc all options for 3C. Lizotte firmly planted as 4C.

How can anyone see that center roster depth and think center is the biggest offseason Kings need going into 2023 season -- when we have what we have at Goalie. Not to mention the long-term need for power/size/toughness up & down the roster.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What? i didn't have a point -- YOU did. I responded to YOUR point about TM playing rookies and using Laf as an example.
My response (point) was simply that Laf is only (supposedly) going to play because AK is out and Arvi is doubtful. If those bizarre situations didn't happen, he would be in Ontario -- just like he will be in about a week or two.
No...your point was that the ONLY reason Laff is playing is because others can't. Well, the Kings could have used other players from ONT, why are they picking him?

Nothing is ever good enough for you guys.....ever.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't understand this discussion tactic of ignoring a general point, making a claim, getting it rebuffed in a thoughtful response you gave, then make an even more absurd claim to ignore your points.

I eventually just started ignoring those people as it just leads to defending things I didn't say.

McLellan doesn't "hate" the kids. But he leans on vets way more to the team's success at the detriment of prospects. Basically prospects have to hope for an injury to have a reasonable expectation to play. Outplaying veterans simply doesn't guarantee a spot.

And this isn't all on McLellan's feet. Blake would rather send Spence down and not have waivers be an issue instead of waiving Englund (who has passed through waivers multiple times in the past) and putting all defensemen in their natural sides. He also has a bigger cap hit, and having him off the roster would have taken a bigger bite out of their cap issues.

Reactions: Schrute farms

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kings have Kopi & PD as centers....with Byfield, Vilardi, Kupari and Turc all options for 3C. Lizotte firmly planted as 4C.

How can anyone see that center roster depth and think center is the biggest offseason Kings need going into 2023 season -- when we have what we have at Goalie. Not to mention the long-term need for power/size/toughness up & down the roster.

IF you think that your team is a contender, its perfectly reasonable to make a bold move.

But what baffles me is how anybody could think that the Kings are at that level. They couldn't kill penalties, were grossly outmatched along the boards and in the creases, had highly questionable goaltending, the "best" players are clearly past their prime, have had an extremely difficult time getting young forwards to produce and were already in a difficult spot with the cap.

How in the world is Dubois a solution to any of that?

He is a fine player, and I would have been very happy to have added him at a price that didn't include your only cost-controlled producer and the exact type of winger the team needed.

Its just a baffling amount of hubris to think that this team is poised for anything other than another early exit, except now with just about zero maneuverability to fix the obvious problems OR the new ones that always develop over the course of a season.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
IF you think that your team is a contender, its perfectly reasonable to make a bold move.

But what baffles me is how anybody could think that the Kings are at that level. They couldn't kill penalties, were grossly outmatched along the boards and in the creases, had highly questionable goaltending, the "best" players are clearly past their prime, have had an extremely difficult time getting young forwards to produce and were already in a difficult spot with the cap.

How in the world is Dubois a solution to any of that?

He is a fine player, and I would have been very happy to have added him at a price that didn't include your only cost-controlled producer and the exact type of winger the team needed.

Its just a baffling amount of hubris to think that this team is poised for anything other than another early exit, except now with just about zero maneuverability to fix the obvious problems OR the new ones that always develop over the course of a season.

Umm...Vilardi was no longer cost controlled....can we try again, this time with a foot in reality?

I think expecting more from the team is being a better fan than those who are blindly ignorant to the flaws of the team. Maybe take a look in the mirror for supporting stagnation.

Show me a team without a flaw....PLEASE.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, a botched rebuild, shit defense, failing prospects, and the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL. I wonder why people aren’t happy..

It’s almost like the Kings are their own worst enemy. But no worries, we have the blindly optimistic fans who couldn’t see a neon sign in a pitch black forest.
Many of us have been fans for over a few decades now and seen the worst and seen the best from this organization. This team isn't even close to being the worst or mediocre. I think this is a very talented team with the weaknesses being in the goal, but like Vegas it can work without Quick talent in goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think expecting more from the team is being a better fan than those who are blindly ignorant to the flaws of the team. Maybe take a look in the mirror for supporting stagnation.
LOL...is this some type of contest? Who's a 'better fan' and what defines that? That's awesome, that's gotta be some of your best work right there.

I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I follow this team and sport out of enjoyment....and man does it feel good when they are winning. Maybe you and the boyz get enjoyment out of misery and complaining non-stop....I mean I guess it's possible. Very strange, but what do I know.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Many of us have been fans for a few decades now and seen the worst and seen the best from this organization. This team isn't even close to being the worst or mediocre. I think this is a very talented team with the weaknesses being in the goal, but like Vegas it can work without Quick talent in goal.
It’s not a matter of being the best or worst, it’s about the trajectory they’re setting. You are going to come crashing down to earth when the team can’t create and foster high end talent through the rebuild. This team is built through trade.

I know this team isn’t the worst but one thing no one can deny is the future of this team is bleak. That’s what’s upsetting. Wallow away and peak at just being a first round knock out team? Because that’s the bar the Kings have been at. The Kings got smacked by the oilers last year. What makes you think the Kings are going any further than that? I’m upset with the team because this teams ceiling is very low with the way it’s built. So yeah it’s a decent team right now but that’s all it will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad