Training Camp 2019 - Senators 63-player roster announced

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Complete conjecture but Smith’s early interviews said he wanted to focus on reducing goals against. Also seem to remember it was going to be the focus at the beginning of the year. Any chance our prospects looked less than offensively engaged because they were trying to play the right way defensively?

Just like Boucher said when he arrived here. He had to change in his latter years as the defensive game broke down and the offensive game did not increase enough to bring wins. Its deja vu all over again! Thanks Casey!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's probably expecting too much out of him.
I'd take a flyer on Ho-Sang, but odds are better that he busts than he becomes a regular NHL player. A coach not wanting to take on a player that has a reputation for being a real headache for coaches and hasn't shown he belongs in the NHL by 23 years old isn't something that should be viewed as a negative.

Man Dorion loves his shiny objects.

Brannstrom and Batherson should be down along with Brown. Jaros kept up

I don't think Jaros showed any reason he should be kept up at camp. Are we keeping him up solely so that we can send down Brannstrom?

It really is too bad Wolanin got hurt.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd take a flyer on Ho-Sang, but odds are better that he busts than he becomes a regular NHL player. A coach not wanting to take on a player that has a reputation for being a real headache for coaches and hasn't shown he belongs in the NHL by 23 years old isn't something that should be viewed as a negative.

I don't think Jaros showed any reason he should be kept up at camp. Are we keeping him up solely so that we can send down Brannstrom?

It really is too bad Wolanin got hurt.

Jaros didn't have a great camp. In the context of a rebuild . I would keep him up and make Boro the 7th D.
Lajoie was sent down early. He could have been given a longer look in competition with Brannstrom.
Batherson was disappointing to me. I expected to see something more.. A shift or two where he stood out would have been nice.
Brown was not given the same opportunity as Batherson. IMO he had a better overall camp then Batherson
We don't have a better right winger out of Davidsson, Verenneau, Abramov, Rodewald, Szwarz, Sturtz, Carcone (L), Klimchuk(L)....... than Sabourin (as good a story as that is) . That is very sad
I don't expect "the deterrent" to sit in the press box for 50% of the games

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jaros didn't have a great camp. In the context of a rebuild . I would keep him up and make Boro the 7th D.
Lajoie was sent down early. He could have been given a longer look in competition with Brannstrom.
Batherson was disappointing to me. I expected to see something more.. A shift or two where he stood out would have been nice.
Brown was not given the same opportunity as Batherson. IMO he had a better overall camp then Batherson
We don't have a better right winger out of Davidsson, Verenneau, Abramov, Rodewald, Szwarz, Sturtz, Carcone (L), Klimchuk(L)....... than Sabourin (as good a story as that is) . That is very sad
I don't expect "the deterrent" to sit in the press box for 50% of the games

Honestly, I think Jaros, Brannstrom, Lajoie all could use more time in the AHL,
I think Brown could use more time in the AHL as well.

Batherson would certainly be down if we had more depth at RW, but the good news is our lack of depth meals quality icetime is available for him, so I see opportunity for him to develop at the NHL Level.

Sabourin is going to get that 8 mins that if any other play was getting we'd call bloody murder for not developing players properly. He takes up the role and slot that prospects with upside should never be in.

In the end, it's a tank year, we shouldn't be making the best NHL roster, we should be putting guys in the best place to develop. So long as Batherson and Brannstrom are getting quality mins, I'm happy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
do people forget that Batherson ripped the AHL last year while Brown was good?

It is not a slight or showing favoritism. Add to the fact that we have a lot of centres up here it makes total sense to give Batherson a chance for now to be on the team.

Batherson definitly deserves an extended look for what he accomplished last year in the AHL and should be given more rope than Brown. If Brown starts ripping up the AHL we can see him quickly up here

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 03.24.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 03.24.42.png
    748.4 KB · Views: 6

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
do people forget that Batherson ripped the AHL last year while Brown was good?

It is not a slight or showing favoritism. Add to the fact that we have a lot of centres up here it makes total sense to give Batherson a chance for now to be on the team.

Batherson definitly deserves an extended look for what he accomplished last year in the AHL and should be given more rope than Brown. If Brown starts ripping up the AHL we can see him quickly up here

Ya that's what the stats say. Batherson ripped it up. What the coach says is Brown was the reason he did that. Anyway, there was an opportunity for Batherson, notcso much for Brown. I dont think Batherson had anything left to prove in the A so that and a vacancy and here he is. And with Brown I suspect they'll solve the lack of space by the 40 game mark

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not to mention, who in their right mind wants any of those guys playing the same role as Scott Sabourin?? Not me.

Good point. I don't want the kids wrecking their hands bashing them against helmet....including Tkachuk. I know he likes to go and all of that, but the kid needs those hands.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Sabourin's role is to play 7 or 8 mins a night. Which prospect should be getting that job exactly? Better they get big minutes in the A, even guys like Parker Kelly.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No love for the hometown boys.

It has nothing to do with hometown and everything to do with bad habits that refuse to die.

Some people get some kind of weird satisfaction by dunking on what they perceive to be an easy target. I really don't get it.

Some dude performed well in camp and got a super cheap two-way contract? Man Dorion is such a tool!

I guess it is an extension of the "if it ain't the best then it is horsecrap and I'm worth more than that!" logic.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It has nothing to do with hometown and everything to do with bad habits that refuse to die.

Some people get some kind of weird satisfaction by dunking on what they perceive to be an easy target. I really don't get it.

Some dude performed well in camp and got a super cheap two-way contract? Man Dorion is such a tool!

I guess it is an extension of the "if it ain't the best then it is horsecrap and I'm worth more than that!" logic.

I hear you. It’s a shame because from what I’ve seen so far I think I might just love this guy on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->