Training Camp 2018

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
On paper it looks like a match made in heaven. The #1 offensive defenseman in the league paired with arguably the #1 defensive defenseman in the league. But you never know how good the chemistry will be between them. The Vlasic-Burns pairing similarly looked good on paper, but it ultimately didn't work out that well and they split them up.

Plus there is a significant difference in how they are deployed. Vlasic's ZSR (zone start ratio = OZS/(OZS + DZS)) is 36 and Karlsson's is 61 (Burn's is 67).

Hard to compare Burns and Karlsson as they play significantly different styles and are night and day when it comes to positional play. I would say that Vlasic's success, when paired with Doughty, is more comparable than his time with Burn. At least from a playing style point of view.

Vlasic also shares many traits with Methot who is arguably the D pairing where Karlsson has been the best.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Karlsson, as most 1D have, has proven he can eat 30 min a night without an elite d man next to him.

Simple fact here is that we have enough depth now that we can load up a top pairing, so might as well.

Not sure I am following you.... because the Sharks have great depth on the blueline and perhaps the best 5/6 dmen in the league you want to play the top pairing more?

I am 100% in favour of Vlasic - Karlsson as the top pairing and you can play them in any situation
You shelter Burns - Ryan with Ozone starts and have zero hesitation putting out Dillion - Braun to take dzone face off against almost any line.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think it’s fairly clear now that Karlsson will play the last two preseason games only. I doubt they’ll have him fly up to Calgary for the game next week.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Not sure I am following you.... because the Sharks have great depth on the blueline and perhaps the best 5/6 dmen in the league you want to play the top pairing more?

I am 100% in favour of Vlasic - Karlsson as the top pairing and you can play them in any situation
You shelter Burns - Ryan with Ozone starts and have zero hesitation putting out Dillion - Braun to take dzone face off against almost any line.

I think its more i dont need to spread my talent out and can maximize my offensive output. The 30 min comment was more to illustrate that karlsson can and will be effective with anyone.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Burns and Braun on the same line together in practice. Thinking that Deboer is going to see how they do before demoting Braun to the third line (he's served faithfully as a Top 4 D for a long while now).

Wondering if it's going to be:

Vlasic - Karlsson
Braun - Burns
Dillon - Ryan

...at least to start the year.

I'm actually curious about Ryan with Dillon. He has offensive prowess, doesn't he? I'd like to see him try to reignite that in the NHL with Dillon.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Burns and Braun on the same line together in practice. Thinking that Deboer is going to see how they do before demoting Braun to the third line (he's served faithfully as a Top 4 D for a long while now).

Vlasic - Karlsson
Braun - Burns
Dillon - Ryan

I'm actually curious about Ryan with Dillon. He has offensive prowess, doesn't he? I'd like to see him try to reignite that in the NHL with Dillon.
Ugh, playing players on their offside bugs me. Hopefully it bugs the players less.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I am 100% for the Vlasic - Karlsson pairing.

Just playing devil's advocate, but some dmen just work with lesser partners. Boyle comes to mind; meshes great with Murray and Lukowich, not great with Vlasic.

We will see how it plays out. Whatever happens, we got Erik f'in Karlsson!!

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

Vlasic - Karlsson
Braun - Burns
Dillon - Ryan

I really have a hard time believing they would play two RHD together and then on the next pairing two LHD.
If Braun does well on Burns' left, maybe they'd resurrect the Ryan-Heed cuda pairing and use Dillon to find us 3C help (or for a #7 vet and picks).
One of Braun or Dillon is likely gone after this year to help clear some cap for next offseason

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Vlasic - Karlsson
Braun - Burns
Dillon - Ryan

Ryan played last night, they did the same thing last time he did that. Nothing to see here.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I really have a hard time believing they would play two RHD together and then on the next pairing two LHD.
If Braun does well on Burns' left, maybe they'd resurrect the Ryan-Heed cuda pairing and use Dillon to find us 3C help (or for a #7 vet and picks).
One of Braun or Dillon is likely gone after this year to help clear some cap for next offseason
It appears as though Ryan and Burns were in separate practice groups, and Braun has kind of been a placeholder. I'd bet that Braun is on the block right now, but they'd be ok with him on the 3rd pairing if nothing good comes about.

Reactions: Herschel

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Vlasic-EK65
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Heed

I feel like this is what we should be rolling. Makes the most sense anyway.

I have a feeling Simek may make it over Heed. Karlsson’s addition makes Heed’s skill set less important. If so, I hope they can find a trade partner for Heed to avoid losing him for nothing.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Radil actually stuck out to me on several occasions even before his goal. Im intrigued to see how he comes back next game.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
All the games i have seen have been streams from illegitimate sources and from the other pacific teams. I haven't been able to watch anything put out by the Sharks.
I haven't been able to watch any either, about 30 minutes northeast of san jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad