Player Discussion Trading Jay Beagle

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Edmonton's issue is lack of talent not lavk of character. Just like the Canucks they only have 3 top 6 forwards, 2-3 useful defensemen and no depth.
Considering the Canucks have a couple more points then them Oilers and Sir McDavid the character guys on Canucks must be worth something :naughty:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Considering the Canucks have a couple more points then them Oilers and Sir McDavid the character guys on Canucks must be worth something :naughty:

I think that can largely be attributed to goaltending. And shockingly, having more forward depth somehow. The Oilers have 34 goals outside of their top 4 producers from all the forwards who have played a game. The Canucks have 48.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think that can largely be attributed to goaltending. And shockingly, having more forward depth somehow. The Oilers have 34 goals outside of their top 4 producers from all the forwards who have played a game. The Canucks have 48.
Our bottom 6 are actually decent but Canucks desperately need 2 top 6 wingers it's crazy how bad our top 6 is besides the big 3.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
This would never happen. Sounds nice and all but zero chance Benning would do that to a player that he just signed.

He's just not that ruthless - right or wrong he's always shown to be cognizant of our organizations players feelings - I just can't see him ever doing this trade year one. Year two.........mayyyybe but still doubtful. Year three I could see it but not until then.

MisterBlack83

Sep 5, 2009
Wondering. Any thoughts on trading Jay Beagle back to the Caps at the deadline? Salary retain would be necessary considering the salary cap situation. Jay Beagle with some retained for Andre Burakovsky perhaps?
NO , we need him now. Not hapenning

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I suppose both are kind of redundant.. maybe trade one of them in a year or 2. But they both do play a part. So perhaps when gaudette is ready to take a step to be a regular. Otherwise it’s not overly necessary at this point in time. But I think it’s time to move granlund. Could see him being dealt at deadline.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I suppose both are kind of redundant.. maybe trade one of them in a year or 2. But they both do play a part. So perhaps when gaudette is ready to take a step to be a regular. Otherwise it’s not overly necessary at this point in time. But I think it’s time to move granlund. Could see him being dealt at deadline.

Please. Granlund needs to go, just so we can talk about somebody else at least.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If you can get anything for an aging player with term left you’d be stupid not to.

Caps have been able to adequately replace Beagle with cheaper guys like Dowd and Stephenson, if they wanted to keep Beagle they likely would’ve paid him last summer

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If you can get anything for an aging player with term left you’d be stupid not to.

Caps have been able to adequately replace Beagle with cheaper guys like Dowd and Stephenson, if they wanted to keep Beagle they likely would’ve paid him last summer
According to the Caps fan that started this thread, Dowd sucks and he misses Beagle.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Jay Beagle plays a hard fast and heavy game; has been fantastic on the PK. Beagle and Roussel bring an element that was missing from this team. I would trade Sutter ASAP, the Canucks played with more pace and were better without him in the line up. Sutter is a chippy defensively reliable forward but offence dies on his stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Wonder why they didn’t pay him last offseason.

Interesting how competently run teams don’t give big money/term to 4th liners. Funny how that works.
Yawn. They didn’t pay him because they couldn’t afford to. We have the cap space and no dilusions of being a good team. Because they chose to not pay him doesn’t mean Dowd = Beagle. That’s not how it works

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yawn. They didn’t pay him because they couldn’t afford to. We have the cap space and no dilusions of being a good team. Because they chose to not pay him doesn’t mean Dowd = Beagle. That’s not how it works

It is funny how good teams cant afford players who dont make much of a difference.

Reactions: Hit the post

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It is funny how good teams cant afford players who dont make much of a difference.

Caps seem to be regretting letting Beagle go, apparently Dowd is horrible. Deeper in the playoffs the first 2 lines typically become less effective 5 on 5 due to defensive/checking strategies and shutdown assignments. Washington’s 3rd & 4th lines stepped up big time in the playoffs and were critical in their cup win.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Caps seem to be regretting letting Beagle go, apparently Dowd is horrible. Deeper in the playoffs the first 2 lines typically become non factors 5 on 5 due to defensive/checking strategies and shutdown assignments. Washington’s 3rd & 4th lines stepped up big time in the playoffs and were critical in their cup win.

Washington's top 6 was actually producing really well at ES:

Kuznetsov 20 ESP in 24GP
Ovi 16 ESP in 24GP
Wilson 15 ESP in 21GP
Backstrom 10 ESP in 20GP
Eller 14 ESP in 24GP
Oshie 10 ESP in 24GP

Of course, their biggest success came from an absolutely dominant #1PP unit (similar to Vancouver's run before everything fell to pieces).

Not trying to downplay the clutch handful of goals their bottom 6 got them (Burakovsky's only 2 goals won them the cup, DSP had a couple really important goals), but to say that the first lines were non factors at ES is a bit off.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44 and Pip

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Washington's top 6 was actually producing really well at ES:

Kuznetsov 20 ESP in 24GP
Ovi 16 ESP in 24GP
Wilson 15 ESP in 21GP
Backstrom 10 ESP in 20GP
Eller 14 ESP in 24GP
Oshie 10 ESP in 24GP

Of course, their biggest success came from an absolutely dominant #1PP unit (similar to Vancouver's run before everything fell to pieces).

Not trying to downplay the clutch handful of goals their bottom 6 got them (Burakovsky's only 2 goals won them the cup, DSP had a couple really important goals), but to say that the first lines were non factors at ES is a bit off.

Meant less effective instead of non factors. Eller was on the third line and filled in admirably when Backstrom went down. Smith-Pelly potted some huge goals. Vrana played great in a middle 6 role. Connolly played well. Burakovsky with some clutch goals. Stephenson & Beagle great on the PK, Beagle led the playoffs with 184 face-off wins (60.13 face-off percentage). The games & series were so tight & so close, if not for the role players stepping up the Caps wouldn’t have hoisted the cup.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This ultimately was our Achilles heel in 2011.

Our top 6 got overplayed and burnt out because we had nothing in our bottom 6 due to crappy drafting and age/injuries while Boston was still rolling 4 lines.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
For the record. I’m ok to overpay players like Beagle as based on what I’ve seen so far, he brings the thunder every time he’s on the ice and that type of work ethic IS contagious.

However, it remains to be seen if he’s capable of maintaining this type of work ethic for the duration of his contract because as we’ve seen in players like Dorsett, crappy management can kill a players motivation dead. Injuries as well (Prust).

Based on what I’ve read from Caps fans, I’m cautiously optimistic about Beagle but until Jimbo is replaced, this situation could turn to crap at the drop of a dime.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
This ultimately was our Achilles heel in 2011.

Our top 6 got overplayed and burnt out because we had nothing in our bottom 6 due to crappy drafting and age/injuries while Boston was still rolling 4 lines.

Yup, not much you can do when you have to role out Oreskovich, Tambelleni, Alberts etc.
Malholtra hurt, Raymond out, most of the other forwards playing banged up, especially Kesler & Burrows. Defence was limping, Hamuis out with injury, Salo playing hurt. IMO the turning point was the Rome hit; we lose another defender (suspended), wake up the Bruins, they replace Horton by calling up Sequin. Our third line deserves some praise Torres-Lapierre-Hansen were solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad