GDT: Training Camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Kaliyev needs to be prepared to take Ardvissons spot when he gets moved. Turcotte would be a great fit for PLD/Fiala
This is a make or break year for Arty Party. He's already penciled in to play with PLD and Fiala. If he blows chunks another prospect is gonna take the spot and bye bye Arty

Reactions: Gjwrams

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
This is a make or break year for Arty Party. He's already penciled in to play with PLD and Fiala. If he blows chunks another prospect is gonna take the spot and bye bye Arty
Agree completely. Anyone on a line with Fiala and PLD should be able to absolutely feast. Think about all the attention those 2 will get alone. That line will be ripe for someone to run with. I like the idea of keeping Moore/Danault/Arvidsson together because it's proven, but Arvy should see a lot of PP time also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Really pulling for Kaliyev, hoping he gets more games in.
I have my concerns with Kaliyev. Dude has all the skills in the world, but just seems to be goofy in terms of how he thinks the game, especially 5v5. I love having him on the PP with that shot of his. Just set him up in the slot and let him go to work.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean it's kind of perfect really

Fiala NEEDS to puckhog, so he doesn't work great with a possession guy like Kopitar. But Danault works well with everyone.

PLD isn't your 'typical' C, he's pretty average at lugging the puck but good enough that opponents can't just crash Fiala, but having PLD and Fiala means the puck gets thru the neutral zone and into the Ozone where PLD is big and a load on the boards in front of the net and Fiala can make plays.

Frankly Kaliyev could do f***all and just reappear within 15 feet of the net to feast since Danault and kopitar lines are gonna eat harder matchups, if Kaliyev can't be successful in 'softer' minutes with elite offensive talents, it'll be bad.

I do think he still has years of growth ahead of him but it at least APPEARS like they're trying to help him succeed for once instead of burying him and wondering why he's not doing more while playing fewer minutes than it takes him to get his gear on.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I mean it's kind of perfect really

Fiala NEEDS to puckhog, so he doesn't work great with a possession guy like Kopitar. But Danault works well with everyone.

PLD isn't your 'typical' C, he's pretty average at lugging the puck but good enough that opponents can't just crash Fiala, but having PLD and Fiala means the puck gets thru the neutral zone and into the Ozone where PLD is big and a load on the boards in front of the net and Fiala can make plays.

Frankly Kaliyev could do f***all and just reappear within 15 feet of the net to feast since Danault and kopitar lines are gonna eat harder matchups, if Kaliyev can't be successful in 'softer' minutes with elite offensive talents, it'll be bad.

I do think he still has years of growth ahead of him but it at least APPEARS like they're trying to help him succeed for once instead of burying him and wondering why he's not doing more while playing fewer minutes than it takes him to get his gear on.
Kaliyev is definitely top-3 on this team in terms of shot capabilities. I'd have Kempe and Fiala ahead of him, but I think if he gets a huge amount of confidence and they let him run with it - could be a very nice combination.

If Turcotte can stay healthy, I'd really like to see what he could do on that line.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Kaliyevs biggest obstacle this year is Tmac. Tmac has done more than anything or anyone else to f*** up Kaliyevs trajectory. This year for Kaliyev is dependent on whether or not Todd is going to be a cancer again.
Todd is the reason that Kaliyev hasn't received more playing time? Try Kaliyev is the reason he hasn't gotten more playing time. It's up to him how far he wants to go this year. He's just too inconsistent in his effort and has been more effective in specialty situations like the PP.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Todd is the reason that Kaliyev hasn't received more playing time? Try Kaliyev is the reason he hasn't gotten more playing time. It's up to him how far he wants to go this year. He's just too inconsistent in his effort and has been more effective in specialty situations like the PP.
What are you even talking about ? You mean the times where Kaliyev, our best sniper, who was scoring goals on the PP, would see less and less PP time? Or when you had Kaliyev losing his spot to MacEwen? There’s many people who saw Kaliyev get shafted so hard for mistakes. You had players like Durzi and Edler who got such enormous leashes, while players like Kaliyev got none. There is some serious bad faith interpretation of Kaliyevs season if you think that Kaliyevs issues were strictly Kaliyevs fault. I remember many instances where he’d be doing well and he’d start to get benched or even get scratched. How easy is it to build momentum when your good moments hold no weight. How could someone like Byfield get away with playing that bad, and not be benched once. While someone like Kaliyev was getting burnt on every mistake.

IMG_6499.jpeg
IMG_6500.jpeg

Look at this. Byfield has gotten far more preferential treatment and has done much less. And Kaliyev has been what on the bottom 6 and getting barely any PP time.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Ive been a huge supporter of arty almost from day 1. The interest the org appears to be showing in his development means alot to my fandom because i have never been convinced the kings realize what they have in this guy- a pure goal scorer. Im gaining a renewed interest in the kings which has been seriously depleted since the hermosa surf club began thier reign.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree he can be better

But it's hard to be better when a missed stickcheck means you get Jordan Weal'ed

This org sucks at giving kids leash and confidence

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree he can be better

But it's hard to be better when a missed stickcheck means you get Jordan Weal'ed

This org sucks at giving kids leash and confidence
I know we don’t disagree but my point is how can you expect a player to get better when you crush them at every opportunity. At what point does that build confidence vs adding fear into your game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Love seeing the battle

hockey's back baby

Hope Portillo learns a lot this year.

People always hold it against a goalie like Bernier, Wolf, Saros when they get picked top corner because of their 'size,' but almost nothing in hockey makes me madder than a goaltender with NFL tight end size getting repeatedly 5-, 6-, and 7-holed, that's a far worse trait imo. Tighten it up, big boy.

I know we don’t disagree but my point is how can you expect a player to get better when you crush them at every opportunity. At what point does that build confidence vs adding fear into your game.

No I 100% agree with you. I'm just saying he's not flawless--but he can't be expected to just magically 'be better' without opportunity either. It's the whole chicken and egg development bullshit we always bemoan.

I took a shit in a dryer at a frat house because those tools were so lame. Put it on high heat and let it run a 90 minute cycle.

Once at a tourney we jammed all our bags into the coaches' hotel room and cranked up the heater

Got bagged, but was so worth it

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
What are you even talking about ? You mean the times where Kaliyev, our best sniper, who was scoring goals on the PP, would see less and less PP time? Or when you had Kaliyev losing his spot to MacEwen? There’s many people who saw Kaliyev get shafted so hard for mistakes. You had players like Durzi and Edler who got such enormous leashes, while players like Kaliyev got none. There is some serious bad faith interpretation of Kaliyevs season if you think that Kaliyevs issues were strictly Kaliyevs fault. I remember many instances where he’d be doing well and he’d start to get benched or even get scratched. How easy is it to build momentum when your good moments hold no weight. How could someone like Byfield get away with playing that bad, and not be benched once. While someone like Kaliyev was getting burnt on every mistake.

View attachment 744927View attachment 744928

Look at this. Byfield has gotten far more preferential treatment and has done much less. And Kaliyev has been what on the bottom 6 and getting barely any PP time.
Are you telling me that Kaliyev would have made the line of Kempe and Kopitar better than Byfield did? Byfield is going to be a better player than Kaliyev. There's a reason so many teams passed on Kaliyev at the draft. For him to be better than just a specialty player, he's going to need to learn to play at a high level more consistently. I have no issues sticking him on every PP, but beyond that there have been better options. This isn't a Todd thing.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

A big part of this is Arty has always performed better on the 4th line than whenever he was moved up. He's looked completely out of place on the top lines. It's a catch-22, because if you keep him there and he continues to struggle, his confidence is going to take a hit and he's going to start gripping his stick, which will lead to even worse play. It might be the perception around here that coaches are hard on him, but we don't see the day to day, their conversations, and what they have him working on. We just see what we see on the outside of it all.

So far he's been kept on the line he experiences the most success at. It's night and day when he's with Lizotte, his numbers skyrocket. The knock on Arty has always been his IQ. He has difficulty applying what he's learned about responsibility and checking to a scoring line deployment. I have no doubts he can get there, but it's not as seamless for him as it is for a guy like Iafallo, who can change roles without missing a beat.

I see why there was hesitancy to put him on a scoring line for 30 games in a row last year, but this year the team is loaded with offense. I don't see the same ceiling for him that some do around here, but he should be good for 45 points on that line minimum. If he doesn't do it this year, he probably never will. And if he ends up a 4th liner who can hit 35 points with 10 pp goals a year, that's fine too,

Reactions: Lt Dan and bmr

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A big part of this is Arty has always performed better on the 4th line than whenever he was moved up. He's looked completely out of place on the top lines. It's a catch-22, because if you keep him there and he continues to struggle, his confidence is going to take a hit and he's going to start gripping his stick, which will lead to even worse play. It might be the perception around here that coaches are hard on him, but we don't see the day to day, their conversations, and what they have him working on. We just see what we see on the outside of it all.
If I spent most of my time on one line versus 2-3 games playing with others, I'd feel and play more comfortably on the 4th line.

He didn't look great on the 4th line when he first played on there, either.

Kaliyev, to me, seems to be a person/player who's a bit in his own shell, which may be to his detriment professionally. But he hasn't had the time to get comfortable with his linemates like he has on the 4th line.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Camp is open, might as well start a new thread to bitch about it.

Also, if anyone has made the trip post your stories here!

I'll start - stupid TM going with the same old lines.

Really?

What would your lines be?

I think 1,2,3 are dead on and the Supah Marsupial has not committed to 4 or d pairs.

I like

Grund - Lizoo - Lewie

Same top 2 pairs.

Englund - Spence.

Waivers will be interesting, any validation will come with a loss.

No loss= no external validation.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If I spent most of my time on one line versus 2-3 games playing with others, I'd feel and play more comfortably on the 4th line.

He didn't look great on the 4th line when he first played on there, either.

Kaliyev, to me, seems to be a person/player who's a bit in his own shell, which may be to his detriment professionally. But he hasn't had the time to get comfortable with his linemates like he has on the 4th line.

I see the same thing with him. I get that the small sample of times he's been playing with more offensive types makes it difficult to get any synergy going, but it seems to take him an exceptionally long time to build that kind of thing. I've noticed the inability to really get chemistry going with others unless its a longer time frame since he came up. He's the opposite of a swiss army knife. I wanted the Kings to pick him, but I was kind of surprised they did because he's the opposite of what they look for in many ways. Adaptability has always been a trademark of our picks, to both our advantage and our detriment.

A shell is a good analogy, his mind seems to be in it's own area. Even if you don't play with someone, after being on a team for a few years you should know their tendencies and style and know how to adjust by the end of a game or after a few days. That just seems to be lacking with him.

Reactions: King'sPawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad