Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Let's not forget it's just day 1 and there are 2 groups still. Once they cut down then we will see what the combos are. Try them all out, see what you got.

On a side note, zhilkin in what little ive seen of him looks like a huge steal

Where did you see Zhilkin? Has some of training camp been broadcast?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i do think connor-scheifele-ehlers needs a bit more jam or bite to that line. i think when ehlers is the feistiest forward of the line that's a bit of a problem :laugh: but that line should be v good on offense.

bowness did reference perfetti needing some size to accompany him - no disagreement there. looks like he likely will not be C this year, i don't think he's there physically, or atleast to the point bowness prefers.

no scheifele+wheeler though :nod:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Loving Bones comments from TC today.

- Buy in
- Hark work
- Attn to detail

All fans can want from players regardless of skill level. Excited to see the team play and players earn their positions
Im excited to hear coach interviews that are kind of boring - except I feel like I understand what was said by the end of it... been a while.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Echoing my thoughts. I've been on the Essymont bandwagon since watching him with the Moose. Amazing pest, would like to see him get a shot on the 4th line, the Jets need a player like that.

He seems like one of those players that just bides his time, then gets a shot due to injury and never gets sent down again.

Reactions: JetsFan815

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Certainly in many respects, again as I’ve said before obviously ya know I think with respect to ya know again each and every player in all aspects certainly ya know our focus is again obviously how we’re certainly fortunate to have an opportunity in many respects like we’ve said before.

Chevy's on the board!

Must say I prefer the Bowness direct style to the High Oratorical PoMo:

Bowness: "We've got a good team here, plenty of skill and desire. We're gonna be a lot more aggressive through the lineup, especially from defence, and we want a bit more offence there also. Looking for more activation through the zones, and ways to tighten up the gaps coming back."

PoMo: "Well, there's more than one way to carve a turkey. Some of these young guys they want that big ol' 'lectrical carving knife straight away, and then you're gonna get all the gizzard, right, and none of the good cuts. So what we're gonna do is the ketchup -- who in the big bright beautiful world eats that on a hotdog? Which by the way isn't something Big Ronnie Francis would ever do, before he hung 'em up, now there was a player boyo, could skill past a guy or blow him right up... These kids, right? Earn it, that's what I tell him. That's the Soo on a Saturday night. Polish up the car keys? Heck no. Back to the factory floor, Punky. Show me some blowing guys up. Show me boardwork. Then you get to peel that big ol' stats padding onion on PP1."

#TGFBones

#NoCaptainToBeak

#FreeTheCarKeys

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy's on the board!

Must say I prefer the Bowness direct style to the High Oratorical PoMo:

Bowness: "We've got a good team here, plenty of skill and desire. We're gonna be a lot more aggressive through the lineup, especially from defence, and we want a bit more offence there also. Looking for more activation through the zones, and ways to tighten up the gaps coming back."

PoMo: "Well, there's more than one way to carve a turkey. Some of these young guys they want that big ol' 'lectrical carving knife straight away, and then you're gonna get all the gizzard, right, and none of the good cuts. So what we're gonna do is the ketchup -- who in the big bright beautiful world eats that on a hotdog? Which by the way isn't something Big Ronnie Francis would ever do, before he hung 'em up, now there was a player boyo, could skill past a guy or blow him right up... These kids, right? Earn it, that's what I tell him. That's the Soo on a Saturday night. Polish up the car keys? Heck no. Back to the factory floor, Punky. Show me some blowing guys up. Show me boardwork. Then you get to peel that big ol' stats padding onion on PP1."

#TGFBones

#NoCaptainToBeak

#FreeTheCarKeys

Lmao.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Looking forward to this season -

If Bowness can get through with his message, we should see a completely different game from the same players.
That's asking a lot and will take some time - it's more than just understanding the message, it's also transitioning that message into their game - consistently.

Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing what this roster can do before we decide it isn't good enough.
It might not be pretty in the early stages - I can see us looking a little sloppy until the players adjust - I'm ok with that but will require patience.

Training camp is step one and it looks encouraging - once the season gets started, my time will be spent watching to confirm who is buying in and who isn't - hopefully I don't have to worry too much about the later.

IMO, the major unknown at this point, for both Bowness and the players, is accountability - talk the talk, walk the walk.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really like what I am hearing from TC. Optimism rising. Bowness a clear change from PM and saying things I like to hear.

Zhilkin seems to be making a very strong impression for an 18YO just drafted in the 3rd rd. Speed and skill. :thumbu:

I do agree, that having what I consider our 2 best snipers in Connor and Ehlers on our 1st line, doesn't seem right to me. Just with Connor and Scheifele alone on the 1st line, is plenty of scoring power. I'd move one of Ehlers or Connor down to the 2nd line, to give us a great scoring threat from our 1st and 2nd lines, and a more balanced attack. Right now, it looks like the 1st line is a little too stacked with our best goal scorers.

Its early TC. I'm sure a variety of line combos will be tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad