GDT: Training Camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
They have to put Englund in ahead of TB - there is not one player besides two guys making over 13 million combined (Kempe and PLD) that can fight.

The D is soft as crap - though Gavrikov is tall, he's not strong or overly physical. Roy is really the only bully on D and he has 4 career fights, 3 of them in the AHL and one in college/USHL.

I sat glass to two playoff games in Vegas - one against Edmonton and one against Florida and the Kings couldn't hang physically with either of those teams from what I saw. Lomberg, Bennett, Tkachuk, Gudas vs Hague, Carrier, McNabb, Kolesar.

Kings don't have one player as tough as any mentioned besides Englund and Doty, who doesn't even have an NHL contract.

You can argue PLD is our new Tkachuk - but Matthew had Lomberg, Gudas, Bennett to back him up and even Giavani Smith in the regular season. Who does PL have?

ALex Turcotte?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can scarcely remember Kaliyev getting more than one period, never mind one game, with the same upper-lineup linemates. I don't think 'bad chemistry' is a fair critique.

Reactions: tigermask48

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Kaliyev needs to be prepared to take Ardvissons spot when he gets moved. Turcotte would be a great fit for PLD/Fiala
Bold of you to assume management will move on from a middle six reliable vet in favor of an under-25 with upside. It's more likely Kaliyev is the one that gets moved a-la Vilardi so they don't have to give him a raise after Arvidsson is given a 5x5 extension.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I can scarcely remember Kaliyev getting more than one period, never mind one game, with the same upper-lineup linemates. I don't think 'bad chemistry' is a fair critique.

Lets be honest though. Fiala and Dubois aren't exactly defensive stalwarts themselves, but we all know which guy on that line will be taking the demotion when they each have 3 point nights with a -4 on their stat sheets.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
On another note, Clarke is skating with the team.

So either he really was just banged up or he'll be a healthy scratch the first time he can lace them up for a preseason game.

Reactions: ibleedkings

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Personally, I think he's about to explode......

He only recently turned 22 and he's already played 137 NHL games. Yes, there's been some frustrating times - But he now has an excellent opportunity.

He's put in his time on the 4th line. He's dealt with the healthy scratches after making some defensive mistakes. And he's also dealt with injury - I mean let's be honest.. He probably hits 40 points as a 4th liner last year if he doesn't break his foot and miss time.

He was on pace for 41 points last year and that was while being under-utilized and poorly deployed - averaging less than 12 mins of ice time per game. That's actually pretty insane/impressive.

And now he should finally get that opportunity we've all been hoping for with significantly better linemates and more minutes..... This could be an absolutely incredible year for him.

Sure, there's some defensive concerns - Especially if he does end up playing with Fiala and Dubois. But as others have pointed out, this team also has Danault and Kopitar - Which means the Dubois line really should typically get fairly easy matchups.

I also like the idea of swapping Arty and Arvidsson if Arty's defense really is a problem - I think Moore and Danault could also be great linemates for Kaliyev as their both strong 200ft players. Those two guys can do the dirty work and Kaliyev can be the one to capitalize on it.

This is a guy who could legitimately put up 60+ points IMO. All he does is score.

Reactions: psych3man

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Personally, I think he's about to explode......

He only recently turned 22 and he's already played 137 NHL games. Yes, there's been some frustrating times - But he now has an excellent opportunity.

He's put in his time on the 4th line. He's dealt with the healthy scratches after making some defensive mistakes. And he's also dealt with injury - I mean let's be honest.. He probably hits 40 points as a 4th liner last year if he doesn't break his foot and miss time.

He was on pace for 41 points last year and that was while being under-utilized and poorly deployed - averaging less than 12 mins of ice time per game. That's actually pretty insane/impressive.

And now he should finally get that opportunity we've all been hoping for with significantly better linemates and more minutes..... This could be an absolutely incredible year for him.

Sure, there's some defensive concerns - Especially if he does end up playing with Fiala and Dubois. But as others have pointed out, this team also has Danault and Kopitar - Which means the Dubois line really should typically get fairly easy matchups.

I also like the idea of swapping Arty and Arvidsson if Arty's defense really is a problem - I think Moore and Danault could also be great linemates for Kaliyev as their both strong 200ft players. Those two guys can do the dirty work and Kaliyev can be the one to capitalize on it.

This is a guy who could legitimately put up 60+ points IMO. All he does is score.

It will be the opposite, nobody matches up with Kopitar since he is going to be up against all the oppositions best. Coaches will have to decide whether they want their best defensive units against Dubois or Danault, and that should be a very easy choice. I expect Danault's line to have the team's easiest matchups all year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

He was playing mostly third-line in early December of last year. He had that great November, and then he moved up and started getting more time, even taking shifts with the top line for a few games. He had a streak where he had over 14 minutes in 6 of 7 games, even hitting 17 minutes in one. The result was one point (assist) in those 7 games. If you are going to be getting good time like that and you are a scorer you have to do something of substance.

Around Christmas his ice time got reduced and bam - 2 points in 3 games. It's almost uncanny, his production had an inverse relationship with his ice time for most of last season. So if it isn't chemistry, maybe it's conditioning? Or maybe he's like Forbort and only plays really well with certain linemates.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Personally, I do think it’s going to be interesting to see the (lack-of) difference in deployment based off home & away games.

I’m sure that Todd will bungle that last change opportunity, right into the hands of opposing coaches, out of sheer belligerence.

All it takes is trusting the Danault line against the opponents best, and it throws all the other matchups into LA’s favor, but the goon simply will not f***ing do it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
besides the moronic autism speculation, I have not been paying attention to anything Kings related this offseason. Has there been any comments in regards to Byfields size? Or is he still looking the same?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If Kings think Turcotte can make the team - then Lizotte is trade fodder. There is no where else he can slot in this season.

Turc doesn't play like Grundstrom (and it makes the Kings even softer if they take Grundstrom out) and it sounds like Lewis is going to have a key role with the team so the only position is center, which Lizotte has.

Only way Turcotte makes the team is if the entire 4th line is torn apart and they add an enforcer type like Doty to the RW. They could then have Turcotte-Lizotte-Doty.

Reactions: Mcsorley47

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If Kings think Turcotte can make the team - then Lizotte is trade fodder. There is no where else he can slot in this season.

Turc doesn't play like Grundstrom (and it makes the Kings even softer if they take Grundstrom out) and it sounds like Lewis is going to have a key role with the team so the only position is center, which Lizotte has.

Only way Turcotte makes the team is if the entire 4th line is torn apart and they add an enforcer type like Doty to the RW. They could then have Turcotte-Lizotte-Doty.
It's really just too bad Blake Lizotte isn't 6'4.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Let's get the season started already. Goodness the offseason is looooong. Cannot wait for another up and down first round exit season baby!!! Let's do this. All kidding aside, do we even make the playoffs? This goaltending tandem yike.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Let's get the season started already. Goodness the offseason is looooong. Cannot wait for another up and down first round exit season baby!!! Let's do this. All kidding aside, do we even make the playoffs? This goaltending tandem yike.
40 year old Cam Talbot >>> Jonathan Quick / Cal Petersen

The Alaskan guy is just fine too. I think our forward group and back end will carry big time this season.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
besides the moronic autism speculation, I have not been paying attention to anything Kings related this offseason. Has there been any comments in regards to Byfields size? Or is he still looking the same?
Last I read he was around 230-ish and a legit 6’5..

• Wow
Reactions: lumbergh

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wouldn’t hate Kaliyev on the fourth line and power play again this year.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Turcotte - PLD - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Lewis - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Roy

I’d love to see this lineup.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

Turcotte - PLD - Fiala

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Roy

The PLD line needs a shooter even if it isn't Kaliyev.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Bold of you to assume management will move on from a middle six reliable vet in favor of an under-25 with upside. It's more likely Kaliyev is the one that gets moved a-la Vilardi so they don't have to give him a raise after Arvidsson is given a 5x5 extension.

Don't worry about management having traded their own middle six reliable vet boy in Iafallo, in the trade for a guy that's one whole year older than Vilardi, and are now giving a recently turned 22 year old a chance to play with the two big offensive acquisitions from the last two years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't worry about management having traded their own middle six reliable vet boy in Iafallo, in the trade for a guy that's one whole year older than Vilardi, and are now giving a recently turned 22 year old a chance to play with the two big offensive acquisitions from the last two years.

2022 offseason: "We need Kaliyev in our top six"

I'll believe it when the season starts that way. Until then, they've shown us who they are.

I'll bet you a beer we see Fiala-PLD-Lewis/Lizotte/vet over Kaliyev.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Our esteemed bench boss HATES kaliyev. He objectively screwed him at every oppurtunity to the point last season where i thought arty would be better off traded. At least somewhere else he would get a fair shot.
I continue to hope for the best but with that runt behind the bench i aint getting my hopes up.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Our esteemed bench boss HATES kaliyev. He objectively screwed him at every oppurtunity to the point last season where i thought arty would be better off traded. At least somewhere else he would get a fair shot.
I continue to hope for the best but with that runt behind the bench i aint getting my hopes up.
Arty had a bit of a sophomore slump last season. It happens often to second year players coming off of a solid rookie year when expectations grow. On top of that he does have limited tools outside of shooting.
His injury and usage didnt do him any favors. He was gripping his stick a little too tight and was a bit in his own head. Plus his line with Lemieux had chemistry and it was dismantled.
I am expecting a big season from him this year and am excited to see that line with him Fiala and PLD.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Turcotte - PLD - Fiala

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Roy

Kaliyev just does not have a 4th line game, it only hurts his development to try and force it, in addition to causing the effectiveness of the 4th line to wane.

Square peg. Round hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad