Training Camp 2018

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When Pavelec was not bought out, guys like Jokinen were not traded we were told that the Jets can't do those things as the Jets want to project an image of a classy organization who players would want to play for, not one damn was given about "winning". Now apparently it's okay to waive a guy who missed training camp due to a family tragedy under the excuse of "winning" (despite there being no solid argument that there are other players with the Jets org that help us win more than Petan, unlike the case with the Pavelec situation)

He needs to beat out Dano for a spot on the roster and he hasn't really done so, he has also been put in every position to succeed playing with skill players and getting PP time. Dano has played games this pre-season with scrubs and looked good. Petan was also way more impressive in his 1 preseason game.

Kristian Reichel has also played pro-hockey, that doesn't warrent him getting a shot at the NHL. KV needs time to work on his 5 on 5 game and should do so with the Moose. If this was 2016 then maybe I could see an argument for keeping him up with the big club to develop, not now when we need to focus on winning and not developing players in the NHL.

I agree the best place for Ves to be is on the Moose. I just hope Chevy can convince him of that rather then going to Europe. The Jets will have far more control over his development there. Including ensuring he gets a very long look at 1st line and PP1 minutes. It's funny when people say Niku needs to be sent down to work on his game because we can't be looking to develop young players in contending years but Vesalainen needs to stay because we have to work on developing him during our contending years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a difference between a sick kid and a dead parent. One is dead and no matter what you do you can't change that. Myers felt that being with his sick kid could help. In addition, the two examples you have given Ladd and Myers were already on the team. Petan is a bubble player and whether his position should go to Ves is up in the air.
Also are there far more important things than your career. You spend over 90% of your time at it. If it's the difference between doing what you love and being in the A where you have to then worry about making enough money. I guess the A is still pretty good but in a lesser league I can still see it being a tougher decision.

Petan will get more NHL opportunities. He needs to pass waivers to go to the AHL and Garrett has mentioned that there are organizations interested in him.

It's absolutely the same with regards to how it impacts you as a person. TNSE would be a pretty garbage org if they picked and chooses who is able to go personal leave without repercussions.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Vesa hasn't been great. Based on current performance Vesa isn't on the team.

I agree. And of all the bubble players he's the one with the most to gain from a stint in the AHL (contract clause notwithstanding). Don't get why some are so eager to pencil him into the roster based on this camp/preseason.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. And of all the bubble players he's the one with the most to gain from a stint in the AHL (contract clause notwithstanding). Don't get why some are so eager to pencil him into the roster based on this camp/preseason.

I think many are afraid of him going to Europe. If he sticks they don't have to worry about it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
There might be better options than Myers for the PP, but I don't think Trouba has the skills or the smarts to be such an option. The guy is so overrated here IMO. There are reasons why Chevy isn't getting a trade offer he likes. I should devote the entire season to pointing out every Trouba brain cramp that manifests itself. I could be like Joe Bob Briggs, who provided viewers with much needed information, like the number of "nekkid breasts" a movie contained.

As for wanting to be someplace where he will be treated with the respect he deserves, hey Troubs... sometimes life is like this. :nod:

giphy.gif

Full disclosure: I am a Trouba hater, have been for some time. Expect my Trouba narrative to reflect that.

DnP-Y9OUYAAF36U.jpg

*Shrug Emoji*

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can see the Jets waiving Petan but it would be by mutual consent. He might be at a bit of a cross roads and in a very tough situation with the Jets and needs a new start. The Jets might be willing to grant him an opportunity elsewhere through a trade or then a release if their are no suitors in a trade.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's odd that we haven't made any cuts yet. Even to the fringe guys. After this game maybe?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's odd that we haven't made any cuts yet. Even to the fringe guys. After this game maybe?
They released 6 players today I believe. It is a matter of keeping enough bodies around for the 3 B2B's. I'm guessing there will be a wave tomorrow and then more on Friday.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They released 6 players today I believe. It is a matter of keeping enough bodies around for the 3 B2B's. I'm guessing there will be a wave tomorrow and then more on Friday.

All I saw was that they released Appleby from his PTO.

Edit: Nevermind found it.
Charles-David Beaudoin
Simon Bourque
Jacob Cederholm
Luke Green
Tye McGinn
Matt Ustaski

were all sent down. Only McGinn and Ustaski saw any games.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They got a bunch of practice days coming up I would imagine after tonights game we see half of that team sent down and then after tomorrow they get down to 25 guys or so

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’m curious to hear what others think of Mason Appleton’s camp. To me he hasn’t stood out at all and I’d say he has had a disappointing showing.
Other thoughts?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I was hoping to see a bit more from Appleton, tbh, but I wouldn't make any rash judgments. He's going to be a driving force on what looks like a very strong Moose team.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I agree the best place for Ves to be is on the Moose. I just hope Chevy can convince him of that rather then going to Europe. The Jets will have far more control over his development there. Including ensuring he gets a very long look at 1st line and PP1 minutes. It's funny when people say Niku needs to be sent down to work on his game because we can't be looking to develop young players in contending years but Vesalainen needs to stay because we have to work on developing him during our contending years.
The difference is Vesalainen already seems to be defensively responsible and needs to build his offensive game but Niku is the opposite and being a D that will hurt us more than Vesa not putting the puck in the net.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I’m curious to hear what others think of Mason Appleton’s camp. To me he hasn’t stood out at all and I’d say he has had a disappointing showing.
Other thoughts?
Meh....with a capital M.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The difference is Vesalainen already seems to be defensively responsible and needs to build his offensive game but Niku is the opposite and being a D that will hurt us more than Vesa not putting the puck in the net.
Will it? The offense Niku can provide from the back seems more valuable to me than another defensive minded forward.

The thing about Niku is it's just about knowing where to be positionally and when, he already processes the game fast enough, which is way harder to learn.

Reactions: Ippenator

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I guess Petan is all but forgotten about ?? very bad timing on his family situation, and it's going to really make it hard now for him to crack the lineup.:cool:

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad