Salary Cap: Trading Marner a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That is part of the argument as to why I would trade Matthews before Marner, not to mention the fact I think Matthews will be injury plagued most of his career. Takes a lot of abuse doing what he does unfortunately.

I wouldnt say top tier defensive abilities quite yet but certainly well above average and improving. Dont get me wrong, I think Matthews is unbelievable but I get the feeling he will want to test UFA at some point.

Well, I'd disagree on the first part for sure. I don't personally see any reason to assume a player will be injury-plagued. They were two fluke injuries from really awkward hits. These things just happen. I don't think much of predicting injury going forward, especially not when talking about a 21 year old. And the whole, does he wanna be here thing, just isn't a concern to me. Franchise players don't generally leave winning situations. It's rarely ever happened in the modern NHL. And I don't even know that Arizona factor can be considered in this situation as I'll be shocked if the Coyotes aren't somewhere else, like Houston, in 5 years time.

As for top tier defensive abilities. I'm mainly talking about his ceiling there. He is most definitely trending in that direction, but I agree he's still learning and gaining experience.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Well trade deadline passed so not anytime soon. Okay but seriously that point aside. When trades are legal yes it's possible to trade any player you have contract control over. Marner being a RFA is someone we could look at trading. Our GM at this point has not done anything trade wise that we even talked about on these posts. It's a low chance that it happens and if it does we will have great players in return. Or 4 first round picks kinda neat but also not likely. As they won't be able to trade futures to make there team better they will probably go the way of the oliers and we will get some fantastic players from that as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What if I told you guys that you can keep both Marner and Matthews. Stop pitting them against each other.

I agree. These are the two most important players to our franchise. The idea that we're letting either go, let alone actively choosing to trade them is silly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas basically said yesterday that we are doing a core and junk team. All the money is going into the core so he wont be traded. The guys we develop will support for a time and be traded.

He basically said we are investing in the core, as we should. He is not saving pennies in doing so and that means cheap supporting cast.

Its a piss poor attitude btw. You should save every penny you can.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Well, I'd disagree on the first part for sure. I don't personally see any reason to assume a player will be injury-plagued. They were two fluke injuries from really awkward hits. These things just happen. I don't think much of predicting injury going forward, especially not when talking about a 21 year old. And the whole, does he wanna be here thing, just isn't a concern to me. Franchise players don't generally leave winning situations. It's rarely ever happened in the modern NHL. And I don't even know that Arizona factor can be considered in this situation as I'll be shocked if the Coyotes aren't somewhere else, like Houston, in 5 years time.

As for top tier defensive abilities. I'm mainly talking about his ceiling there. He is most definitely trending in that direction, but I agree he's still learning and gaining experience.
Evidently Matthews has a bit of a bad back which is often a chronic injury (I can tell you that 1st hand lol).

Not worried about Arizona, they are likely not a franchise by the time Matthews current contract is up as you said. I just feel like Matthews will want to test UFA while still in his prime. Obviously wouldn't move to a shit team but similar to how SJ offered JT more money than anyone and was a very competitive team I could see Matthews gets lured away by something like that if the leafs havent won anything.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well the Leafs could have had Glass and the Brannstom and solved all their cap issues.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even if the Leafs wanted to trade him who would be a good trading partner? I don’t you’ll find a better player, for the Leafs, than him.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Where has this narrative come from where ufa contracts are comparables to rfa contracts? What the hell?

When Marleau signed 18 mil over 3 seasons at the age of 37, did that trigger some chain reaction on how 21 year old rfa’s are paid?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Where has this narrative come from where ufa contracts are comparables to rfa contracts? What the hell?

When Marleau signed 18 mil over 3 seasons at the age of 37, did that trigger some chain reaction on how 21 year old rfa’s are paid?

Nope, players just got smart.

They realized that since teams are no longer willing to give out long term contracts to older players based on their past performance, they would have to start earning more at the beginning of their careers to get that money back. Players getting paid in terms of the impact they are currently having on their team's success...what a novel idea.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Anything is possible, but I suspect we would rather gut the farm to offload Zaitsev if it means keeping our core together.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs will re-sign Marner guaranteed. It is only a question of money. The real issue is how bad will our CAP hit be next season. I think it will be quite bad. Hopefully we can retire Marleau and trade his CAP hit to a team needing to hit the floor. and trade Z for anything. That way we have a little flexibility next season to make a Cup push.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nope, players just got smart.

They realized that since teams are no longer willing to give out long term contracts to older players based on their past performance, they would have to start earning more at the beginning of their careers to get that money back. Players getting paid in terms of the impact they are currently having on their team's success...what a novel idea.
But the cba is designed to SPECIFICALLY give the gm far far more leverage on their rfa’s. Gm’s just aren’t following the cba any longer?

There hasn’t been a SINGLE offer sheet signed since 2013. The landscape hasn’t changed. Dubas seems to be the only gm dramatically overpaying his rfa’s (especially once term is considered).

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy, Frederik Gauthier, Phillipe Paradis and 30 year old Panarin vs 24 year old Marner?

I take Marner
I take Marner over 4 1sts always.

However don't think the bolded is a legit argument for that because it could've also been Tuukka Rask, William Nylander, Timothy Liljegren, Rasmus Sandin and Artemi Panarin vs Mitch Marner.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Anything is possible, but I suspect we would rather gut the farm to offload Zaitsev if it means keeping our core together.
Can’t really gut the farm tho since we need those cheap bodies to surround our expensive core. That would just postpone have to lose someone big. I agree tho, they won’t trade Marner, there are other options.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Pretty sure Panarin will be signed on the first eligible day this summer so it isnt that cut and dry. Panarin could sign with someone else and then the leafs get offersheeted for Marner.
Ok but if it is a better deal for the Leafs it's a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad