Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You let Marner walk, hoping Draisaitl signs here.. .then he doesn't, and you have neither...
More free cap space for Connor McDavid the following year., :wg:

But that wasn't really the point of my post.. It was more about being cut throat and doing what was best for the team without loyalties to current players clouding better judgement. You don't burn any bridges with Marner and only replace him IF the possibility exists.,

But you could play hardball trying to keep his salary in check also and use signing someone else as leverage. Similar to TB who was suggesting they may walk away from Stamkos regardless of past loyalties if their decision was made with hopes it makes the team better. Leafs walking away from Tavares might be a better example here in terms of Stamkos situation and TB walking away from their captain.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Steven Stamkos was probably my favorite player in the early to mid 2010s and 2016 was such a huge opportunity for him to come home and I really wanted to see it happen.

I don't love the way he came back, clowned around with the Toronto Blue Jays during those years, hung around the city with those RBC promotions, made moves like he wanted to be a Leaf and then went back to Tampa Bay. Over the years I also haven't enjoyed seeing him come back to this city and talk about the Leafs program like he's so familiar.

Never say never, but Stamkos becoming a Leaf after Tampa turfs him isn't a scenario I'm that excited about. Hedman, however would be a different story if that program goes south.

His time to come was definitely his last ufa period. Maybe he does a Spezza in 4-5 years after his next contract expires, but I don't see anything working out between team and player before he's willing to play for next to nothing, which obviously isn't.thr case at the moment

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His time to come was definitely his last ufa period. Maybe he does a Spezza in 4-5 years after his next contract expires, but I don't see anything working out between team and player before he's willing to play for next to nothing, which obviously isn't.thr case at the moment

I don’t think I’ll really embrace Stamkos if he’s just a washed up middle to bottom lineup player and found his way onto the Leafs for a novelty tour of duty. He had a real chance to be a special Leaf in his prime and a Spezza Giordano run ain’t it. I haven’t always enjoyed JT but give him a lot of respect for taking that leap with us.

Tough luck if Tampa kicks you to the curb after a 15 year run.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Agreed.

Waiving Timmins would be an incredibly shortsighted move.

150% he will be claimed if the Leafs are dumb enough to try to send him down.

This kid is a legitimate RHD prospect. You absolutely don’t give those guys up, you develop them.
Agreed, it would be like giving up on Liljegren as he's literally the same age and I remember Timmins as one of my personal preferences for the leaf pick that year as he was projected to go in the late teens/early 20's.

I've had this argument with a buddy of mine from work who I've said I'd prefer to trade Brodie at this stage (waiving saves barely anything on the cap), rather than lose Timmins.

Brodie's almost done as a player, he makes a good chunk of money we could definitely use elsewhere, he's a pending UFA, and last year you could see even his normally reliable defensive game was starting to show some warts. Not to mention Treliving tried to trade him once before while on Calgary and ultimately let him walk in free agency for nothing.

Yes losing Brodie would suck as he's easily our best defensive D, but the net difference of what Timmins, Klingberg, and more minutes for Liljegren could bring on offense may balance that out and Benoit is an adequate 7th Dman.

The extra money saved by trading Brodie away would give us some flexibility to carry 13F and who knows? Maybe even get us Patrick Kane

Reactions: LeafSteel

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like Tampa is going to be more cutthroat than a team like Boston that held onto its Bergeron and Chara type stars into their late 30s and beyond.

I’m sure Stamkos wants the respect and consideration and consultation on his future and this isn’t purely about dollars and cents. I think Brisebois comments to the public about contending and cap management should have been for Stamkos in private but my sense is Tampa is looking for a breakup and don’t really care about hurt feelings.

Their commitment to Hagel and Jeannot tells me they’d probably be just as happy moving on from Stamkos. Reminds me of when St. Louis hardballed Petro on bonus structure but was spending liberally on Faulk and Krug like they were planning on moving on.

I’m not going to say no to Stamkos if his hurt feelings bring him to Toronto and he signs very team friendly. But otherwise his chance at being a top player on the Leafs has passed.
If Stammer wants to sign with us at a team friendly deal out of spite against Tampa I'd more than welcome it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How much would Stammer next contract be though? It should be higher than ROR’s current deal.
Personally, I think Stammer will sign with the Hawks as a mentor to Connor.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Kopitar stayed with LA at $7M x 2.

Giroux went home to Ottawa at $6.5m x 3.

I'd guess Stamkos is in and around those. Cap will be slightly higher... this coming season will play some role... but those are 2 very good baselines.

I'd guess $7M x 3 sounds about right

Reactions: Gabriel426

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Kopitar stayed with LA at $7M x 2.

Giroux went home to Ottawa at $6.5m x 3.

I'd guess Stamkos is in and around those. Cap will be slightly higher... this coming season will play some role... but those are 2 very good baselines.

I'd guess $7M x 3 sounds about right
I doubt he'd be getting that kind of contract here tbh. Only way I see that happening is if we can not get a deal done with Nylander and have that extra cap. I'd say if we are actually interested in bringing Stamkos here because TB doesn't sign him then I would hope we could get him and Tavares combined for Tavares current cap hit.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You let Marner walk, hoping Draisaitl signs here.. .then he doesn't, and you have neither...
Not to mention exchanging Marner for a player who has never played away from Connor McDavid strikes me as having the makings of one of the worst moves in franchise history. If Drai's numbers drop by 30-40% because he's no longer getting his insane power play numbers from McDavid, how stupid do the Leafs come off in that situation?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I doubt he'd be getting that kind of contract here tbh. Only way I see that happening is if we can not get a deal done with Nylander and have that extra cap. I'd say if we are actually interested in bringing Stamkos here because TB doesn't sign him then I would hope we could get him and Tavares combined for Tavares current cap hit.

Well that'd be impossible because JT has another year left on his deal.

I agree that if Stamkos were to come it's in large part (maybe entirely) because Willy goes elsewhere. Don't see any world they can re-sign Willy AND bring in Stamkos.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well that'd be impossible because JT has another year left on his deal.

I agree that if Stamkos were to come it's in large part (maybe entirely) because Willy goes elsewhere. Don't see any world they can re-sign Willy AND bring in Stamkos.

The JT contract is pretty much the reason we squandered the rebuild so far. Leafs love to overpay old guys with name recognition. Sadly it never works out for us.

JT contract basically caused everyone to demand that little but extra on top of it all as well.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The JT contract is pretty much the reason we squandered the rebuild so far. Leafs love to overpay old guys with name recognition. Sadly it never works out for us.

JT contract basically caused everyone to demand that little but extra on top of it all as well.
While we do have a history of signing old vets dating back to forever, Tavares signed with us when he was 27.
And while his contract is certainly large and a little inflated, he signed at market value (and less than other offers).

Beyond that, most of our end-of-the-line vet contracts we've signed recently - Spezza, Giordano, Simmonds, Thornton - have at least been league min or near.
Reaves has been the biggest investment for those kind of guys since Hainsey and Marleau

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not to mention exchanging Marner for a player who has never played away from Connor McDavid strikes me as having the makings of one of the worst moves in franchise history. If Drai's numbers drop by 30-40% because he's no longer getting his insane power play numbers from McDavid, how stupid do the Leafs come off in that situation?

How many games has marner played away from Matthews or prime Tavares?

How many points does marner pick up without Matthews scoring the most goals over the past 4 years?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Drai had more ES goals and points (away from McDavid) than Mitch had playing with Matthews. He also had more ES goals and (lots more) points than JT at 2C.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Draisaitl is better than any player in leafs franchise history

Hes on track to be a top 30 player all time

If we get Draisaitl and lose Marner this team improves so much just alone on Draisaitl being the best PP player we would ever have had

Matthews + Nylander + Tavares getting set or passing to Draisaitl would be insnae

kb

Aug 28, 2009
While we do have a history of signing old vets dating back to forever, Tavares signed with us when he was 27.
And while his contract is certainly large and a little inflated, he signed at market value (and less than other offers).

Beyond that, most of our end-of-the-line vet contracts we've signed recently - Spezza, Giordano, Simmonds, Thornton - have at least been league min or near.
Reaves has been the biggest investment for those kind of guys since Hainsey and Marleau
And lets try to remember who was the GM to sign over the hill vets to bloated immovable contracts, and traded 2nd round picks for 4th liners.

Amazing that even today, many cant see that era was a huge GM blunder from start to finish. Bad non forward thinking decisions that hamstrung the organization when it was just on the upswing.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And lets try to remember who was the GM to sign over the hill vets to bloated immovable contracts, and traded 2nd round picks for 4th liners.

Amazing that even today, many cant see that era was a huge GM blunder from start to finish. Bad non forward thinking decisions that hamstrung the organization when it was just on the upswing.
I mean, it's a can of worms I don't really want to open, but if you compare the vet signings

Marleau ($6.25M), Hainsey ($3M), Moore ($1M)
Spezza ($750k), Thornton ($700k), Simmonds ($900k), Giordano ($800k), Clifford ($762.5k)
Reaves ($1.35M)

If there was one thing He Who Must Be Named did, it was lure vets in without giving them inflated retirement contracts

If we can get a hometown kid like Stamkos or star like Kane in on a sweetheart deal, Treliving should definitely be on it

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I mean, it's a can of worms I don't really want to open, but if you compare the vet signings

Marleau ($6.25M), Hainsey ($3M), Moore ($1M)
Spezza ($750k), Thornton ($700k), Simmonds ($900k), Giordano ($800k), Clifford ($762.5k)
Reaves ($1.35M)

If there was one thing He Who Must Be Named did, it was lure vets in without giving them inflated retirement contracts

If we can get a hometown kid like Stamkos or star like Kane in one a sweetheart deal, Treliving should definitely be on it
True and if they can still attract those types of players for playoff runs and minimum money... sure.

I don't want young guys missing opportunities anymore though. That happened a number of times and in hindsight it clearly didn't push the envelope.

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad