Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This makes too much sense. Nash connection, Swedish, Sather reclamation project after his injury. Bringing him to camp would be a smart move.

yea it does make sense but Huselius may make more money in Europe.

Were the Rangers not tied to Winchester in Free Agency? As a dirt cheap spare it cant hurt to take a look

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Hank is the least of my worries.

Lack of on-ice chemistry is one of my bigger concerns. The Rangers usually have offensive chemistry issues as it is, and with such a short training camp, it gives the players even less time to get acclimated to one another.

It wouldn't surprise me if took some time for Nash to adjust to playing in NY, similar to Richards last season. On that note, I think Richards is poised to do much better in his second year as a Ranger... He already looks much more comfortable so far, taking charge of practice and whatnot.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Out of curiosity, is Redden there? Since it is my understanding that compliance buyouts don't occur till the summer, this is his best shot to make the team in the last few years (since his cap hit no longer matters). I don' t think he's good enough (and I definitely haven't watched him play), but I am still curious.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Out of curiosity, is Redden there? Since it is my understanding that compliance buyouts don't occur till the summer, this is his best shot to make the team in the last few years (since his cap hit no longer matters). I don' t think he's good enough (and I definitely haven't watched him play), but I am still curious.

He's not there. And since you can't buy out injured players, the Rangers will most likely pay him 5 million or whatever he's owed this year, to sit home on the couch.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Anyone have any guesses as to who may be brought in to camp on a tryout? My guesses:

Jesse Winchester
Kristian Huselius
Radek Dvorak
Mike Commodore

I'm not sure if they will have any/many tryouts this year. The season will likely start in 10-12 days. No exhibition time - so no in-game look. I'm not sure the staff will want to be devoting time to players not likely to make it.

I'd like to give Radek Dvorak a look as a 4th liner/depth guy. I always liked him as a Ranger, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank at this point.

I'd give Huselius a look... he's played some games in Sweden if I'm not mistaken and he has that Nash connection.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Is there some sort of waiver Redden could sign to allow the Rangers to buy him out if he gets injured?

Probably not... I'd imagine that's a union issue.

It could be great for both parties though... maybe give Redden a look later in the season and see if he can help out on the 3rd pairing when his cap effect won't hurt as much. It would also give him a chance to show teams that he still has something left in the tank.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not sure if they will have any/many tryouts this year. The season will likely start in 10-12 days. No exhibition time - so no in-game look. I'm not sure the staff will want to be devoting time to players not likely to make it.

I'd like to give Radek Dvorak a look as a 4th liner/depth guy. I always liked him as a Ranger, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank at this point.

I'd give Huselius a look... he's played some games in Sweden if I'm not mistaken and he has that Nash connection.

I think they all would make some sense. Depth players are always good to have around.

Huselius if he is healthy would be a solid pick-up as a 3rd liner.

Winchester would be good insurance as another 4th line center who can win face-offs.

Commodore could be a solid depth d-man. IMO He would make more sense than Gilroy.

Dvorak is probably the safest bet. He can play 3rd/4th line and bring a lot of speed and another very good PKer.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Wouldn't mind Huselius. Nifty passer and pretty solid in the shootout. He's fragile as fudge though, just like Hemsky.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think they all would make some sense. Depth players are always good to have around.

Huselius if he is healthy would be a solid pick-up as a 3rd liner.

Winchester would be good insurance as another 4th line center who can win face-offs.

Commodore could be a solid depth d-man. IMO He would make more sense than Gilroy.

Dvorak is probably the safest bet. He can play 3rd/4th line and bring a lot of speed and another very good PKer.

Off topic, but... Gilroy is a complete waste. I think half of this board would make more sense than Gilroy. Terrible defensively, and not great offensively. His one asset is his speed. Not to mention he has no physical game and can't take a hit at all. Naturally he signed to a team who is in the most physical division in hockey... I'd definitely like another vet d-man whether that's Commodore or someone else.

I'll sign Dvorak up right now to a 1 year deal... Speed and PK are great assets for a depth player.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
huselius had chemistry with nash in clb...but he's always hurt and i think torts would murder him before camp was over LOL

Punxrocknyc19*

huselius had chemistry with nash in clb...but he's always hurt and i think torts would murder him before camp was over LOL

if he got yelled at for being hurt that would be sad and funny.. didnt Huselius play for Hitch in the Columbus?? he is a solid two way player with skill. i wouldnt mind him for a year or two at most... productive when he is healthy..

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
if he got yelled at for being hurt that would be sad and funny.. didnt Huselius play for Hitch in the Columbus?? he is a solid two way player with skill. i wouldnt mind him for a year or two at most... productive when he is healthy..

i was thinking more in terms of being soft...he was hurt last year, year before he had 4 hits, 4 blocked shots in 39 games. torts will look at that and say "that better be your per shift average' lol

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
So how is this going to work, are the Rangers going to pull any Whale players from the AHL to participate in training camp?

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
So, not even ONE preseason game against a close proximity opponent (NYI, NJD, PHI etc)??? Surely one game would do more good than harm.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
The Boys are back in town!! Such a great feeling these past 2 days. Honestly being back is 1000000 times more better than I expected. Now life feels normal for me.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I would love to have Kristian Huselius for the third line. I always liked him.

He did have 63 points 2 seasons ago..

I would take a flyer on him for a year since we have the 70 mill upper limit. Wonder if there will be a veteran camp invite as we usually have one or 2 a year but who knows with a shortened season.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I'll take Huselius on a cheap Fedotenko-like deal. Sign him to a tryout and if he impresses sign him for the season. We're not as deep as I'm comfortable on the bottom 6 and Huselius could chip in 10-12 goals and provide some depth in case someone goes down with a groin injury.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So how is this going to work, are the Rangers going to pull any Whale players from the AHL to participate in training camp?

i think it'll be kept to a minimum and guys that have a legit shot at making the team. won't be a normal camp.

too bad camp didn't open this week...no whale games mon-fri, would have been a perfect week to bring them into ny and then back before the weekends games.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Huselius would be a very solid addition to our bottom-six. I would not mind him on the squad with Asham as a spare.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not much risk if you could get him in on a tryout...

but anyone know why huselius only played 5 games in the KHL during the lockout? (assuming hockeydb is updated). 2g, 3p in 5 games looks good but given his injury history only playing 5 games makes me wonder

92hatchattack

Dec 23, 2005
Jersey
Waiting to hear some news from practices now seems even more agonizing than waiting for the lockout to be over... just give me something... anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad