Proposal: Trades

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. Toronto needs cap space. they have just under $4.6m in cap and look to be losing Barrie and Ceci from an already weak blueline. They could look to fill it on the cheap and with kids, but I don't think reilly and muzzin are good enough to weather the storm and have that club a serious contender while sandin, liljegren, and dermott work and build their games back there. They would probably try to flip Nylander for a D before dealing him for cap space, but I'm not sure that's going to be an easy deal to make. But if they can clear cap space and sign Pietrangelo...yeah, I think they could then back fill on the cheap and pull it off.

Kapanen is a nice player, but I think we can find good middle6 guys ourselves.

He's owed $9.5m over the next three years. To hell with pride, that's a lot of money and I don't blame him at all if he doesn't want to leave it on the table. I'm hoping this long layoff will give him time to maybe get a bit healthier and work harder on getting his legs back. He might not bounce back to a 13 minute, 3rd line guy but I don't think it's crazy that he could be a 10 minute a night, 55-60 game 4th liner. And if he shows up, does the work, and helps set the right example in the locker room, take it for what it is and ride it out.
Draft drysdale trade hronek for nylander? Just spitballing here.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If we send Nielsen & Abby to GR/LTIR that's even more weaponized Cap!

upload_2020-7-20_23-39-53.png

+ I expect: LGD, Helm, Flip all gone by TDL.

Nielsen+Abby= -$9.5m -GR/LTIR/player coach whatever, get 'em gone.

LGD/Flip/Helm= -$8.65m gone by TDL at latest. Possible retention to 50%.

LGD may be kept til next year? Good value, cheap, 1yr, vet, FO, grit, hustle, hits, PK, shot block, InYoFace.
Possibly LGD retained, but doubtful.

Perlini gone for sure= -$874k

+Ehn/Erne either gone/GR and/or replaced by similar $Cap salary player?

I think they keep Tymashov, as they should, top 9 for sure. Plus M.Brome could make it & flank Tymashov-Veleno-Brome. My hunch they keep Erne, same salary 1yr & let Ehn go to GR.

It'll be interesting if Ras/Veleno/Svech see any NHL time if AHL is down, even a few games til they go to KHL/Europe on loan.

Last edited:
Reactions: degustator

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. Toronto needs cap space. they have just under $4.6m in cap and look to be losing Barrie and Ceci from an already weak blueline. They could look to fill it on the cheap and with kids, but I don't think reilly and muzzin are good enough to weather the storm and have that club a serious contender while sandin, liljegren, and dermott work and build their games back there. They would probably try to flip Nylander for a D before dealing him for cap space, but I'm not sure that's going to be an easy deal to make. But if they can clear cap space and sign Pietrangelo...yeah, I think they could then back fill on the cheap and pull it off.

Kapanen is a nice player, but I think we can find good middle6 guys ourselves.
It makes sense but are we talking Hronek for Nylander? I can’t see them super interested in our other defenseman.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I expect Seider to make the team outta camp 60-90%, he's good enough for sure, but is it best for his development? Is Europe/KHL better (on loan) if AHL is down?

I expect Lindstrom to make the team out of camp 50/50%. He deserves to be up, but could get more TOI in GR & all situations.

I think Brome & Tymashov surprise, make the team & have good chemistry for possible 3rd line Ws. Just a hunch.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It makes sense but are we talking Hronek for Nylander? I can’t see them super interested in our other defenseman.

I'm talking picks for Nylander, maybe a mid-level prospect. Toronto can't afford to take cap back, and I don't see a reason to give them a legit piece for what is really a cap dump. Maybe Toronto can get a better deal elsewhere, but the Wings have no reason to do toronto any favors here.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I'm talking picks for Nylander, maybe a mid-level prospect. Toronto can't afford to take cap back, and I don't see a reason to give them a legit piece for what is really a cap dump. Maybe Toronto can get a better deal elsewhere, but the Wings have no reason to do toronto any favors here.
Nylander is not a cap dump. Kerfoot would be a cap dump.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nylander is not a cap dump. Kerfoot would be a cap dump.

If you have to move a guy because you need the cap space, that's a cap dump. Moving Kerfoot has a similar issue as moving Kapanen - he's cheap. Not only is that the sort of contract Toronto needs to stay under the cap, but moving him doesn't free up enough space to bolster their team. They can try to also deal for other team's LTIR players, and then use more resources to get players to fill that cap space, but I don't think that has been something that has worked out well for them so far. And I think it also stresses your roster to bank on guys being hurt and to constantly have to juggle cap numbers to be compliant.

This is a long way of saying that I don't think Toronto's only problem is that cap but with how they are constructed. They are top heavy up front and are woefully thin on the back. Fixing that isn't dealing Kerfoot or Kapanen. Maybe they can work around the cap by continuing to be a safe harbor for the terminally injured, but - at least to me -their best bet is to bite the bullet and rework that team a bit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
DET - RW Brock Boeser, , LW Loui Eriksson

Van - LHD Dennis Cholowski, 6th round pick.

DET - RHD Rasmus Ristolainen

BUF - RW/LW Robbie Fabbri, RHD Madison Bowey.

I don't know, Risto is pretty bad in his own end and with our depth on D that is scary!

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Draft drysdale trade hronek for nylander? Just spitballing here.

Can’t stand Nylander as a player. Kid has lots of skill and can be a heck of a player, but I don’t think he’s the type of player you build a winning team around. We need somebody with that skill level who plays with more heart and is more of a team player and less of a “me” player.

Reactions: RabidBadger

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Can’t stand Nylander as a player. Kid has lots of skill and can be a heck of a player, but I don’t think he’s the type of player you build a winning team around. We need somebody with that skill level who plays with more heart and is more of a team player and less of a “me” player.
Never watched the kid play to be honest. I just see a right shot 70 point winger.
But if he’s not pulling the rope I don’t want him.

Reactions: 13to40

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wonder if St. Louis would want to unload Jake Allen so they can resign Pieterangelo (butchered that spelling). Maybe we can wiggle out a 22 first, or Kyrou/Kostin and a 3rd

St. Louis will absolutely want to move a piece or two to keep Pietrangelo. Allen is an expensive backup for them at this point, although he was good in limited time this season. There's also potentially Bozak and the most enticing player I'd try to shake loose in Schwartz.

Given their trade history, I'm sure Yzerman is in touch with Doug Armstrong.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
His teammates are well off some of his bad numbers though!

He's been asked to play as a 1D on awful teams, routinely eating 19+ minutes a night at ES, and over 24 minutes overall. This year they were finally able to control his minutes (though he still led that blueline), and his +/- fell into line a bit more at just -2. Of the D who played 50+ games for them this year, his +/- was the second best.

I think the issue with Ristolainen is that he would have made a really really good #2, but Buffalo has been asking him to be a Norris caliber #1 and he just couldn't do it.

Reactions: Oddbob

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's been asked to play as a 1D on awful teams, routinely eating 19+ minutes a night at ES, and over 24 minutes overall. This year they were finally able to control his minutes (though he still led that blueline), and his +/- fell into line a bit more at just -2. Of the D who played 50+ games for them this year, his +/- was the second best.

I think the issue with Ristolainen is that he would have made a really really good #2, but Buffalo has been asking him to be a Norris caliber #1 and he just couldn't do it.

Risto could be a great piece on a winning team, but don't make him THE piece on the blueline. Simple as that.

He kinda reminds me of J Bow that way.

Reactions: Winger98

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
St. Louis will absolutely want to move a piece or two to keep Pietrangelo. Allen is an expensive backup for them at this point, although he was good in limited time this season. There's also potentially Bozak and the most enticing player I'd try to shake loose in Schwartz.

Given their trade history, I'm sure Yzerman is in touch with Doug Armstrong.
Bozak has a ModNTC but if it were to happen what do you think we could get?

This sounds like a lot - just putting it out there

St Louis gives Allen, Bozak, 21' 1st, 22' 1st

DRW gives 21' 2nd (SLB do not have a 2nd that year) + ???

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If we're taking a cap dump and also a goalie from St Louis give me Joel Hofer.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Bozak has a ModNTC but if it were to happen what do you think we could get?

This sounds like a lot - just putting it out there

St Louis gives Allen, Bozak, 21' 1st, 22' 1st

DRW gives 21' 2nd (SLB do not have a 2nd that year) + ???
I think this is a pipe dream. Just because they need to shed cap doesn’t mean Allen and bozak don’t have value. I don’t think they need to pay to get rid of them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think this is a pipe dream. Just because they need to shed cap doesn’t mean Allen and bozak don’t have value. I don’t think they need to pay to get rid of them.

I think they will need to pay a little but yeah two firsts seems a bit much.

I think they might have to part with a first or Kyrou/decent prospect if you wanted to move both at the same time. We have to wait and see how this market unfolds. Which teams join and how clear is the leverage. Heck we might find Chris Ilitch pulls in the purse strings and most of what we have been planning isn't even budgeted correctly. Really hard to say until we get to the off-season unfortunately. We might find out in that month we are one of the only big buyers and we can charge people a huge premium as well. I agree with those floating take Eriksson to get Demko, it would solve a long-term goalie issue if we aren't drafting Askarov. That is my favorite one so far. I do think Bozak would improve Zadina's life for this season as well and upgrade on Fil.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

I think they might have to part with a first or Kyrou/decent prospect if you wanted to move both at the same time. We have to wait and see how this market unfolds. Which teams join and how clear is the leverage. Heck we might find Chris Ilitch pulls in the purse strings and most of what we have been planning isn't even budgeted correctly. Really hard to say until we get to the off-season unfortunately. We might find out in that month we are one of the only big buyers and we can charge people a huge premium as well. I agree with those floating take Eriksson to get Demko, it would solve a long-term goalie issue if we aren't drafting Askarov. That is my favorite one so far. I do think Bozak would improve Zadina's life for this season as well and upgrade on Fil.
SLB saves $9.4 mill and with 1 of the 1st's,gets back a 2nd. Thats a drop of what? 5-10 spots? picking in the 30's instead of the 20's
When you say 2 1sts it does sound high but maybe too high

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Closing his wallet wouldn't be an encouraging sign considering how he also hasn't been willing to spend on the Tigers.

Someone else has to want them and have the cap space for them, though. That's a lot of cap space to move, and while those guys have value I just don't see a lot of trade options out there for that sort of move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad