HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
?

Maybe Ehlers-Roslovic-Dano next game?

Let's also see if we get Myers-Byfuglien again...

I personally think your first two lines are what we will see. I think that Lemieux is going to end up with Ehlers and Roslovic. I know some disagree, but I thought he was a really good fit last time. He is much faster than I thought, not afraid of going anywhere difficult (corners, front of net), and actually has good offensive instincts. He's turned me right around on him.

If Ehlers/Roslovic/Lemieux is our 4th(?) line, they are going to really pad their stats.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There might be better options than Myers for the PP, but I don't think Trouba has the skills or the smarts to be such an option. The guy is so overrated here IMO. There are reasons why Chevy isn't getting a trade offer he likes. I should devote the entire season to pointing out every Trouba brain cramp that manifests itself. I could be like Joe Bob Briggs, who provided viewers with much needed information, like the number of "nekkid breasts" a movie contained.

As for wanting to be someplace where he will be treated with the respect he deserves, hey Troubs... sometimes life is like this. :nod:

giphy.gif

Full disclosure: I am a Trouba hater, have been for some time. Expect my Trouba narrative to reflect that.

I agree that Trouba would not make a great PP player. I don't see the Trouba that everyone else sees except for small pieces of the season. He would have been traded long ago if he was the player he thinks he is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have a sneaky suspicion they waive Petan

Entirely possible. I doubt he has much trade value, if any. He may flourish in another org. Or he may be a career AHL/Europe player.

Missing this TC may mean he missed his last chance with the Jets.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
"hey, Nic, how you father died is really unfortunate. really is awful. We have that charity set up in Rick Rypien's memory. anyways, need to tell you that you're waived. we wish you the best."

I mean you could easily change that to this

"Hey, Nic, how your father died is really unfortuante, really is awful. We have that charity set up in Rick Rypien's memory. Anyways, need to tell you that you made the team because well we can't look bad by waiving you, we wish you the best."

If you remove one thing from the other basically has he actually earned a role on this team?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm stuck on Ves, I can see him making the team out of camp for them to have a look how he plays over the first month in real games , but ultimately I think that spot ends up Dano's. Unless Ves lights it up offensively I don't think they'll keep him up long, his role won't be defensive conscious on a sheltered line.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Waving petan and keeping ves up lmao. I don’t think it’d be possible to f*** up worse than that

But maurice is pretty f***ing Pejorative Slured so I wouldn’t be shocked

Reactions: JetsFan815

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

"Hey, Nic, how your father died is really unfortuante, really is awful. We have that charity set up in Rick Rypien's memory. Anyways, need to tell you that you made the team because well we can't look bad by waiving you, we wish you the best."

If you remove one thing from the other basically has he actually earned a role on this team?
that's my initial question

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He hasn't exactly had a chance to earn one in camp. I'm also of the mindset that the notion of earning a spot in camp is overblown as I feel two weeks against prospects and lakidasical vets is a poor indicator of what the player will actually do once the season starts. Petan's excellent PPG play on the Moose is what will have earned him a place on the team. That and his contract status.

I have a hard time seeing Chevy waiving him due to him not being able to attend moat of camp due to the family situation. Not only is it poor form but it's poor asset management. It's not like the waiver eligible players like Ves and Poolman have shot the lights out and made a convincing case to stick.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm stuck on Ves, I can see him making the team out of camp for them to have a look how he plays over the first month in real games , but ultimately I think that spot ends up Dano's. Unless Ves lights it up offensively I don't think they'll keep him up long, his role won't be defensive conscious on a sheltered line.
Vesa hasn't been great. Based on current performance Vesa isn't on the team.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He hasn't exactly had a chance to earn one in camp. I'm also of the mindset that the notion of earning a spot in camp is overblown as I feel two weeks against prospects and lakidasical vets is a poor indicator of what the player will actually do once the season starts. Petan's excellent PPG play on the Moose is what will have earned him a place on the team. That and his contract status.

I have a hard time seeing Chevy waiving him due to him not being able to attend moat of camp due to the family situation. Not only is it poor form but it's poor asset management. It's not like the waiver eligible players like Ves and Poolman have shot the lights out and made a convincing case to stick.
The team is pretty much set before camp. Maybe a fringe player gets a little bit of a look if he has an outstanding camp...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team is pretty much set before camp. Maybe a fringe player gets a little bit of a look if he has an outstanding camp...

Yup. That is pretty much how every team in the league operates. There are only a few slots up for grabs in a given year.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Waving petan and keeping ves up lmao. I don’t think it’d be possible to **** up worse than that

But maurice is pretty ****ing ******ed so I wouldn’t be shocked
That wouldn't be Maurice's call to make. It would be chevys. Based on Chevy giving him a 2 way contract it is very possible he thinks he might have to do it

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Would it have been so shocking if Petan had stayed and made sure he got his spot instead of going to his father's funeral. Like this is once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm sure his father and his family would have understood. This is what you work for your whole life.
Don't know if I'm actually that cold hearted to believe it, but, just putting the thought out there.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Would it have been so shocking if Petan had stayed and made sure he got his spot instead of going to his father's funeral. Like this is once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm sure his father and his family would have understood. This is what you work for your whole life.
Don't know if I'm actually that cold hearted to believe it, but, just putting the thought out there.

There is no way shape or form that he should be at TC until he is ready. Sorry, but your post is completely wrong

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

There Re far more important things in life then your career. Knowing the org even he would have wanted to stay they would have told him to go be with his family. This is the same org that gave Myers most of the year off to be with his wife and kid, told Ladd to go home during a road trip for the birth of a kid, Toby etc.

Reactions: DashingDane

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The Jets aren't going to waive Petan. Even if Vesalainen makes the team, Dano and Petan will be the PB forwards.

This. I don't think anybody has to clear waivers for KV to make the team. One of Chiarot, Morrow, Kulikov plus Petan and Dano would be the extra bodies in the PB. Niku and Lemieux to the Moose.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have a sneaky suspicion they waive Petan

As Maurice says "the tie goes to the vet", now Petan is the vet. Which other young player has played his way onto the team to warrant losing an asset for nothing on the waivers? Watching Vesalainen has just confirmed to me that he needs atleast a year in the AHL, people expecting him to make the NHL team are engaging in a fair bit of wishful thinking. Lemieux has been just okay, certainly no way near beating the doors down. These guys have combined 1 point in 6 games of the preseason. Last preseason, Petan was almost PPG, so was Kyle Connor in his first season, that's what "playing yourself onto the team" looks like. Anyone who feels that the Jets should expose Petan to the waiver wire is either very mistaken in their evaluation or is saying so out of sheer pettiness.

Regardless of the situation with his dad, the fact remains that no one else has played their way onto the team to warrant exposing Petan on the waivers. Add to that that Petan never even got a shot at camp due to his family situation, I see no conceivable way the Jets expose him to waivers, doing so would be bush league.

Last edited:

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Based on what? Camp? He's been as good as his competition. He played pro hockey last year. He earned a look based on those results.
yes based on camp.
Pro hockey last year wasn't the NHL.
He hasn't played better than Connor, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Perreault, and has very limited experience playing on North American ice. Ves skills aren't meant to play on the 4th line. He hasn't looked bad in any of the preseason games and has held his own, but certainly hasn't turned any heads. A season with the Moose wouldn't hurt him, but make the transition to the North American game easier.

*** left out the C's for obvious reason he is likely never to play that position.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They will do what they need to do to win cause right now that is all that is important.

When Pavelec was not bought out, guys like Jokinen were not traded we were told that the Jets can't do those things as the Jets want to project an image of a classy organization who players would want to play for, not one damn was given about "winning". Now apparently it's okay to waive a guy who missed training camp due to a family tragedy under the excuse of "winning" (despite there being no solid argument that there are other players with the Jets org that help us win more than Petan, unlike the case with the Pavelec situation)
Based on what? Camp? He's been as good as his competition. He played pro hockey last year. He earned a look based on those results.

He needs to beat out Dano for a spot on the roster and he hasn't really done so, he has also been put in every position to succeed playing with skill players and getting PP time. Dano has played games this pre-season with scrubs and looked good. Petan was also way more impressive in his 1 preseason game.

Kristian Reichel has also played pro-hockey, that doesn't warrent him getting a shot at the NHL. KV needs time to work on his 5 on 5 game and should do so with the Moose. If this was 2016 then maybe I could see an argument for keeping him up with the big club to develop, not now when we need to focus on winning and not developing players in the NHL.

Reactions: portamoral

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There Re far more important things in life then your career. Knowing the org even he would have wanted to stay they would have told him to go be with his family. This is the same org that gave Myers most of the year off to be with his wife and kid, told Ladd to go home during a road trip for the birth of a kid, Toby etc.
There is a difference between a sick kid and a dead parent. One is dead and no matter what you do you can't change that. Myers felt that being with his sick kid could help. In addition, the two examples you have given Ladd and Myers were already on the team. Petan is a bubble player and whether his position should go to Ves is up in the air.
Also are there far more important things than your career. You spend over 90% of your time at it. If it's the difference between doing what you love and being in the A where you have to then worry about making enough money. I guess the A is still pretty good but in a lesser league I can still see it being a tougher decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad