Player Discussion Trading Jay Beagle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seems like a strange thread as there is 0 chance he gets traded. Sutter, perhaps

Its only strange if you are an in house fan that sees the team everyday and knows he is not for sale.

We are fairly deep in this thread to get the first suggestion he is not for sale.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Its only strange if you are an in house fan that sees the team everyday and knows he is not for sale.

We are fairly deep in this thread to get the first suggestion he is not for sale.
Every player is for sale but they aren’t interested in trading someone they just signed. Didn’t realize you were a Caps fan, makes sense now

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No. On many levels. The easy answer is that Beagle was a primary part of the structure of the team while Dowd is a marginal NHL, 4th line level player. The Caps healthy scratch Dowd. They would never think of a healthy scratch on Beagle. He skated 4th line center but played top 9 minutes. Dowd skates 4th line center and plays 4th line minutes.

Thanks. Unfortunately, many Canucks posters here do not understand that Beagle was a 4th line anchor for the Caps for many years.

Reactions: PorscheDesign

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Thanks. Unfortunately, many Canucks posters here do not understand that Beagle was a 4th line anchor for the Caps for many years.
Imagine that, a young team like the 2008 capitals going with a young C to grow with their young group. Hmm.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I'd argue the major thing we have going for us is we actually have 4 legit NHL Centres down the middle, Beagle is fine as the 4C, he brings good defence & veteran leadership, Sutter is the one I'd look to (maybe) move in the offseason, leave Gaudette in Utica for the rest of the year with the hope he can be our 3C in 2019-20

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I know what you meant but doesn't this imply he was a liability? I would've described him as a linchpin (no confusion there) on that line. I would call Sutter an anchor on any offensive line (as in black hole). Or am I out to lunch?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You guys laugh at the Beagle vs 1st, but forgot to read that, I said 50% retention.

Salary Cap for 2018-2019 $79.5m for 23 Active Roster Spot.
Considering Salary Retention, Burying Contracts, Buyouts, Injuries, I'm going to give it a nice 26 spots on average.

$79.5 / 26 is $3.06m, average salary.

Beagle, on any measurement, is better than an average player. With Salary Cap keep going up, on a $3m deal he has for 3 more years is a good deal.

I don't think asking for a 1st, for a 50% retention, lowering his cap hit to $1.5m, is asking too much.

Especially considering, I said, as a fan's perspective, and that, I wouldn't want to trade him, but a 1st is the only way I'd give him up, as he is providing great minutes and mentoring our young guys.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

And unfortunately some Canucks fans don't understand analytics so they won't understand how Washington has upgraded on him with a much cheaper player this year. Nic Dowd is literally outplaying what Beagle did in his old role.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't know why there is all the hate for Sutter. The criticism of his cap hit didn't age well, he is a solid 3rd line centre and he eats up hard minutes. I guess people are responding to how he didn't look so hot after returning from a big injury?

Beagle is the definition of replaceable. I would be over the moon if we could get a draft pick for him. I doubt it though. He is better than Gaunce though so don't get that shit twisted.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't know why there is all the hate for Sutter. The criticism of his cap hit didn't age well, he is a solid 3rd line centre and he eats up hard minutes. I guess people are responding to how he didn't look so hot after returning from a big injury?

Beagle is the definition of replaceable. I would be over the moon if we could get a draft pick for him. I doubt it though. He is better than Gaunce though so don't get that **** twisted.

Criticism of his cap hit didn't age well? What? He's an awful cap hit. Just because Benning decided to overpay more 4th liners doesn't mean Sutter's cap hit isn't bad.

The Canucks are chock full of awful cap hits: Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbranson, Beagle, Gagner, and Roussel (still a bad cap hit even if he's not useless). That's $23.5M wasted.

Just because a player plays a lot of "hard minutes" doesn't mean he's successful at it.

Reactions: dim jim

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Sutter is a good hockey player who is worth his cap hit. Roussel is as well.

Eriksson, Beagle, Gagner and Gudbranson are not. Nuance.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Analytics is great, but doesn't count the contributions a player has in the locker room.

If you are doing a fantasy team, or a hockey game simulation, sure, get rid of Beagle.

But real life is no video game.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Beagle is the definition of replaceable. I would be over the moon if we could get a draft pick for him. I doubt it though. He is better than Gaunce though so don't get that **** twisted.
He plays hard minutes, eating them up is a different story. People want to get rid of him, because they want to turn over the roster and better invest the money.

Also, people don't feel the need to have two RH defense first C's eating up $7.5m of the cap and half the icetime when the team is deficient in other areas. It's part of the reason the Beagle signing was met with vitriol to begin with. ONe is fine, two is overkill and Sutter is likely is the hotter trade commodity.

I don't quite understand why everyone has it out for Gaunce, you know what Jay Beagle was to the Capitals when they were at a similar stage to the current Canucks....Brendan Gaunce. Gaunce may be slightly worse, but he has more upside to be more and would be a homegrown 4th liner that could grow with the core....like Beagle's been for Ovie, Kuz, Backstrom etc...also, significantly cheaper, which allows you to spend more to insulate your young talent with better talent. We'll never quite know, but I betcha Beagle couldn't outproduce Gaunce in the AHL right now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d keep Beagle. He’s overpaid as a 4th line center but he’s been really good on the PK.
I’d trade Sutter not because I don’t think he’s useful but because I think you’d get a decent return.
Gaudette looks ready to step up now and will be a cheaper solution who fits into the long term plans.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Analytics is great, but doesn't count the contributions a player has in the locker room.

If you are doing a fantasy team, or a hockey game simulation, sure, get rid of Beagle.

But real life is no video game.

LOL so grossly overpay a mediocre 4th liner because "he's a good guy."

That's what bad teams do.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and dim jim

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Jay Beagle has been called a Player-Coach by Travis Green. I think they want to see him play out his term here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I’d keep Beagle. He’s overpaid as a 4th line center but he’s been really good on the PK.
I’d trade Sutter not because I don’t think he’s useful but because I think you’d get a decent return.
Gaudette looks ready to step up now and will be a cheaper solution who fits into the long term plans.

That's actually not true at all

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Outside of Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser I would say anyone currently on the roster is tradeable. And even then I'd trade any of those three if someone like McDavid was coming back the other way.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sutter is a good hockey player who is worth his cap hit. Roussel is as well.

Eriksson, Beagle, Gagner and Gudbranson are not. Nuance.
I agree with most of this other than Sutter being worth his cap hit. He's an NHL player, who does some things well, but I think you have to dig pretty deep to find contemporaries who are paid similarly that produce as little.

I think his caphit isn't exorbitant but it isn't great value. Most good teams around the league either pay less for similar production or pay similar for considerably more.

Who are you comparing Sutter to when you're suggesting he's worth his cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad