Salary Cap: Trading Marner a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Everyone has been making such a big deal about the Leafs salary cap situation over the past couple of months since the Nylander signing. Everyone saying that it is Nylander that needs to be moved to accommodate the salary cap concerns.

My question is with what Stone signed for yesterday with Vegas, the Nylander contract actually isn't that bad considering production and age of the two comparabes. I am going to argue that the Leafs deal with Nylander looks better considering their skill sets.

With that said, if Stone is capable of setting a new bar for wingers at 9.5 million a season for what he brings. This means Marner will easily break 10 million a season.

Is Marner that important to the Leafs future? Can we deal Marner at his age, and skill set for a huge return? Maybe include other contracts (Brown and Zaitsev) in a deal that will not only open cap space but allow us to keep younger players (Kapanen and Johnsson) on team long term, and allow us to fix our defense and skill set on forward lines like we need to!!

What do you think we can get for Marner in a deal with teams? Just curious.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Everyone has been making such a big deal about the Leafs salary cap situation over the past couple of months since the Nylander signing. Everyone saying that it is Nylander that needs to be moved to accommodate the salary cap concerns.

My question is with what Stone signed for yesterday with Vegas, the Nylander contract actually isn't that bad considering production and age of the two comparabes. I am going to argue that the Leafs deal with Nylander looks better considering their skill sets.

With that said, if Stone is capable of setting a new bar for wingers at 9.5 million a season for what he brings. This means Marner will easily break 10 million a season.

Is Marner that important to the Leafs future? Can we deal Marner at his age, and skill set for a huge return? Maybe include other contracts (Brown and Zaitsev) in a deal that will not only open cap space but allow us to keep younger players (Kapanen and Johnsson) on team long term, and allow us to fix our defense and skill set on forward lines like we need to!!

Marner will be a career leaf. There is a 0% chance he is moved, Matthews gets moved before Marner (because of having an elite #1C in JT)

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge

Can we trade you as a fan?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It's a moot point because neither is happening, but no he absolutely does not.
There is no way of knowing because as you say neither will be traded. That being said I honestly could see a chance that Matthews is not a leaf after his current contract, Marner on the other hand will be here for the next 15 years.

Reactions: Mork

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
4 1sts and Panarin

vs.

Marner

You cant fall in love with your players if a better return is out there.
Pretty sure Panarin will be signed on the first eligible day this summer so it isnt that cut and dry. Panarin could sign with someone else and then the leafs get offersheeted for Marner.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I believe Leafs paid Matthews what they did because the feared a team might offersheet him with close to max money. The way I look at it is, Matthews > 4 1sts < Marner.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner is one of the most important pieces of this team moving forward. He plays in literally every key situation and many times can be the engine behind momentum shifts or making top end plays.

He'd be the least likely forward moved in the next few years right next to Matthews, Tavares and probably even Nylander. That's your main forward core that will not change for probably at least 5 years. 5 years is a lot of time though.

I have no idea what it would take to trade for Marner but I will confidently say that not a single team will reach the Leafs return desire to trade him any time soon.

I don't understand why Leaf fans are always trying to find ways to destroy their team, or think they need to trade a top end player just because he's going to make a lot of money. It's mind boggling. Stop. Please.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There is no way of knowing because as you say neither will be traded. That being said I honestly could see a chance that Matthews is not a leaf after his current contract, Marner on the other hand will be here for the next 15 years.

That's an entirely different argument to me. The only way that happens imo is if Matthews decides he doesn't want to play here, which is not something I'm personally worried about.

Sometimes I think people don't recognize just how rare a player like Auston Matthews actually is.

Big, strong, elite level goalscoring center who also has top tier defensive abilities.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Can we trade you as a fan?

Based on your pic I take it you are as big as a fan as I in Matthews. He is your future as a #1C. I only state the possibility of trading Marner or having him OS and walking away for the betterment of the team.

I would take 4 1st's from a team and go out and sign Skinner and Ferland in a heartbeat.

If you are a Leaf fan you would too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
When talking about dealing a player for a huge return, it seems logical that the player would be of great value to more than just the team that'd be acquiring him. If the intention is at all to create cap space, I'd first consider options a bit lower down the depth chart.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Based on your pic I take it you are as big as a fan as I in Matthews. He is your future as a #1C. I only state the possibility of trading Marner or having him OS and walking away for the betterment of the team.

I would take 4 1st's from a team and go out and sign Skinner and Ferland in a heartbeat.

If you are a Leaf fan you would too.

That's not a fair statement at all. To win cups you need the horses. Marner is one of ours. We aren't moving him to make room for Skinner and Ferland. 4 firsts or not.

I mean then what, 1 of those firsts becomes an elite player like Marner (if we're lucky) and we just trade him so we don't have to pay him too?

We're not Ottawa.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That's an entirely different argument to me. The only way that happens imo is if Matthews decides he doesn't want to play here, which is not something I'm personally worried about.

Sometimes I think people don't recognize just how rare a player like Auston Matthews actually is.

Big, strong, elite level goalscoring center who also has top tier defensive abilities.
That is part of the argument as to why I would trade Matthews before Marner, not to mention the fact I think Matthews will be injury plagued most of his career. Takes a lot of abuse doing what he does unfortunately.

I wouldnt say top tier defensive abilities quite yet but certainly well above average and improving. Dont get me wrong, I think Matthews is unbelievable but I get the feeling he will want to test UFA at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad