Player Discussion Trading Jay Beagle

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It seems Beagle is a pillar in the dressing room and exemplifies good habits to being a pro which is what the young core can model after. Beagle gets respect because he has won on every level, is extremely humble, and is purely focused on hockey. Everyone should listen to his feature on 31 thoughts podcast, it's no fluke that Canucks are battling hard in every game to the point they are competing for the playoffs while pure talent teams like Edmonton seem to be regressing their endless rebuild.
Canucks were battling hard last year as well. As for Edmonton, all their talent is upfront.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Beagle is basically un-tradeable. The contract number and term are far too high for a fourth-line checking center. I don't care how much of a character guy he is in the room or how many faceoffs he wins, there isn't a team out there that could take on that contract.

Just one of a number of guys on the Canucks where the they'd have to eat a ton of salary to ever make a deal happen unfortrnately.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I agree that he is probably untradeable at this point because of his contract terms but if there’s a possibility I would explore it.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Big no to trading Jay Beagle. With Jay Beagle, carpet, a radio and clothes hangers, our locker room is perfect for the kids... and it costs only $3,002,545 per year for this perfect locker room that helps create an environment conducive to success.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat and Ryp37

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It seems Beagle is a pillar in the dressing room and exemplifies good habits to being a pro which is what the young core can model after. Beagle gets respect because he has won on every level, is extremely humble, and is purely focused on hockey. Everyone should listen to his feature on 31 thoughts podcast, it's no fluke that Canucks are battling hard in every game to the point they are competing for the playoffs while pure talent teams like Edmonton seem to be regressing their endless rebuild.

Edmonton's issue is lack of talent not lavk of character. Just like the Canucks they only have 3 top 6 forwards, 2-3 useful defensemen and no depth.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Anaheim has had interest in Sutter.

Pittsburgh is looking for a defensive 3c and obviously there is familiarity there. Plus I think Rutherford likes him a lot.

I think we should just trade Sutter because he might have value if we take a short term cap dump.

What other dinosaur GMs are there? Tallon? Wilson? Holland? Chiarelli?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
And Sutter gets more points as well
And Beagle doesn't seem like a complete and total space case.

Beagle is a man on a mission and a smart one at that.

I can see why the Caps fan miss him because yeah... this guy is the real deal.

Sutter does not play like a player that is fully invested in the long term success of this team and that's probably a part of the reason why we all dislike him in way one or another. Same goes with Gud and his "tough guy" act. And Eriksson... I dunno what's going on with that guy.
Y81Gvhj.gif

Jay, on the other hand, plays with an edge every single shift and that's the reason why I'm a fan of his because that's what Burr and Kes did back in the day.

And does this affect the locker room? Possibly? It might make everyone more competitive because you don't want to be shown up by the new guy?

Jimbo finally got it right this time? Is Beagle actually a culture carrier?
WFKdN50.gif

So I'm tank all the way because this team can not afford any more screw ups at this point of time but I'm against any moves that would damage the team's ability to compete (like trading Edler) and trading Jay would, IMO, severely damage this team's ability to motivate itself which is an extremely important intangible to have on a team of young players.

Get rid of Sutter. Make him someone else's problem. Bring Gaudette up permanently and let er ride.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No to trading Jay Beagle, him and Roussel are valuable pieces for the bottom six. I would trade Sutter and Granlund though.

Completely agree with this.

We’re already seeing the value of Roussel in a Canucks uniform. My hats off to @Melvin by the way. Melvin flat out predicted that Roussel would be an extremely valuable addition to your Vancouver Canucks and so I’ll have to give my props here.

Beagle’s very recent cup win in Washington (where he was in a leadership role) also serves as an invaluable asset to the Canucks’ lockerroom.

I do like Sutter, but Gaudette is ready for the bigs and sonething’s got to give. Either move Sutter to the wing and move someone else, or trade Sutter.

Given the Canucks’ cap space (or lack thereof when you consider the inevitable reups of Boeser and Edler), Granlund needs to go. Trade for pick. Ditto for Schaller if possible.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Completely agree with this.

We’re already seeing the value of Roussel in a Canucks uniform. My hats off to @Melvin by the way. Melvin flat out predicted that Roussel would be an extremely valuable addition to your Vancouver Canucks and so I’ll have to give my props here.

Beagle’s very recent cup win in Washington (where he was in a leadership role) also serves as an invaluable asset to the Canucks’ lockerroom.

I do like Sutter, but Gaudette is ready for the bigs and sonething’s got to give. Either move Sutter to the wing and move someone else, or trade Sutter.

Given the Canucks’ cap space (or lack thereof when you consider the inevitable reups of Boeser and Edler), Granlund needs to go. Trade for pick. Ditto for Schaller if possible.

You are not going to get a pick for Granlund. Would you give up a pick to get him? Maybe Minn would like to reunite the brothers, but that's it.

Beagle has been a useful Canucks this year, but his contract is ridiculous. MNTC and $3M a year for 4 years?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m sure if he was worth the money the Caps would have moved other players and made room for him.

You think? Please, have a look at the roster and find a guy they could move that made sense to sign that player to the contract Vancouver gave him. I am persuadeable. How many goals does Chaisson have now? The Caps kept the entire team save for those two.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You think? Please, have a look at the roster and find a guy they could move that made sense to sign that player to the contract Vancouver gave him. I am persuadeable. How many goals does Chaisson have now? The Caps kept the entire team save for those two.

Burakovsky?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burakovsky?

You have hit on the one tough call. He had a couple of big playoff games and has shown large stretches of being a 30 goal 60 pt player. Still he is signed for just this year and as ive mentioned he would be the player to trade for Beagle.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Contract aside, I've grown to like Beagle. He's just a really solid player who knows what his boundaries are. Sutter, on the other hand....

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Would rather trade sutter, I think he’s gonna bring more assets back than beagle. Plus I would like to see gaudette centering the 3rdline, youth movement baby.

Reactions: CDeM85

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Anaheim has had interest in Sutter.

Pittsburgh is looking for a defensive 3c and obviously there is familiarity there. Plus I think Rutherford likes him a lot.

I think we should just trade Sutter because he might have value if we take a short term cap dump.

What other dinosaur GMs are there? Tallon? Wilson? Holland? Chiarelli?
They have to move one of Sutter and Beagle this summer regardless, Gaudette is definitely an decent nhl player by that time

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Would rather trade sutter, I think he’s gonna bring more assets back than beagle. Plus I would like to see gaudette centering the 3rdline, youth movement baby.

Fully agree. Move Sutter, sooner than later, this deadline.

Canucks are a bubble team that is going to just miss the playoffs. They can switch out Sutter for Gaudette and do that without missing a beat while planning for future.

Reactions: LordBacon

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Fully agree. Move Sutter, sooner than later, this deadline.

Canucks are a bubble team that is going to just miss the playoffs. They can switch out Sutter for Gaudette and do that without missing a beat while planning for future.
I think Sutter has a full NTC until July though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad