Training Camp 2018

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Honestly, I think Merkley played that pretty well to be honest. I mean, considering the experience gap. He stayed with his man, kept stick on puck as much as possible, and boxed him out. Leaving him alone in front of the net like that isn't ideal, but I imagine that was more to do with the drill they were running than him actually screwing up.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Vlasic is 2 inches taller and 35lbs heavier than Merkley, so I'd assume he is the larger guy carrying the puck there. That's not exactly Vlasic's strong suit, but I thought Merkley played it fine. I really hope being around 3 Norris caliber defencemen really helps Merkley develop well.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

KKurzNHL

Sep 1, 2013
Kurz with the condescending "for some reason" tacked on. If you think there is a reason beyond last seasons play then go "way inside" and ask. I see nothing wrong with that 4th line configuration. I like Melkman but other 4th liners have earned a shot.

Unfortunately, Pete DeBoer wasn't responding to my texts about Melker Karlsson's status while he was on the ice conducting practice, so we had to wait until he came off of the ice.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
DeBoer really needs to just not overcomplicate things. We know Hertl-Couture-Labanc works, just stick Meier with Donskoi and Suomela. And on defense you obviously go with a Vlasic-Karlsson Ryan-Burns top four. He's going to find some way to screw this up though.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
My body is ready for Burns to play with Dillon and Braun to continue to play with Vlasic.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
DeBoer really needs to just not overcomplicate things. We know Hertl-Couture-Labanc works, just stick Meier with Donskoi and Suomela. And on defense you obviously go with a Vlasic-Karlsson Ryan-Burns top four. He's going to find some way to screw this up though.
Why do you think that?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Meier with Hertl and Couture is idiotic. No one on that line can complete a difficult pass. Labanc and Donskoi are much better fits with those two. It's incredible DeBoer still doesn't know his players.

Or he knows that in order to win you need your best players to play with each other and to match other top lines.

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I love Mike Johnson but his line-up was
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Karlsson
Vlasic - Braun

I mean, it could work out but I don't think it's ideal.
The only good thing about that lineup is that one of Burns or Karlsson will be out against 4th liners.

I would prefer Vlasic-Karlsson but I would not be shocked to still see Vlasic-Braun similar to how we see Pavs-Jumbo no matter what.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The only good thing about that lineup is that one of Burns or Karlsson will be out against 4th liners.

I would prefer Vlasic-Karlsson but I would not be shocked to still see Vlasic-Braun similar to how we see Pavs-Jumbo no matter what.

Vlasic seems to think he and EK will be together.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Good.

Just hoping that works out better than Vlasic-Burns.

Vlasic thinks the game to much to be good with burns i think. Vlasic is more of a chess player, if that makes sense to any one but me.

Burns needs someone that doesn't try to read plays offensively or defensively. He needs a partner that can just react to the unorthodox stuff burns does.

Karlsson is more regular defense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Vlasic-Dillon
Burns-Karlsson
Ryan-Braun

Burns always ready for that one timer and the world will burn

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Vlasic thinks the game to much to be good with burns i think. Vlasic is more of a chess player, if that makes sense to any one but me.

Burns needs someone that doesn't try to read plays offensively or defensively. He needs a partner that can just react to the unorthodox stuff burns does.

Karlsson is more regular defense.

Karlsson isn't a reckless and wild animal on the ice. I think it would look similar to when Vlasic played with Doughty.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Unfortunately, Pete DeBoer wasn't responding to my texts about Melker Karlsson's status while he was on the ice conducting practice, so we had to wait until he came off of the ice.
If Melker had been nursing an upper body injury during the summer, seems like a "beat writer" like yourself would have known this already...

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad