Salary Cap: Trading Marner a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It was all hypothetical. Pretty sure if Dubas knows Marner won’t sign, he will be dealt to a team this is willing to sign him to his desire amount on draft day for a package that is similar to 4 1st
If we do it at the draft, we don't know if we have either Karlsson or Panarin lined up, and we also don't know at what cost, because we can't have meetings with them until post-draft. The timeline is too tight to think these are likely options.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You noticed this too?
Hymans goal was odd. Score the go ahead goal with under 2min left in a game you were losing 3-0..... Hyman is pumped up like crazy, and Marner was like Meh........
Ive noticed he hasn't been smiling, laughing or joking around like normal. He looks so freaking serious.

Yup Marner seems mr. serious all of a sudden; seems like he isn't enjoying it just an observation

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy, Frederik Gauthier, Phillipe Paradis and 30 year old Panarin vs 24 year old Marner?

I take Marner
All of the leafs picks were bad at the time and everyone knew including the Paradis pick by the Canes who was rated to go in the 3rd round. The picks could just as well be 4 of Pastrnak, Chabot, Barzal, Connor, McAvoy, etc. But that being said you only do that if Ottawa is giving away those picks:laugh:

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
We are in a salary cap era, the years where we didn't take advantage was prior. Now it is about staying under the cap while icing the best team. I would take 4 1st's from a team and use the $$$ elsewhere if the other option was we had to get rid of players like Johnsson, Kapanen, Reilly, Kadri, Andersen and Nylander!!! If it meant replacing all of those with sub-players I personally am not for it. All those players mentioned with exception of Andersen\Kapanen are home grown talent that can be re-signed or kept at a decent cap hit. So although we are getting rid of one home grown superstar talent in Marner, I would rather keep the others as part of the core while adding to it both currently and in the future with money saved.

The 4 1sts can be parlayed into other developed young players that can be added to the core at a more reasonable cost both on D and at forward.

The whole point of this is to sustain relevance in the NHL for a long period of time. I do not want to become the Chicago Blackhawks where we lock ourselves into a core that basically disintegrates down the line. Keep filling the pipeline of prospects while remaining relevant. Trading Marner allows that if his demands get out of hand.

You don’t want to win 3 cups? I’m done with this thread.

Habz4Evr

Gotta Luv The Habs
Jun 8, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
That's an entirely different argument to me. The only way that happens imo is if Matthews decides he doesn't want to play here, which is not something I'm personally worried about.

Sometimes I think people don't recognize just how rare a player like Auston Matthews actually is.

Big, strong, elite level goalscoring center who also has top tier defensive abilities.

Matthews has top tier defensive abilities? Thanks for the chuckle. If the Leafs keep Matthews and trade Marner, that deal will rank right up there with the John Kordick / Russ Courtnall deal. With Dubas as Leaf GM, I can see it happening.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
What kind of return can you get that won't destroy our team? Maybe if you allow a team to offer sheet him, take the 4 1st round picks and sign panarin ala free agency. Even then I wanna have Marner during his best years

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You've obviously never seen Stone skate.

We are talking about the winger who needs to hang around the other team's blueline to have a fraction of a chance to get a breakaway, right? Stone has never outsped a defenseman to the net in his life.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
wtf is going on is this place tonight lol

first we have a topic about how it's official: Bruins vs. Leafs in the playoffs....even though it's still only February

next up... we have a "trade marner" topic

oh and not to mention, the endless "babcock will be fired" threads......

some people have totally lost their marbles around here

what else can you do except just laugh at all this utter b.s..???

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago didn't trade Patrick Kane when they ran into a cap crunch. They got rid of everything else and still managed to win 2 more cups.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Everyone has been making such a big deal about the Leafs salary cap situation over the past couple of months since the Nylander signing. Everyone saying that it is Nylander that needs to be moved to accommodate the salary cap concerns.

My question is with what Stone signed for yesterday with Vegas, the Nylander contract actually isn't that bad considering production and age of the two comparabes. I am going to argue that the Leafs deal with Nylander looks better considering their skill sets.

With that said, if Stone is capable of setting a new bar for wingers at 9.5 million a season for what he brings. This means Marner will easily break 10 million a season.

Is Marner that important to the Leafs future? Can we deal Marner at his age, and skill set for a huge return? Maybe include other contracts (Brown and Zaitsev) in a deal that will not only open cap space but allow us to keep younger players (Kapanen and Johnsson) on team long term, and allow us to fix our defense and skill set on forward lines like we need to!!

What do you think we can get for Marner in a deal with teams? Just curious.

Is Marner that important to the Leafs future?

Have you been watching any Leafs games this year and the last couple of seasons?

Reactions: Tracer Bullet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad