Player Discussion Trading Jay Beagle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Every player is for sale but they aren’t interested in trading someone they just signed. Didn’t realize you were a Caps fan, makes sense now

Disagree. Most players aren't for sale. Rosters in the cap era have a certain structure to them and very few players are offered in trade. Far more players are just off limits. Most of the rest would take offers that most teams wouldn't come close to making. Its too expensive to talk a team out of a player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think asking for a 1st, for a 50% retention, lowering his cap hit to $1.5m, is asking too much..

IMO, asking for a 1st round pick for Jay Beagle is ridiculous. For the Capitals who might want him, its a non starter. It might not be too much to ask, but its also a deal killer. The closest you can get to a 1st is to take Burakovsky, wh0 was a first, and is having a crisis of confidence and has lost his job to a 1st taken the next year after he was drafted.

I am not sure that isn't the best deal for both teams.

member 290103

Threads proposing a Beagle trade are a waste, especially if it is to retain salary. Dimco will never trade him, they love him. They think he will help them lose four straight playoff games this year.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Sure, you can have him. Benning would never trade a newly signed FA though, apparently it sends the “wrong message” or something like that.

He’s been okay, but 4 years? That is gonna look ugly for years 3 and 4

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Threads up for trading Beagle (and another thread popping up about moving Sutter)....People here have some pretty short term memories about what happened to this team when these two were out of the lineup in November...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The main problem is that Canuck's proposed trades continuously over value our players. Would you give up a 1st to get Beagle into our lineup? Then why do you think someone else will to get him?

People keep saying we need to get more 1st round draft picks, and 2nds etc.

Well the only players who will garner those are Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat. Maybe Markstrom.

And no one wants Granlund Baertchi Sutter Gudbrandson and Pouliet. As a package they are not worth a 5th. Tanev might get a 2nd and a prospect. Erikson is presently negative value. Virtanen borderline 2nd / 3rd.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Wondering. Any thoughts on trading Jay Beagle back to the Caps at the deadline? Salary retain would be necessary considering the salary cap situation. Jay Beagle with some retained for Andre Burakovsky perhaps?
why is salary retention necessary? Burakovsky has a similar cap hit.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Sure. Beagle is a old 4th liner whose game is likely to drop off during his current contract. Getting anything would be good.
Beagle is a gym rat he's in better shape then most guys 5 years younger he will stay about the same for duration of contract. He has really helped the bottom 6 and I'm sure he's helped the kids understand what it takes to be a player. He has a great work ethic and I'm sure the kids see that and hopefully learn it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Threads up for trading Beagle (and another thread popping up about moving Sutter)....People here have some pretty short term memories about what happened to this team when these two were out of the lineup in November...

To be fair the Beagle thread came by way of Washington. Not Vancouver.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That's why the retention. Burakovsky's contract is up after his season. Keep him or not. Beagle's deal runs into Backstrom's deal ending and Holtby I think.
We could retain like 500k max.

Otherwise I’d rather trade Sutter who has garnered interest around the league.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It seems Beagle is a pillar in the dressing room and exemplifies good habits to being a pro which is what the young core can model after. Beagle gets respect because he has won on every level, is extremely humble, and is purely focused on hockey. Everyone should listen to his feature on 31 thoughts podcast, it's no fluke that Canucks are battling hard in every game to the point they are competing for the playoffs while pure talent teams like Edmonton seem to be regressing their endless rebuild.

Reactions: PuckFather

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Beagle is a gym rat he's in better shape then most guys 5 years younger he will stay about the same for duration of contract. He has really helped the bottom 6 and I'm sure he's helped the kids understand what it takes to be a player. He has a great work ethic and I'm sure the kids see that and hopefully learn it.

His on ice play is easily replaceable for much cheaper.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
His on ice play is easily replaceable for much cheaper.
Talent alone isn't everything many talented players have done nothing. You also need role players and he's been one of the better 4th line centre's in leaague for awhile. Sure he's over paid but he's at least useful.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Generational work ethic
Foundational faceoff ability
Life-changing mentorship

I'll admit I laughed. I don't think Petterson needs him or Gudbranson to show him how to tie his skates, and these qualities are fairly useless. That being said Beagle seems far more likable and appears to work much harder than Gudbranson or Sutter.

Reactions: travis scott

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'll admit I laughed. I don't think Petterson needs him or Gudbranson to show him how to tie his skates, and these qualities are fairly useless. That being said Beagle seems far more likable and appears to work much harder than Gudbranson or Sutter.

Definitely an upgrade on Prust in that he appears to genuinely be a good mentor and team guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad