Training Camp 2018

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Remember earlier this off-season that Petan's agent cast doubt on his long term future with the Jets. I think Chevy was equivocal, too. I think that if Dano, KV and Lemieux show very well in preseason, Petan might be on the move in a trade.
I've thought of this as well. But not sure if Petan has much value to other teams? Can't see us recovering the equivalent of his original draft position, but that sure would be nice. That being said there is only one starting spot and 1 or 2 PB spots up for grabs so if he is the odd man out we may see him moved in one of the late camp trades that teams make as they trim down rosters.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I've thought of this as well. But not sure if Petan has much value to other teams? Can't see us recovering the equivalent of his original draft position, but that sure would be nice. That being said there is only one starting spot and 1 or 2 PB spots up for grabs so if he is the odd man out we may see him moved in one of the late camp trades that teams make as they trim down rosters.

Someone’s going to get a good deal on him.
He would be starting on several other lesser teams.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Remember earlier this off-season that Petan's agent cast doubt on his long term future with the Jets. I think Chevy was equivocal, too. I think that if Dano, KV and Lemieux show very well in preseason, Petan might be on the move in a trade.

IF KV wins the spot, then we'll likely have to make a trade unless we decide to send Poolman down. The lineup is looking pretty set as:

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
KV Roslovic Perreault
Copp Lowry Tanev
Petan Dano

Morrissey Trouba
Morrow Buff
Kulikov Myers
Chiarot

That way we don't lose anyone to waivers. If we did decide to move Petan/Dano to keep Poolman up with Myers on the left side I was wondering if Petan could/would return someone like Roland McKeown or Adam Fox from the Canes. They could actually use a player like Petan, especially if they see him as a Center and their RHD is deep with Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk and TVR on the big club with McKeown and Fox in the prospect pool. Fox can go UFA so we could make a pitch for him regardless but McKeown is only waiver exempt one more year and all of Carolina's RHD are signed for at least 2 more seasons. If we're moving a guy out I'd love to get a RHD prospect back like him.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Apparently Pomo said Sami Niku is on the radar for a call-up to the Jets....All but guaranteed at this point he's on the moose unless he does something incredible. I guess it's better to have him play top minutes in the A... Just hoping he's not the defensive version of Nic Petan.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
They were talking in the paper this week, or maybe it was last week, that they're likely going with a 22-man roster, one short. So only one extra forward and one extra D. The article said something about them hating running practices with 8 D because it's not smooth and it has too much standing around. And they were thinking of only carrying one extra forward for salary cap reasons. Makes sense with the Moose being right there for quick and easy call-ups and every penny counts towards cap space at the deadline, if I understand that part correctly.

For that reason, I'm guessing we'll see Lemieux, Vesalainen and Poolman all sent down due to waiver exemption and Petan and Dano kept as the 12th and 13th forwards with Chiarot and Morrow as the 6th and 7th D. Of course this changes if any of the waiver exempt players prove they belong in the lineup which would force a trade or a waiver risk. Vesalainen looked good on the Roslovic line in the one game, but Petan could look good there too, if given the chance.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They were talking in the paper this week, or maybe it was last week, that they're likely going with a 22-man roster, one short. So only one extra forward and one extra D. The article said something about them hating running practices with 8 D because it's not smooth and it has too much standing around. And they were thinking of only carrying one extra forward for salary cap reasons. Makes sense with the Moose being right there for quick and easy call-ups and every penny counts towards cap space at the deadline, if I understand that part correctly.

For that reason, I'm guessing we'll see Lemieux, Vesalainen and Poolman all sent down due to waiver exemption and Petan and Dano kept as the 12th and 13th forwards with Chiarot and Morrow as the 6th and 7th D. Of course this changes if any of the waiver exempt players prove they belong in the lineup which would force a trade or a waiver risk. Vesalainen looked good on the Roslovic line in the one game, but Petan could look good there too, if given the chance.
I'm not sure they need to go with a 22-man roster now that Morrissey has signed a bridge deal. They have more cap flexibility now.

Reactions: GNP and Oilpeg

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not sure they need to go with a 22-man roster now that Morrissey has signed a bridge deal. They have more cap flexibility now.
Not sure it was about need but more about preference. That's how I took it anyway. And really, why not? If you can save a few bucks at the deadline, then it could be used towards a slightly better player as a rental. Not advocating getting a rental, I just like the flexibility it can create.

Yes, I realize the savings are small, but they add up over the season.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
J.C. Lipon shoul play tonight. He has played well against Edmonton in pre season b4.

He is 25 now and will likely be a Ufa next summer as has only played 10 or so NHL games in his career.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Everything they've said about Petan in the last couple of years has been kind of half-hearted, IMO. I remember early on, maybe at Petan's first camp, Maurice saying Petan will play center in the NHL. I thought even then that what BSer Maurice really meant was "play center . . . for another team."

Still, anything could happen. Borrowing this from the Vesalainen thread:

I know of teams that want Petan.
Trade means having the right price for both teams willing to get.
Also, I think Chevy wants to keep the young cheap players as Armia isn’t going to be the only Cap fatality.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Everything they've said about Petan in the last couple of years has been kind of half-hearted, IMO. I remember early on, maybe at Petan's first camp, Maurice saying Petan will play center in the NHL. I thought even then that what BSer Maurice really meant was "play center . . . for another team."

Still, anything could happen. Borrowing this from the Vesalainen thread:
Well, the Jets' situation has changed substantially over the past few years... Acquired Dano and Lemieux, signed Tanev, drafted Connor, Roslovic and Vesalainen. That's pushed Petan down the depth chart, and created huge competition for him. Having Copp and Roslovic showing that they can play at C has further complicated his pathway to a roster spot with the Jets.

I think his future will be elsewhere, mainly because the Jets have a bunch of good young forwards that offer elements that they don't have, and have developed into NHL-level talents.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well, the Jets' situation has changed substantially over the past few years... Acquired Dano and Lemieux, signed Tanev, drafted Connor, Roslovic and Vesalainen. That's pushed Petan down the depth chart, and created huge competition for him. Having Copp and Roslovic showing that they can play at C has further complicated his pathway to a roster spot with the Jets.

I think his future will be elsewhere, mainly because the Jets have a bunch of good young forwards that offer elements that they don't have, and have developed into NHL-level talents.

So how do we get value for these types of players that we may start losing for nothing?

We could trade away and older established player and get some really nice young pieces back and keep our team competitive for years. Or, we can go for it all now and shorten our window substantially.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So how do we get value for these types of players that we may start losing for nothing?

We could trade away and older established player and get some really nice young pieces back and keep our team competitive for years. Or, we can go for it all now and shorten our window substantially.
I think that's the balancing act that Chevy is facing. I think he'll keep the best line-up he can afford, which this season includes Perreault. Next season, he might not be able to afford Perreault, along with all his other more core players (like Connor, Laine, etc.), so he'll need to fill in with his younger players. If he sees a future role for Petan and Dano, then you could see him make moves to hang onto him, which would include sending Vesalainen and Lemieux down. If not, and he sees KVes and Lemieux as giving as much to the roster as Petan and/or Dano, I think he'll keep them in the line-up and trade Petan and/or Dano.

It's very early in pre-season, but if I had to handicap things I would say that I think KVes might have the inside track over Petan, and I think Dano might, too.

Petan might be the type of player they could include in a deadline deal for a key rental, if they have a need going down the stretch.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IF KV wins the spot, then we'll likely have to make a trade unless we decide to send Poolman down. The lineup is looking pretty set as:

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
KV Roslovic Perreault
Copp Lowry Tanev
Petan Dano

Morrissey Trouba
Morrow Buff
Kulikov Myers
Chiarot

That way we don't lose anyone to waivers. If we did decide to move Petan/Dano to keep Poolman up with Myers on the left side I was wondering if Petan could/would return someone like Roland McKeown or Adam Fox from the Canes. They could actually use a player like Petan, especially if they see him as a Center and their RHD is deep with Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk and TVR on the big club with McKeown and Fox in the prospect pool. Fox can go UFA so we could make a pitch for him regardless but McKeown is only waiver exempt one more year and all of Carolina's RHD are signed for at least 2 more seasons. If we're moving a guy out I'd love to get a RHD prospect back like him.

McKeown, maybe. Couldn't touch Fox.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Problem is there is not a whole lot of value left in players that are on the verge of being lost for nothing. Kerdiles was an early 2nd round pick that had an outstanding draft +2 season in the NCAA with a 1.36 PPG average. Everyone thought he was a sure thing. Then he fails to adapt to the NHL in and around a few serious injuries, than at a year older than Petan he gets traded for Chase De Leo. Every team has these type of on the fringe players with impressive junior/NCAA numbers and they hold little value to other teams if they haven't become regular NHLers as they enter their mid 20's. Maybe 1 in 100 get new lease on life with a new organization like a Martin St. Louis, but most continue the spiral down and eak out livings in lower leagues.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Apparently Pomo said Sami Niku is on the radar for a call-up to the Jets....All but guaranteed at this point he's on the moose unless he does something incredible. I guess it's better to have him play top minutes in the A... Just hoping he's not the defensive version of Nic Petan.
If Niku ends up like Petan over the next three seasons I will be extremely disappointed. He has all the tools, just needs to learn the defensive end better.

Petan has to learn what role he needs to bring on a consistent bases to be and NHL player.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

If I was going to trade him it would be for a penalty killing forward. I see Granlund out of Vancouver as a good return. Petan gets to play minutes in his hometown, with his former coach, who turned Leipsic into a positive role player last year. Granlund can play anywhere on a 4th line, and kill penalties well. Makes Copp more versatile as well. I can't see Petan winning more ice time with the players ahead of him and competing with him all having offensive talent. Would be nice to develop a bit of rivalry between the Granlund brothers, and bring another Finn to Finland this year.

Reactions: boydkc

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If I was going to trade him it would be for a penalty killing forward. I see Granlund out of Vancouver as a good return. Petan gets to play minutes in his hometown, with his former coach, who turned Leipsic into a positive role player last year. Granlund can play anywhere on a 4th line, and kill penalties well. Makes Copp more versatile as well. I can't see Petan winning more ice time with the players ahead of him and competing with him all having offensive talent. Would be nice to develop a bit of rivalry between the Granlund brothers, and bring another Finn to Finland this year.
Interesting thought. I'd be curious to see what Vancouver fans thoughts on this proposal, but I rarely post on the main boards. Just too much of a pissing contest and no one seems to actually want to discuss anything no matter what is suggested.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Does anybody have a clue on Petan reason?

Did he ask for a trade.

The main players im watching is Josh and Jacob pairing.

We need this 2 to even go up a notch, it will make the team run to the cup much better.

Out of the top 4 gunning to win the cup this year. Lools like the Jets have the weakest top pairing, we are better overall top 6 though.

So #44 and #8 got to step up including actually producing more points.
40 each at least for both.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The 3 teams for sure i want the Jets to beat in their 1st 3 games. Statement games...

Blues
Preds
Leafs

The rest with Jets A game they should beat those teams

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Does anybody have a clue on Petan reason?

Did he ask for a trade.

The main players im watching is Josh and Jacob pairing.

We need this 2 to even go up a notch, it will make the team run to the cup much better.

Out of the top 4 gunning to win the cup this year. Lools like the Jets have the weakest top pairing, we are better overall top 6 though.

So #44 and #8 got to step up including actually producing more points.
40 each at least for both.

His father passed away.

Trouba and Morrissey won't produce more without PP ice time. Both scored over an average rate per minute at even strength for a top pairing. What they scored last year is how it looks like when you have someone who scores competently without PP TOI.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
His father passed away.

Trouba and Morrissey won't produce more without PP ice time. Both scored over an average rate per minute at even strength for a top pairing. What they scored last year is how it looks like when you have someone who scores competently without PP TOI.

That's too bad for Petan.

Good to hear.
But that means they are not Elite scorers, who will score 60 points in there prime years? Correct?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His father passed away.

I'd say that Morrissey is a better candidate for more PP time than Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad