Training Camp 2019 - Senators 63-player roster announced

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Really disappointed L.Brown didn't make the team out of camp. A 21yr old former 11th overall pick, that is 6ft6 should be in the NHL by now. It's really starting to look like a bad pick. What gives?

Why do you believe he should be in the NHL by now? Not all players develop at the same rate and I have no problem with Brown playing big minutes in Belleville and if he plays well and deserves to be called up then great.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't see Ho Sang being a guy our org has much interest in, based on our history with these sorts of things.

Petan either.

Baertschi is interesting though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I don't see Ho Sang being a guy our org has much interest in, based on our history with these sorts of things.

Petan either.

Baertschi is interesting though.

I rather sven too but nucks are making the move to get under the cap. if we can claim him outright that would be great, but we would most likely can't. Chlapik being sent down would still mean that we gained 1.9 million in actual salary. Boedker would be who want them to take but that makes no sense cap hit wise, maybe if we retain...

Reactions: BonkTastic

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
What does Jaros bring that other guys don’t. He probably deserves to be there over Golobouf but he was looking at being the 7th defensemen so its probably best he plays in Belleville. We will see how Brannstrom does, i wouldn’t be surprised that if he is struggling he will be down in Belleville by November.
Jaros is probably never going to develop into anything more than a third pairing d-man. He has his limitations, but he offers a physical edge, can eat up PK minutes, and can at least make an outlet pass.

I don't think his ceiling is any higher than it already is, which is why I don't get the send down, especially when he is far more qualified for any of those jobs (except throwing fists) as Boro is.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jaros is probably never going to develop into anything more than a third pairing d-man. He has his limitations, but he offers a physical edge, can eat up PK minutes, and can at least make an outlet pass.

I don't think his ceiling is any higher than it already is, which is why I don't get the send down, especially when he is far more qualified for any of those jobs (except throwing fists) as Boro is.

I was hoping we`d keep him around instead of relying on Boro to be the physical presence, but he just doesn't seem to play in a way to take on that role.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Jaros wasn’t very good in pre season, so he gets sent down to work on his game and get ready for his next call up.

at this point I’d rather give him a chance to work at being a top 4 guy in Belleville, again with some of our top prospects, not a wasteland, instead of resigning that his development is over and he’s nothing more than a third line defender.

he still has a chance to develop more, and playing lots of minutes in a top four would be better for him.

we can’t really judge Hainsey during preseason, he’s an 18 year vet warming up, and Jaros was not better than any other defender. We still have Wolanin coming back as well, who will likely bump EB down, so Jaros would be better served to get a jump start on a top 4 spot and get to work right away in Belleville.

just my 2 cents of course.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don’t we have to give an NHL spot to a waiver pick up? Not only do we not pick up players with huge red flag character issues, but we’re rebuilding, and only have spots for insulating vets, and developing prospects. We’re looking to develop, and accepting finishing bottom 3. There is zero need to pick up these types of players.

Also, in the context of our rebuild, they do not deserve an NHL spot handed to them for free.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Sprong and Ho-Sang on waivers

&:

Goldobin
Baertschi
DeSmith
Cehlarik
Djoos
Santini (from Subban trade)

Doubt we have any interest in Sprong or HoSang. I'd look at Djoos or Santini, and I'd take DeSmith if we didn't sign Nilsson/had traded Anderson. Cehlarik is somewhat intriguing too, could be a 3rd liner.

Don’t we have to give an NHL spot to a waiver pick up? Not only do we not pick up players with huge red flag character issues, but we’re rebuilding, and only have spots for insulating vets, and developing prospects. We’re looking to develop, and accepting finishing bottom 3. There is zero need to pick up these types of players.

Also, in the context of our rebuild, they do not deserve an NHL spot handed to them for free.

Djoos/Santini could replace Boro or come on as our #7 D. Send down Goloubef. Cehlarik, Goldobin or Baertschi could become our 23rd skater to compete with Boedker & Chlapik or we can send down Sabourin.

I'm not saying we take anyone, but if theres a guy you think could be a player, its not that hard to find a way to get some looks in at him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
We are already at 49 contracts, only 1 left.

I don't think that is accurate. Ollie Alsing and Lassi Thomson have contracts but are not playing in the NHL, AHL or ECHL so I am pretty sure their contracts don't count against the limit. Also I am not sure what the impact of LTIR is so players like Callahan, Gaborik and MacArthur may or may not count against the contract limit while they are on LTIR.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I don't think that is accurate. Ollie Alsing and Lassi Thomson have contracts but are not playing in the NHL, AHL or ECHL so I am pretty sure their contracts don't count against the limit. Also I am not sure what the impact of LTIR is so players like Callahan, Gaborik and MacArthur may or may not count against the contract limit while they are on LTIR.
capfriendly shows 49 contracts. Counting all contracts, including LTIR, there are 52, so take off the 3 LTIR off and you have 49. You could be right, but capfriendly is usually very good.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Technically the Senators have 51 contracts on the books, but only 49 count. Lassi Thomson and Jon Gruden's contracts will slide because they're both U-20 players. On the other hand, Olle Alsing's contract counts against the limit because he's 23.

All LTIR contracts continue to count.

So I don't expect any waiver claims because that would put us at the 50 contract limit. Even if it does makes a lot of sense to take a guy like Christian Djoos.

Reactions: Sen sational

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sabourin made it 49. There was some criticism out there because of the number of contracts that would remain due to that signing. Goldobin, Sprong, Hosang .. would really all be worthy of a test drive here.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would have loved to take a shot on Ho-Sang, Sprong or Baertschi, but as others have said there's zero chance the team does that with 49 contracts on the books. They aren't gonna push themselves up against the limit, and certainly not for guys with perceived character issues.

That ship sailed with the Scotty Sabourin signing, for better or for worse.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Colin White. I see him as a Bergeron in the making.
Hate to be debbie downer, but we need to lower our expectations. White tops out as a 20G 50Pt player imo. If he plays a solid 2 way game that's great, but #1 Centers need to produce like a #1 C. I don't ever see that happening with him unfortunately. He can be an ok #2C long term hopefully. Im such an optimist.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hate to be debbie downer, but we need to lower our expectations. White tops out as a 20G 50Pt player imo. If he plays a solid 2 way game that's great, but #1 Centers need to produce like a #1 C. I don't ever see that happening with him unfortunately. He can be an ok #2C long term hopefully. Im such an optimist.
Probably a realist in this case. I am a Colin White fan but he is not a 1C and is not trending that way right now. He could be a 2C and he will be tougher to push out of that spot because of his two way game and his smarts. On a good team White is probably a 3C or a 2RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad