Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Ask your friend to go up and talk to him next time. Seriously. Dude could have a huge scoop.
Ha! For sure! That's his plan for next time.

I know this whole "my friend" thing sounds ridiculous, but this is a trustworthy, stand-up guy. I'd never associate him with lying, delusion or Mr. Magoo level near-sightedness.

I think the best guess is that Kane is rehabing in Mississauga for one reason or another.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The Leafs should be move on from the name value, washed vets phase.
Washed vets? Stamkos put up over 100 points two seasons ago and was over a PPG player last season.

Given his age, I would definitely not be looking at signing him to a 9+ million dollar deal but if he took a discount to come home and we can get him at like 4-4.5 million per on a multi year deal sign me up.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Washed vets? Stamkos put up over 100 points two seasons ago and was over a PPG player last season.

Given his age, I would definitely not be looking at signing him to a 9+ million dollar deal but if he took a discount to come home and we can get him at like 4-4.5 million per on a multi year deal sign me up.
To me anyway, Stamkos screams one franchise for life kind of guy. I don't expect him to leave Tampa at all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just in case anyone wants to read the article.

""

I'm not sure of the full consequences of signing him after the season starts, but perhaps singing him now, and putting him on LTIR might make sense for some teams. If it's Buffalo, they have plenty of cap room for this year, so it wouldn't matter to them.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Was talking about Kane

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Nope, the prick had his chance t be a Leaf. Used our team as a bargaining chip. NO THANKS !!!
While I agree with the sentiment I'd be happy to pick him up for say $5.5-$6m on a 2 year deal instead of Willy at $9.5-$10m on a 7-8 year deal.

No more than two years tho, as there's another UFA at that time ... a certain someone who wears #97, who'll wanna come home and we need room to sign him

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd have interest in Kane if the price was right. I'm thinking something similar to when SJ terminated Evander Kane's contract and he signed with the Oilers for something like 2 mill AAV for 1 year.

If somehow you liquidate Jarnkrok and use that cap space to bring in Kane, seems like a no brainer to me. If Kane is looking for 5-6 million, he can go find it somewhere else.

It's been reported that he enjoys playing closer to home because his Father has a fear of flying. His Father would regularly make the drive from Buffalo to Chicago to watch him play. Obviously, Buffalo would be closest to home but if he doesn't want to be there, Toronto would be the next logical option.

As reported earlier, he also happens to be rehabbing here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep. No interest from me. Strikes me as a guy looking for a final payday too.

Steven Stamkos was probably my favorite player in the early to mid 2010s and 2016 was such a huge opportunity for him to come home and I really wanted to see it happen.

I don't love the way he came back, clowned around with the Toronto Blue Jays during those years, hung around the city with those RBC promotions, made moves like he wanted to be a Leaf and then went back to Tampa Bay. Over the years I also haven't enjoyed seeing him come back to this city and talk about the Leafs program like he's so familiar.

Never say never, but Stamkos becoming a Leaf after Tampa turfs him isn't a scenario I'm that excited about. Hedman, however would be a different story if that program goes south.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kane is going to have a few suitors and he's not going to sign a league minimum deal - the guys got zero connections to Toronto.

He's a non starter for the Leafs imo without even getting into the cap issues
He is out for a few months of rehab. His prorated salary might be managable with a perfectly timed injury.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Oddly enough. There is some legit value on CGY in a Nylander trade - couldn’t be a better guy to assess that value.

Personally; (Nylander+)
Hanifin + Lindholm = over the moon
Hanifin + Backlund = super happy
Hanifin + Mangiapane = happy

Lindholm + Zadorov = super happy
Backlund + Zadorov = content
Mangiapane + Zadorov = not too happy

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Oddly enough. There is some legit value on CGY in a Nylander trade - couldn’t be a better guy to assess that value.

Personally; (Nylander+)

I generally agree with your assessments here, but none of them work cap wise. I can't see Calgary giving up two solid pieces and retaining in them to get Nylander as a pending UFA.

I can't see what we could add that even the salaries out without creating another hole on our roster.

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Personally; (Nylander+)

A Toronto- Calgary trade makes a lot of sense.

To Toronto-
Lindholm
Andersson

To Calgary-
Nylander
Liljegren
Robertson

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Lindholm-Tavares
Domi-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Brodie-Klingberg
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A Toronto- Calgary trade makes a lot of sense.

To Toronto-
Lindholm
Andersson

To Calgary-
Nylander
Liljegren
Robertson

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Lindholm-Tavares
Domi-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Andersson
Brodie-Klingberg
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano

For Toronto yes. Calgary that’s just not good at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Steven Stamkos was probably my favorite player in the early to mid 2010s and 2016 was such a huge opportunity for him to come home and I really wanted to see it happen.

I don't love the way he came back, clowned around with the Toronto Blue Jays during those years, hung around the city with those RBC promotions, made moves like he wanted to be a Leaf and then went back to Tampa Bay. Over the years I also haven't enjoyed seeing him come back to this city and talk about the Leafs program like he's so familiar.

Never say never, but Stamkos becoming a Leaf after Tampa turfs him isn't a scenario I'm that excited about. Hedman, however would be a different story if that program goes south.
Stamkos returned to TB because he claimed it gave him the best opportunity to win.

Now all the bling from his Stanley Cup rings seems to support his previous position.

Stamkos is not the answer to what ails the Leafs, but you're correct that Hedman could be a game changer.

A Norris level Dman would go a long way to change around the Leafs fortunes. IMO

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stamkos returned to TB because he claimed it gave him the best opportunity to win.

Now all the bling from his Stanley Cup rings seems to support his previous position.

Stamkos is not the answer to what ails the Leafs, but you're correct that Hedman could be a game changer.

A Norris level Dman would go a long way to change around the Leafs fortunes. IMO

Seems like Tampa is going to be more cutthroat than a team like Boston that held onto its Bergeron and Chara type stars into their late 30s and beyond.

I’m sure Stamkos wants the respect and consideration and consultation on his future and this isn’t purely about dollars and cents. I think Brisebois comments to the public about contending and cap management should have been for Stamkos in private but my sense is Tampa is looking for a breakup and don’t really care about hurt feelings.

Their commitment to Hagel and Jeannot tells me they’d probably be just as happy moving on from Stamkos. Reminds me of when St. Louis hardballed Petro on bonus structure but was spending liberally on Faulk and Krug like they were planning on moving on.

I’m not going to say no to Stamkos if his hurt feelings bring him to Toronto and he signs very team friendly. But otherwise his chance at being a top player on the Leafs has passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Seems like Tampa is going to be more cutthroat than a team like Boston that held onto its Bergeron and Chara type stars into their late 30s and beyond.

I’m sure Stamkos wants the respect and consideration and consultation on his future and this isn’t purely about dollars and cents. I think Brisebois comments to the public about contending and cap management should have been for Stamkos in private but my sense is Tampa is looking for a breakup and don’t really care about hurt feelings.

Their commitment to Hagel and Jeannot tells me they’d probably be just as happy moving on from Stamkos. Reminds me of when St. Louis hardballed Petro on bonus structure but was spending liberally on Faulk and Krug like they were planning on moving on.

I’m not going to say no to Stamkos if his hurt feelings bring him to Toronto and he signs very team friendly. But otherwise his chance at being a top player on the Leafs has passed.
I wish our Leafs were more cutthroat, if that is done in the process of making Winning the #1 priority.

Case in point Marner's contract ends at the same time Draisaitl does in 2 years and if Mitch is pushing for $13 mil like Auston and you can get Leon at same or similar price point, I would let Marner walk in a heartbeat if I thought his cap replacement would help my Leafs team win. It just business !!!

Many NHL team focus on the crest on the front and not the name on the back when doing business and it depends if you want to be in the entertainment business or treat your sports team in the winning business and make decisions accordingly.

Stamkos would have to be a decision based on making the Leafs better and at a price point where his contribution equals his productivity otherwise lets move on.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wish our Leafs were more cutthroat, if that is done in the process of making Winning the #1 priority.

Case in point Marner's contract ends at the same time Draisaitl does in 2 years and if Mitch is pushing for $13 mil like Auston and you can get Leon at same or similar price point, I would let Marner walk in a heartbeat if I thought his cap replacement would help my Leafs team win. It just business !!!

Many NHL team focus on the crest on the front and not the name on the back when doing business and it depends if you want to be in the entertainment business or treat your sports team in the winning business and make decisions accordingly.

Stamkos would have to be a decision based on making the Leafs better and at a price point where his contribution equals his productivity otherwise lets move on.
You let Marner walk, hoping Draisaitl signs here.. .then he doesn't, and you have neither...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad