Training camp 2023-2024

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Goon squad of invitees.

Given the amount of dirty cheap shots thrown by Habs prospects every year in this tournament, might not be a bad idea, but it is a continuation of the trend we've seen at the draft table of toughness being prioritized over everything else.
Many of them aren't even that. Guys like Bronson Ride, Roberto Mancini, Tyler Thorpe, and Mikael Huchette aren't really anything other than big.

Then you have guys like Tarun Fizer and Mitch Walinski where it's hard to see any possible upside. These guys wouldn't even make the grade as AHL depth options. Just pure filler to pad out the roster I guess.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They had to do some deep diving for some of these invites. Mitch Walinski is nearly 25 years old and he played Division III NCAA last season - that is wild. Quite the prospect I'm sure.
They are bringing 29 players. He is a weird add but you are being extra negative for absolutely no good reason. Its a rookie camp take a deep breath. Its weird that you care this much tbh.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Many of them aren't even that. Guys like Bronson Ride, Roberto Mancini, Tyler Thorpe, and Mikael Huchette aren't really anything other than big.

Then you have guys like Tarun Fizer and Mitch Walinski where it's hard to see any possible upside. These guys wouldn't even make the grade as AHL depth options. Just pure filler to pad out the roster I guess.

Ride, Mancini and Thorpe all have around as many PIMs as games played (or more). Same goes for Toure, Clattenburg, Martin, Stewart and Carlisle.

It's not a perfect gauge for toughness/physicality but it's about as good as it gets.

High PIM totals has actually been one of the most reliable predictors of Sens draft picks in recent years.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Goon squad of invitees.

Given the amount of dirty cheap shots thrown by Habs prospects every year in this tournament, might not be a bad idea, but it is a continuation of the trend we've seen at the draft table of toughness being prioritized over everything else.

I have issues with their approach at the draft table, but we're talking about rookie tournament invites here. If one of these invitees becomes a 4th line NHLer one day, that would be a home run.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

How often do rookie camp invites amount to anything anyways? I mean, maybe if you're lucky you find an AHL'r or a 4th liner?

Idk, I figure where just getting enough bodies to run the camp, particularly given some of our prospects aren't available.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Goon squad of invitees.

It's hilarious now that goons are obsolete in the NHL, the Toilet Seat Boys are making goonery a priority.

I wish their D was 6 Xjekraj's so we could skate circles around them and score tons of goals like when X is on the ice, case in point last season, where we dominated him, and he was the NHL's worst defenseman by advanced stats. But you never know, if he develops his defense, he could develop into a Matt Carkner level player.

Wanting the big strong power forward led them to pick Slafkovsky over Cooley, Nemec, and Jiricek, far more talented players. That's going to cost them for a long time. I wonder if ownership put pressure on them to take the big strong winger after they blew it by passing on Brady Tkachuk? Slaf ain't no Brady. He isn't terrible at least, he does have upside to be a decent 2nd liner. But poor value considering who they passed on. Even Cutter Gauthier will be better.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I was thinking of maybe going to the Montreal's game but I'll save myself from the embarrassment

How often do rookie camp invites amount to anything anyways? I mean, maybe if you're lucky you find an AHL'r or a 4th liner?

Idk, I figure where just getting enough bodies to run the camp, particularly given some of our prospects aren't available.

Wasn't Aspirot a camp invite at first? But yeah that's the kind of "success" you can find. And Parker Kelly? Was he signed directly or he went to camp first?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking of maybe going to the Montreal's game but I'll save myself from the embarrassment

Wasn't Aspirot a camp invite at first? But yeah that's the kind of "success" you can find. And Parker Kelly? Was he signed directly or he went to camp first?
I think Kelly was a camp invite, and he seems like what an invite success story looks like to me, but in most cases I suspect your invites are more about having the bodies there Tobe able to run the drills.

I think this year there are only 3 guys from the last two drafts, to me, that explains why we have a bunch of invites. If our most recent drafts have a bunch of guys that can't make it either because it messes up their NCAA eligibility, they are committed in Europe or they are injured, then you got to find the bodies somewhere.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's hilarious now that goons are obsolete in the NHL, the Toilet Seat Boys are making goonery a priority.

I wish their D was 6 Xjekraj's so we could skate circles around them and score tons of goals like when X is on the ice, case in point last season, where we dominated him, and he was the NHL's worst defenseman by advanced stats. But you never know, if he develops his defense, he could develop into a Matt Carkner level player.

Wanting the big strong power forward led them to pick Slafkovsky over Cooley, Nemec, and Jiricek, far more talented players. That's going to cost them for a long time. I wonder if ownership put pressure on them to take the big strong winger after they blew it by passing on Brady Tkachuk? Slaf ain't no Brady. He isn't terrible at least, he does have upside to be a decent 2nd liner. But poor value considering who they passed on. Even Cutter Gauthier will be better.

That got me curious and went to check how they voted their pool on the Habs board

1. Lane Hutson, 50.8% (+7)
2. David Reinbacher, 84.8% (NA)
3. Logan Mailloux, 37.2% (+4)
4. Joshua Roy, 37.7% (+1)
5. Adam Engstrom, 42.8% (+21)
6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)
7. Emil Heineman, 40.7% (+6)
8. Sean Farrell, 65.6% (-5)
9. Filip Mesar, 54.5% (-3)
10. Jakub Dobes, 29.5% (+4)
11. Jacob Fowler, 42.1% (NA)
12. Riley Kidney, 39.5% (+0)
13. Jayden Struble, 54.3% (+8)
14. Oliver Kapanen, 36.5% (+10)
15. William Trudeau, 37.3% (+15)
16. Cayden Primeau, 29.2% (-5)
17. Luke Tuch, 33.7% (+6)
18. Bogdan Konyushkov, 33.9% (NA)
19. Vincenz Rohrer, 33.3% (-1)
20. Jared Davidson, 32.5% (+14)

Juraj Slafkovsky has only played 39 NHL games, Kaiden Guhle only NHL 44 games, Harvey-Pinard 38 NHL games, Jesse Ylönen 52 NHL games, Arber Xhekaj 51 NHL games and Justin Barron only 46 NHL games

They could have been qualified if they used the 65 games threshold we use...If you count them, it gives the Habs a pretty sick Top-15. Plus, they have Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook and Harris all on the roster and less than 25 y/o. Kovacevic one of the best waiver claims in recent years is 26 y/o

After less than 2 years of rebuild and starting with much less valuable assets than we did, it's highly impressive. For the future, Habs fans seem worried about Buffalo but not really about Detroit and Ottawa. We need that a few of these prospects bust or disappoint a lot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know where Josh will fit on the roster as it appears to be full at the moment with limited cash available.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
IMO they would have different roles. If Kelly gets pushed out Bailey won't replace him on the 4th line
Well - he won't run around and take a ton of offensive zone penalties, so if DJ is looking for that particular skill set Kelly is definitely safe.

On the other hand, he can take Kelly's role on the PK while adding more offensive upside and some vet leadership.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well - he won't run around and take a ton of offensive zone penalties, so if DJ is looking for that particular skill set Kelly is definitely safe.

On the other hand, he can take Kelly's role on the PK while adding more offensive upside and some vet leadership.
But Kelly was like their favorite man child. He was gifted a spot and beloved almost as much as the legendary Max McCormick.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dj will fix all these problems. Dorion will help him

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Just thinking out loud:

Chuck - Norris - Bath
Tara - Stu - Giroux
Kubalik - Pinto - Bailey
Greig - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly, MacEwen, etc.

That's some serious depth, but in reality we probably can't fit them all under the cap.

- Greig might start in the AHL if we can fit both Pinto and Joseph (say if we trade Branny), but just to give Greig some more meaningful minutes. Replace with Kelly or MacEwen.

- Greig might replace Pinto in the above if Pinto holds out.

- Kellor or MacEwen might replace Joseph if we have to trade him or send him down to make room under the cap.

Reactions: gab6511

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
That got me curious and went to check how they voted their pool on the Habs board

1. Lane Hutson, 50.8% (+7)
2. David Reinbacher, 84.8% (NA)
3. Logan Mailloux, 37.2% (+4)
4. Joshua Roy, 37.7% (+1)
5. Adam Engstrom, 42.8% (+21)
6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)
7. Emil Heineman, 40.7% (+6)
8. Sean Farrell, 65.6% (-5)
9. Filip Mesar, 54.5% (-3)
10. Jakub Dobes, 29.5% (+4)
11. Jacob Fowler, 42.1% (NA)
12. Riley Kidney, 39.5% (+0)
13. Jayden Struble, 54.3% (+8)
14. Oliver Kapanen, 36.5% (+10)
15. William Trudeau, 37.3% (+15)
16. Cayden Primeau, 29.2% (-5)
17. Luke Tuch, 33.7% (+6)
18. Bogdan Konyushkov, 33.9% (NA)
19. Vincenz Rohrer, 33.3% (-1)
20. Jared Davidson, 32.5% (+14)

Juraj Slafkovsky has only played 39 NHL games, Kaiden Guhle only NHL 44 games, Harvey-Pinard 38 NHL games, Jesse Ylönen 52 NHL games, Arber Xhekaj 51 NHL games and Justin Barron only 46 NHL games

They could have been qualified if they used the 65 games threshold we use...If you count them, it gives the Habs a pretty sick Top-15. Plus, they have Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook and Harris all on the roster and less than 25 y/o. Kovacevic one of the best waiver claims in recent years is 26 y/o

After less than 2 years of rebuild and starting with much less valuable assets than we did, it's highly impressive. For the future, Habs fans seem worried about Buffalo but not really about Detroit and Ottawa. We need that a few of these prospects bust or disappoint a lot
Pretty meh until they get a top flight centre, and their potential forward group isn't all that impressive in general either. Not saying Suzuki is bad, but he's kind of like Turris; an ideal 1B centre. Decent defensive group, though a lot is riding on Hutson becoming a #1D, and he might never be defensively responsible enough to go about that role effectively beyond simply being a great offensive threat.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't mind bringing muscle to protect the kids. In fact, I want to see it.

But I do find it sad that we have to do it because Montreal thinks it's 1975. You'd think every team by now would want to search under every rock for talent these days, instead of focusing on beating people up in a meaningless rookie tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad