Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Iginla makes absolutely no sense for us.

Iginla already has stated publicly he isn't open to an in-season trade because of his family.

Leafs shouldn't be giving up assets for Iginla and unless the Avs were getting something nice back why would they trade him well paying him not to play for them?

People can say Iginla is overpaid at his current salary but with a decent amount of cap retained he'd be an asset. An asset contenders should pay for. Not us.

Jerome is also from Western Canada and so is his wife. They have no ties to the Leafs. We don't offer him a chance to compete for a cup. I don't see why he would waive for us.

If he doesn't want to move in season that's a different story.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
With all the injuries happening, quite surprise there is still no trades between teams.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With all the injuries happening, quite surprise there is still no trades between teams.

A lot of selling teams it feels like right now, or at least teams that are probably not going to do much until closer to the dead line. There are like 9 teams within 3 points of dead last in the league.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A lot of selling teams it feels like right now. There are like 9 teams within 3 points of deadlast in the league.

I can see why some of these teams aren't rushing to buy some UFA's, but there are still a bunch of teams that should be calling clear sellers (i.e. the Leafs) on some of their pieces right now.

I'm sure trades will be happening soon, just soon is later than people expected.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think there are teams that just need to be in the playoffs this yr. The Pacific is a mess for some really odd reason. If I am the Ducks and Sharks, I will trade for some depth scoring and stuff. Since it is easier to get points now than say Feb and Mar.
Winnipeg is another team that needs the playoffs.
If I am GM and my team is dangling in the middle, I would rather make trade early than closer to TDL.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
ir6kzT0.png

http://scbroncos.com/roster/bio/264137

According to TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie, NHL scouts are flocking to see free agent RW Jon Martin of the Swift Current Broncos (WHL).

The expectation is that Jon Martin will definitely be signing a contract with an NHL team.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-what-s-the-impact-of-twittergate~767312

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
No thanks to Martin, I'd rather have the contract space. He's 20 years old and is finally above PPG, not too exciting imo.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I can see why some of these teams aren't rushing to buy some UFA's, but there are still a bunch of teams that should be calling clear sellers (i.e. the Leafs) on some of their pieces right now.

I'm sure trades will be happening soon, just soon is later than people expected.

I suspect mid January we'll start to see teams separate and the close ones will look to buy help

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs may not be good, but we do have depth. Martin would be bottom 6 on the Marlies.

What kind of game does he play?

Is he an offensive player, or perhaps he's a defensive puck possession guy?

He had the most PiMs on his team last year. Maybe he's the body guard type player?

Currently, he's leading scorer on his team.

What's the scouting report on him, how many games have we scouted him?

Must be a reason professionals are watching him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I looked at the stats first and assumed he would be a D man if anyone was gettign excited over him. Who cares about a forward who's just putting up over PPG for the first time in the CHL when he's 20?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I looked at the stats first and assumed he would be a D man if anyone was gettign excited over him. Who cares about a forward who's just putting up over PPG for the first time in the CHL when he's 20?

:laugh:

Analytics man!

You gotta have analytics!

He's leading goal scorer in the WHL, 82 games pace of 70 goals, maybe he's just a late bloomer?

If you can get him as a free wallet, which seems to be fine if they're 2 years older coming out of college, what is the harm?

Maybe he'd look good driving the net opposite of a smurf winger dishing off crazy passes?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the harm is running out of contract spots and having to trade the crap for an overpaid winger like a Grabner deal again.

With all the picks we've had and will be having this coming 2 years there's not gonna be a lot of contract room, a free wallet like Zaitsev sure, a free wallet that looks like your dime a dozen player who needs to go back for an overage season to finally put up PPG just seems like a waste of a contract.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
:laugh:

Analytics man!

You gotta have analytics!

He's leading goal scorer in the WHL, 82 games pace of 70 goals, maybe he's just a late bloomer?

If you can get him as a free wallet, which seems to be fine if they're 2 years older coming out of college, what is the harm?

Maybe he'd look good driving the net opposite of a smurf winger dishing off crazy passes?

I can definitely see the Leafs poking their heads around on a big power-forward. Personally, I can't see him signing here with the current depth we have in the AHL. I would have to think that his agent would consider bonuses and opportunity for development.

It's not necessarily the best situation for him when the Leafs have an abundance of forward prospects. He is going to be one of those players that is either going to translate his game to the pro level or tail-out quickly. The issue that I have with Martin is that his currently scoring pace could be a reflection of age. WHL is a 16-20 age league with 20 year olds having a superior physical advantage.

Martin's development on statistics alone could prove this season is an anomaly or a step-up in development. The Marlies will be stock-loaded with many players making the jump, another year of Kapanen and notably Johnson making the jump to pro ice.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
the harm is running out of contract spots and having to trade the crap for an overpaid winger like a Grabner deal again.

With all the picks we've had and will be having this coming 2 years there's not gonna be a lot of contract room, a free wallet like Zaitsev sure, a free wallet that looks like your dime a dozen player who needs to go back for an overage season to finally put up PPG just seems like a waste of a contract.

The Grabner deal was beneficial in free-ing up contract spots for the current 1 year free agent signings. I don't see the issue with having him on the books and letting him walk at season end.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
He has 16pts and its just for 1 year. I think it would be good for the kids like Roberts was good for Crosby and the pens that 1 year. Same quality leader.

As far as I know Dion and Iginla are OK or so they say.

We have an inconsistent veteran forward in Lupul already, no need to get another one in the mix.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Grabner deal was beneficial in free-ing up contract spots for the current 1 year free agent signings. I don't see the issue with having him on the books and letting him walk at season end.

there's no issue now, eventually when we're a cap team competing for a cup, taking on a cap dump to free up contract slots won't be an option.

Free wallets are great when there's a decent chance they have a future. I'm not writing off this Martin guy but when your first PPG season as a forward comes in your overage year there's not a lot to be excited about, and I'd need to see much more before I'm going to use a contract slot up, one which I might have to pay to free up later, one which I might not be able to afford to pay to free up later like I can right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
there's no issue now, eventually when we're a cap team competing for a cup, taking on a cap dump to free up contract slots won't be an option.

Free wallets are great when there's a decent chance they have a future. I'm not writing off this Martin guy but when your first PPG season as a forward comes in your overage year there's not a lot to be excited about, and I'd need to see much more before I'm going to use a contract slot up, one which I might have to pay to free up later, one which I might not be able to afford to pay to free up later like I can right now.

Okay, can anyone here tell us anything about him besides looking at the stats?

So do the same rules apply to everyone when we're stats watching or just a favorite player(s) we want to pump up?

Free wallets from NCAA cost a NHL contract and tell me the last one that really worked out? Bozak? Out of how many free wallets?

I'm not saying sign this guy I'm saying I have no idea about this player and I'm guessing that holds true for everyone commenting here, except McKenzie who says real hockey people are checking him out.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Okay, can anyone here tell us anything about him besides looking at the stats?

So do the same rules apply to everyone when we're stats watching or just a favorite player(s) we want to pump up?

Free wallets from NCAA cost a NHL contract and tell me the last one that really worked out? Bozak? Out of how many free wallets?

I'm not saying sign this guy I'm saying I have no idea about this player and I'm guessing that holds true for everyone commenting here, except McKenzie who says real hockey people are checking him out.

I'm not saying don't sign this guys, just looking at his stats they're not even enticing for an overager. At least most NCAA free wallets have quality stats. And a bunch of them work out all the time, Bozak was the last for us, but DeKeyser is a quality D for Detroit, and there are other examples.

I'm not writing this guy off, all I said is just looking at his stats I don't really get it, they're not all that good for a 20 year old, and with the position we're in contract spots are going to be valuable soon with lots of draft picks, so the thought, of it's a free look, why not, we can just trade him for a Grabner later if we need the contract spot, a little more thought has to go into it than that. If management looks into it and think it makes sense then fine, I trust them, but just looking at what I can see here he doesn't look all that exciting to me.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
as for pumping guys up I'm sure anyone pumping up say Timashov, putting up 1.8 ppg as a draft+1 player, or Nielsen putting up ppg as a draft+1 defenceman is a lot more exciting than an overager putting up over ppg for the first time in his career.

If we drafted someone who went through their 18 and 19 year old seasons as a forward not putting up ppg I'm not sure I'd want to offer them a contract when they finally managed to put up over ppg as a 20 year old either. It's got nothing to do with certain players up and everything to do with looking at the context in which the player is putting up said numbers.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not saying don't sign this guys, just looking at his stats they're not even enticing for an overager. At least most NCAA free wallets have quality stats. And a bunch of them work out all the time, Bozak was the last for us, but DeKeyser is a quality D for Detroit, and there are other examples.

I'm not writing this guy off, all I said is just looking at his stats I don't really get it, they're not all that good for a 20 year old, and with the position we're in contract spots are going to be valuable soon with lots of draft picks, so the thought, of it's a free look, why not, we can just trade him for a Grabner later if we need the contract spot, a little more thought has to go into it than that. If management looks into it and think it makes sense then fine, I trust them, but just looking at what I can see here he doesn't look all that exciting to me.

Stat scouting is always flawed though. You need to look deeper than just his surface level stats. Analytics help in that but there are other contextual things that can help.

Has he gotten much playing time or the opportunity to prove that he had more in him? Was he used in an offensive role or just in a bottom six role? It's never quit often as easy as "he never scored before now, so he's probably not anything".

Kootenay has always had a decently strong top 6. Without knowing too much, I'd hazard a guess that Martin never really had much opportunity to crack it. Now that he's on a team that doesn't have a ton of offensive depth, he's taken off. What he's doing is impressive to say the least. He has 24 goals, the next four top goal scorers on his team has 25 combined...

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Rumor Roundup: Trade talk dies down as holiday freeze approaches

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-trade-talk-dies-down-as-holiday-freeze-approaches/

November saw a number of notable NHL players pop up in the rumor mill. Colorado Avalanche center Matt Duchene, Columbus Blue Jackets pivot Ryan Johansen, San Jose Sharks forward Patrick Marleau, and Edmonton Oilers forwards Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle became hot topics of trade speculation.

Moving into mid-December and with the league’s holiday trade freeze (Dec. 19-27) just over a week away, much of the trade chatter regarding those players has cooled off or completely died out.

Since Duchene first surfaced in trade talk in early-November, he’s become one of the league’s hottest offensive stars. Most observers now assume Avs GM Joe Sakic was simply trying to light a fire under the 24-year-old, who was off to a slow start.

StarTribune.com’s Michael Russo believes just because Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen is listening to inquiries about Johansen doesn’t mean he’ll trade his first-line center. It’ll likely take much more than rival clubs are willing to pay to pry Johansen away from the Jackets.

Stamkos and the Lightning remain tight-lipped with the media regarding the status of contract negotiations. That led to the Toronto media freaking out over Stamkos liking a tweet linking to a TSN panel discussing whether the Maple Leafs should pursue him via trade or free agency.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports Staal’s agent recently met with Hurricanes GM Ron Francis, with both sides agreeing to postpone further discussions until January. There’s no word if Byfuglien and the Jets have held recent contract discussions.

Meanwhile, only one trade of note (the Calgary Flames acquiring goalie Kevin Poulin from the Lightning) has taken place since the regular season began. There could be an increase in trade activity leading up to the holiday freeze. However, the last notable pre-holiday freeze deal took place on Dec. 17, 2012, when the Arizona Coyotes dealt center Kyle Turris to the Ottawa Senators for defenseman David Rundblad and a second-round pick. Don’t be surprised if there’s no significant trade activity next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad