Music: Tragically Hip Farewell Concert Discussion | Stream

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Ha! That reminds me of the episode of Larry Sanders where Larry wants him to play werewolves, but he asks the producer if he can anything but that song. He agrees, then Larry says they have time for one more song, and asks a Warren to do werewolves. The look on his face is priceless.
I gotta see if I can find that on Kodi. :laugh:

Damn. Garry Shandling is gone too.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It will be interesting to see the ratings on the concert. My twitter and Facebook feeds were basically solidly Hip or Olympics. Even people I didn't think would be interested in the concert were watching. It should be pretty impressive numbers.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I love Sloan. But they are not even remotely close to the Hip. Literally almost every song on their first 4 or 5 albums is iconic. The Hip could play for 6 hours and not have fans not know every word to every song. If you have too many hits to play in a 3 hour concert... You are on a different level.

And again I love Sloan. Heck even Rush or Neil Young or Bryan Adams with a zillion records sold around the world as Canadians... Are still not bigger in Canada then the Tragically Hip is. No one in Canada is bigger then the Hip.

I'm not saying they're bigger, because clearly they're not... true, I am saying they're better, but that's a subjective point. And I personally think every song on their first 4-5 albums is iconic too, in an AC/DC sort of way, but that's subjective too. Stylistically though, there should be no argument, Sloan is the Beatles and The Hip are the Stones.

Ha! That reminds me of the episode of Larry Sanders where Larry wants him to play werewolves, but he asks the producer if he can anything but that song. He agrees, then Larry says they have time for one more song, and asks a Warren to do werewolves. The look on his face is priceless.

Bahaha, that sounds awesome. I've downloaded the whole series and am looking forward to watching it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It will be interesting to see the ratings on the concert. My twitter and Facebook feeds were basically solidly Hip or Olympics. Even people I didn't think would be interested in the concert were watching. It should be pretty impressive numbers.

I was wondering that myself. This might be one of the most watched events in Canadian TV history. It might be up there with stanley cup and grey cup finals. Or maybe not.... but it sure felt like everyone I knew was watching it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Before the show, I explained to my six year old what the situation was and the significance of this show. Near the end she asked me, "if he has brain cancer, how is he able to sing like that?" I was barely able to keep it together to answer her.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Before the show, I explained to my six year old what the situation was and the significance of this show. Near the end she asked me, "if he has brain cancer, how is he able to sing like that?" I was barely able to keep it together to answer her.
Combination of willpower and the human spirit I suppose. I wouldn't have been able to hold it together if I were in your shoes.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
WTF, I was looking up Gord Downie on wikipedia just now, and I learned he shares a birthday with my mom! not just the day, the year too! I know it's just one of life's silly coincidences, but finding this out just now is a little surreal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
WTF, I was looking up Gord Downie on wikipedia just now, and I learned he shares a birthday with my mom! not just the day, the year too! I know it's just one of life's silly coincidences, but finding this out just now is a little surreal.

Considering how close to Gord I am in age, I now feel very, very old.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm not saying they're bigger, because clearly they're not... true, I am saying they're better, but that's a subjective point. And I personally think every song on their first 4-5 albums is iconic too, in an AC/DC sort of way, but that's subjective too. Stylistically though, there should be no argument, Sloan is the Beatles and The Hip are the Stones.

Bahaha, that sounds awesome. I've downloaded the whole series and am looking forward to watching it.

To me... Most Sloan songs sound similar... But great... Like the Stones. The Hip is all over the creativeness board and are always great. Like the Beatles.

I mean obviously to each their own. And I am not trying to put down Sloan. But I stand by The Hip being the Canadian Beatles. Gord is right up there with Lennon and McCartney as a performer, singer and lyricist. He can make incomprehensibe lyrics make sense like the best of the Beatles... Make pop music, make deep lyrics where they are very comprehensible.

Anyway. Not trying to disagree with you. Just saying where I think the Hip rate in Canada. In Canada the Hip are the greatest band of all-time. With Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd and U2 and The Stones and The Who and The Beatles. That is just how highly they are thought of in Canada. They are the greatest of the greatest... Even if they are not known in other countries.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Stolen from Reddit, set list:

01. Fifty-Mission Cap
02. Courage
03. Wheat Kings
04. At the Hundredth Meridian
05. In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
06. What Blue
07. Tired as ****
08. Machine
** Intermission **
09. My Music at Work
10. Lake Fever
11. Toronto #4
12. Putting Down
13. Twist My Arm
14. 3 Pistols
15. Fiddler's Green
16. Little Bones
17. The Last of the Unplucked Gems
18. Something On
19. Poets
20. Bobcaygeon
21. Fireworks
** Gord Downie Monologue **

ENCORE
22. New Orleans is Sinking
23. Boots or Hearts
24. Blow at High Dough

SECOND ENCORE
25. Nautical Disaster
26. Scared
27. Grace Too

THIRD ENCORE
28. Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
29. Gift Shop
30. Ahead by a Century

CBC CREDITS - Long Time Running

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For Hip were a poor man's REM. But that is just me

I thought REM, The Hip and 54:40 were all the same band, when I was like 17, before I had really listened to all three.

Personally, if The Hip and 54:40 were American and REM was canadian, their respective levels of success and notoreity would also be reversed, but that's just conjecture, I know.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I mentioned in the other Hip thread, that it was unfortunate they never really took hold of the US listeners in the same way Nickelback somehow did. :help:

Ask any Canadian which band they'd prefer, though, and you'd probably get a unanimous decision today.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I already owned Downie's solo debut, Coke Machine Glow, since like 2003, but I didn't realize what I was missing with the other three albums. I ran around regina picking them up today and I've been listening to them all ever since, aside from when the concert was on, of course.

Well worth it, in case anyone's wondering. Often lyrically weirder and deeper than the hip, while not giving up much musically.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I mentioned in the other Hip thread, that it was unfortunate they never really took hold of the US listeners in the same way Nickelback somehow did. :help:

Or the BNL... but they at least deserved it.

Ask any Canadian which band they'd prefer, though, and you'd probably get a unanimous decision today.

Well yes, of course. It's weird, Nickelback is so popular, yet, everyone apparently hates them. Who actually likes them?

(I admit, I liked their early stuff a lot, even right up to 2003!)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Ya that makes no sense. The Hip are much better.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
they really are not known anywhere else, eh? Nine #1 albums in Canada. Peaked at #129 in the USA. Let that sink in a bit.

In some US cities they are huge acts and have a cult following for decades. Like in Canada. In most cities they are unknown.

Still big enough that after the flood of New Orleans.. US radio banned the song New Orleans is sinking for a few months.

I remember the huge Saturday Night Live show. And how great they were. But that didn't really set off US careers.

In the end they were all about Canada. They still toured Europe and the US though. Live... They had a big reputation and a large following in many places... Just not large gross record sales.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I thought REM, The Hip and 54:40 were all the same band, when I was like 17, before I had really listened to all three.

Personally, if The Hip and 54:40 were American and REM was canadian, their respective levels of success and notoreity would also be reversed, but that's just conjecture, I know.

I like all 3 bands. I really think the depth of songs really, really favours the Hip in this comparision. So many more great full albums and songs from the Hip then the other 2.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great concert. It felt like there were a lot of people across the country coming together to share the same experience.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
People may not like The Hip, but they sure as hell know who they are.

Canadian legends.

The Hip may be over, but their music lives forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad