Speculation: Trading Down in the Draft

schnee11

Hockey Lover
Dec 12, 2014
Canada
I would consider trading down only if we get the 3rd overall pick. if we get any earlier we get eichel or Mcdavid, which you can't turn down, but the third overall pick is Noah Hanifin. Yes Hanifin is an incredible players but he is an LDM, same as rielly. Rather than using a 3rd overall pick to draft a 2nd line defenseman I think we could trade down to the 10th round pick so we can get someone like Pavel Zacha or Zack Werenski and than additonally get a late 1st rounder. it all depends on what happens at the lottery

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I would consider trading down only if we get the 3rd overall pick. if we get any earlier we get eichel or Mcdavid, which you can't turn down, but the third overall pick is Noah Hanifin. Yes Hanifin is an incredible players but he is an LDM, same as rielly. Rather than using a 3rd overall pick to draft a 2nd line defenseman I think we could trade down to the 10th round pick so we can get someone like Pavel Zacha or Zack Werenski and than additonally get a late 1st rounder. it all depends on what happens at the lottery

2nd line defenceman? Hanifin projects as an elite two way D. Nothing says second pairing about his tools as prospect. If we have the 3rd pick, we grab him. I don't really like your idea of trading down to 10 either, seeing there is still going to be guys like Strome, Barzal and Rantanen on the board, not to mention Werenski and Provorov past 3. It makes no sense for us to trade our chance at a truly elite prospect for one good one (10th pick) and a meh one (late first).

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'd trade the Nashville pick down in a second.

I'd rather just keep it, select BPA, then use whatever picks we land in a Phaneuf or Kessel deal to make up for not moving down. There are still some nice propects to be had at the Nashville pick, and with their recent struggles, there's still a chance it ends up in the early 20's.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
In all seriousness though, I trade down with 3 too. Someone will pay an insane amount for Hanifan and I think he is the 3rd best defenseman in the draft. Go to 4 or 5 and take Marner/Strome.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Assuming the Leafs pick between 4-8, how would people feel about moving down in the draft?

I wouldnt be opposed to moving down from 6th (where we are right now) to around 10 to if we could get a late 1st, future first or even an early 2nd in this draft. All depending of course on who's still on the board. I realize that its early but given the deep draft I thought it might make for interesting conversation. If the LEafs have a guy they are high on and think that he will still be on the board later I could see them going for it. I think one of Werenski or Provorov might be around at 10.

This team needs elite talent at all positions to be built properly. We've drafted a ton of depth.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Only if we can't get Marner or Strome with our pick. We need a high end C prospect badly.

Even then, we do need elite prospects period, just pick BPA.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
In all seriousness though, I trade down with 3 too. Someone will pay an insane amount for Hanifan and I think he is the 3rd best defenseman in the draft. Go to 4 or 5 and take Marner/Strome.

Sadly not many hold that opinion. We won't get 3 but if we did....I could see us taking him just because he is BPA.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we get 4th pick and I was offered 5th+ an additional 2015 late 1st I would probably do it depending who is on the board. Would also consider our 4th for additional 1st + 2nd to drop to 6th.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The only way you trade from 3rd pick to 5th pick, is if you don't see much of any difference between Strome and Marner, than maybe you do 3rd for 5th. Besides that, can't see the point, and we are not coming 3rd last anyways.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If we get 4th pick and I was offered 5th+ an additional 2015 late 1st I would probably do it depending who is on the board. Would also consider our 4th for additional 1st + 2nd to drop to 6th.

I think it's against the law to take advantage of someone who is mentally challenged.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
At 5/6 we can still get a potential number one C. Strome appears to be rising though and may be gone at 4 :(.

I don't want to risk missing our first real chance at a center.

I really hope the Leafs finish with no lower than the 4th overall pick, so that they get some choice of who they think is the BPA.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
Lets see what would it take for me to trade down...

1st Overall (we won the lottery) - NO WAY
4th Overall - NO WAY
5th Overall - NO WAY
6th Overall (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner all gone) - YES drop 1-5 places back in the draft pick up another late 1st rounder or early 2nd)

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i take it back because i agree with this. the only circumstance is if we have 3, then i'd drop to 4-5. maybe for a low first or high second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad