Speculation: Trading Down in the Draft

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
Assuming the Leafs pick between 4-8, how would people feel about moving down in the draft?

I wouldnt be opposed to moving down from 6th (where we are right now) to around 10 to if we could get a late 1st, future first or even an early 2nd in this draft. All depending of course on who's still on the board. I realize that its early but given the deep draft I thought it might make for interesting conversation. If the LEafs have a guy they are high on and think that he will still be on the board later I could see them going for it. I think one of Werenski or Provorov might be around at 10.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
no. you don't turn down marner, strome, barzal, zacha, ratanen if the chance is available. any of them could have been top 3 in an average draft year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It depends on the return but probably not. I'd drop down with the late 1st round pick we have though.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
there is no way I'd be a happy fan if I had to deal with this season and watch this crap and then have this team move down. NO! we stay and pick up one of Strome (#1 C) (Marner- elite winger) Hanifin (#1-#2 D)

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
So pretty much...take your pick of Barzal/Werenski/Provorov at 6 OR trade down to 10 where you might not even get a chance at any of them, and if you do its whoever the other teams passed on?

:shakehead

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If anything, you try to move up in this draft. It would be a good thing to improve on the Nashville pick! No?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
No, wouldn't do it. Barring a ridiculous return, it wouldn't be worth it. Take the best prospect available on the board.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
no. you don't turn down marner, strome, barzal, zacha, ratanen if the chance is available. any of them could have been top 3 in an average draft year.

If we pick at 6th theres a good chance Strome and Marner are both gone. IMO theres the clear 1+2 in MCEichel. Hanifan at 3 (maybe marner, crouse or strome have a shot here)then 4 and 5 are likely to be strome and marner. To me 6-11 with Crouse, Werenski, Provorov, Barzal, Rantanen and Zacha are all pretty interchangeable.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
If we have all of Marner/Strome/Barzal rated pretty equally, then I'd be willing to move down to 6 if we end up at 4. Pick up an early 2nd to go with that pick. And if Nashville keeps falling and Pittsburgh ends up in the conference finals, swap Nashville's pick (hopefully around 20) for PIT 1st and EDM 2nd.

Walking out of the draft with 4 picks in the top 40, Barzal + 3 of Bittner/Svechnikov/Greenway/Blackwood/Harkins/Erikson-Ek/Dergachyov/Beauvillier/Novak looks good to me

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Trade what we have for future assets, suck ass, draft well, get better. No need to try and get creative/risky with it.

EmceeYan

Dec 20, 2008
In Lil' Jon voice "Trade Down for WHAT!?"

We need to take the best player available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad