Music: Tragically Hip Farewell Concert Discussion | Stream

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I keep asking myself how are they doing this? Being a musician I get that you want to keep doing what you love best for as long as possible, but given the circumstances, just wow.

I can't find the words to say how much I love this band. So many mixed emotions right now... Happy to be seing all this, but so sad that it's the end.
It's a remarkable set of circumstances.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Thank you, Gord and The Tragically Hip. Words cannot describe how much courage it must have taken to do this final tour given the circumstances. It's sad to see it all come to an end, but at least it got to end this way. What a great show to cap everything off.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I have this strange feeling about enjoying the concert but there's this underscore of emptiness. And I'm wondering what's next. Well, nothing is next I guess.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Anyone blast their speakers for that one? Feel my ears still ringing just like I was at a concert. Was amazing. Great band, great legacy. Whenever I hear Gord's voice, it makes me proud to be Canadian every time.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
In a strange way the end is now the beginning of me listening to them, I imagine I'm not alone across this country.
and excellent job by CBC to have that for an entire nation. What the taxes are for to promote our cultural arts. Something to see.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
...and three hours later, after the concert is done, they still haven't cut to a commercial. The CBC did good tonight.

Can't claim to be the biggest Hip fan, but it was cool how the country came together over this one event.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Anyone blast their speakers for that one? Feel my ears still ringing just like I was at a concert. Was amazing. Great band, great legacy. Whenever I hear Gord's voice, it makes me proud to be Canadian every time.
Yep. Had it cranked on my 5.1 surround. Bass guitar could have been prominent in the mix though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I keep asking myself how are they doing this? Being a musician I get that you want to keep doing what you love best for as long as possible, but given the circumstances, just wow.

I can't find the words to say how much I love this band. So many mixed emotions right now... Happy to be seing all this, but so sad that it's the end.

It's a remarkable set of circumstances.

Who ever gets to go out like this? What person, what band? It's really something.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have this strange feeling about enjoying the concert but there's this underscore of emptiness. And I'm wondering what's next. Well, nothing is next I guess.

Apparently Gord has a solo project coming out shortly. Then.... I imagine that's it.

(plus I'm betting this concert comes out on double CD posthumously)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
...and three hours later, after the concert is done, they still haven't cut to a commercial. The CBC did good tonight.

Can't claim to be the biggest Hip fan, but it was cool how the country came together over this one event.

I'm like you, not the biggest fan, but man, I was not going to miss this. What a night. What a show. Thank you Gord and thank you to the Tragically Hip.

Grace Too
Ahead By A Century
Blow At High Dough
Poets
Music At Work
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car

Those were the highlights of the night for me.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Their legacy is truly that of the Canadian Beatles. That is how big and how great and how iconic The Hip are in Canada.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Something I'm just now realizing is that for once one of my favorite bands (or artist) is getting a proper farewell. That is a really nice thing to see. The Hip and Gord deserved it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I have no intention to derail this thread, but I think Sloan are the canadian beatles. The Hip are more like the Canadian Stones.

I love Sloan. But they are not even remotely close to the Hip. Literally almost every song on their first 4 or 5 albums is iconic. The Hip could play for 6 hours and not have fans not know every word to every song. If you have too many hits to play in a 3 hour concert... You are on a different level.

And again I love Sloan. Heck even Rush or Neil Young or Bryan Adams with a zillion records sold around the world as Canadians... Are still not bigger in Canada then the Tragically Hip is. No one in Canada is bigger then the Hip.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Zevon is in my top 3 of favourite musicians/songwriters. Except for Werewolves of London. God I hate that song. He wrote stuff that was so much better but to casual fans that's the song he's best known for.

Ha! That reminds me of the episode of Larry Sanders where Larry wants him to play werewolves, but he asks the producer if he can anything but that song. He agrees, then Larry says they have time for one more song, and asks a Warren to do werewolves. The look on his face is priceless.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00