Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
True but there is also only one puck and putting your three best players on one line isn't always the best way to go about it. But I'm interested to see how it looks. It's an awful lot of speed and skill.
Yeah I agree with that. Would be nice if this team had some more depth up front.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I agree with that. Would be nice if this team had some more depth up front.

I'm more concerned about goalscoring on the Dubois line then I am about the top line truth be told. More depth so that Blake can slide to one 3 would be nice.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Connor scheifele ehlers I think can be a basically a suped of ESL *if scheifele gets back to his 2016-2018 self in 200 ft play*
And considering Connor is a bit more well rounded than Laine was during the 16-17 season as a 18 year old.

Scheifele is pretty versatile on offense. He doesn't shoot lots, although his sh% would indicate maybe they should feature him as a shooter more often. And it's not like he's banging in pucks in front of the net, usually they're snipes. Ehlers ofc is strong as both play-maker and shooter and top offensive drivers.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Really exciting to see all the team components on the table and how the combinations are sorting out..
I expect we’ll still see some shuffling of the deck as the preseason starts, perhaps even into regular season.
The cool thing about that is that Bones will be able to mix things up on the flyin games where we need to take advantage of the oppositions’ weaknesses.

Reactions: GNP

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Hockey Time

giphy.gif

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Interesting that they are trying Heinola on the right side

He's pretty versatile in terms of positioning -- tends to attack from the right and defend from the left, but should be able to manage either or both, especially with a solid partner. Schmidt is an obvious comparison here I guess.

Not sure why they didn't do this a bit more before, although IIRC PoMo wasn't a fan of defenders playing on their offsides.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bowness bringing up goals, and gonna assume overall offense from the backend is great. IIRC they were at the bottom 5 of the league in goals from Dmen, beleive 31st in sh% (working off memory here)

Edit: it was at 5v5: middle of the pack in shots, 2nd last in the league in goals and last in sh% for the defense group.

Having said that, dmen engaged more offensively, ie: creeping on in the ozone, I can see a drawback on their defensive responsibilities/effectiveness ....are the fwds ready and motivated to help out (looking at you 55 and 81). I also do wonder if these group of dmen are good enough to put the puck in the net.

I do like him bringing up aswell how poor this team was in zone-denials and an area they need improvement too

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know it's the team's social media posting these pictures, and they're not going to put pictures up that aren't good, but these guys really look....happy? They seem to be really enjoying themselves. My optimism is growing, dang it.
They theme seems to be "vibes" and based off this offseason methinks they'll do their best to promote that.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I am actually glad that the team didn’t make any big moves in the off-season. I want to see what some of the younger guys can add to the lineup. I am also convinced that Paul Maurice’s handcuffs on this team were to blame for a lot of the poor play and lack of creativity.
So this year I think we’ll see if the Maurice effect was as bad as many of us thought.
I have a lot of optimism for this year and I think they’ll out-perform last year by a healthy margin.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
True but there is also only one puck and putting your three best players on one line isn't always the best way to go about it. But I'm interested to see how it looks. It's an awful lot of speed and skill.

I agree, I've been stating that he is likely Schmidt's long term replacement so should be developed as such.
I do agree, that having what I consider our 2 best snipers in Connor and Ehlers on our 1st line, doesn't seem right to me. Just with Connor and Scheifele alone on the 1st line, is plenty of scoring power. I'd move one of Ehlers or Connor down to the 2nd line, to give us a great scoring threat from our 1st and 2nd lines, and a more balanced attack. Right now, it looks like the 1st line is a little too stacked with our best goal scorers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad