Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I wouldn't trade Rielly for McDavid right now. At the end of the day I think their value will be a wash as they'll both be elite in their own right. Plus D is the much bigger need atm and Rielly is Hella fine dman.

Ya, I'd say it was crazy to say they'll have even value. But, I didn't completely rule this off. It was more me wanting to wait and see how things turn out before we give up on one of our best prospects in the last decade (something we've done all to much) when he is already emerging as a pretty good two-way D with tremendous offensive upside. I am fully aware that McDavid is amazing and we'd probably have to add Nylander to Rielly for EDM to even answer the phone. I just feel like Rielly is already proving to be superb and is currently more proven, plus there is always the chance that McDavid doesn't live up to the crazy hype or that he becomes injury prone, although those chances are small.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wouldn't trade Rielly for McDavid right now. At the end of the day I think their value will be a wash as they'll both be elite in their own right. Plus D is the much bigger need atm and Rielly is Hella fine dman.

I like rielly.... But I take Mcdavid over him all day long. Rielly has the potential to be great, but mcdavid (if he stays healthy), is basically a shoe in for the hall of fame, if not, to be considered one of the best to ever play the game....

OvenMittz*

I like rielly.... But I take Mcdavid over him all day long. Rielly has the potential to be great, but mcdavid (if he stays healthy), is basically a shoe in for the hall of fame, if not, to be considered one of the best to ever play the game....

yea, i have to agree.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015

You know I look forward to Rielly, Nylander and Marner facing off in the Cup Final one day against McDavid, Nurse and Hall....

But yea I dream...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We're told a lot of NHL general managers were singing a similar tune when they gathered for their annual November meeting last week in Toronto.

"Lots of teams looking for a defenceman," said a league executive, "and they all want one that can play in the top four."

Well, good luck with that.

Still, a sniff around NHL circles by telephone indicates there are plenty of teams that would like blueline help as the important U.S. Thanksgiving quickly approaches at the end of November. The list is long and, of course, the the list of actual players who can provide that kind of assistance is pretty short.

That hasn't stopped teams from looking. Sources say Columbus, Toronto, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Calgary, San Jose, Buffalo and Boston are on a list of more than 10 teams that are looking for somebody who can play in their top four immediately.

"Since those guys aren't available you have to decide if there's a guy who is a No. 5 on a team right now that can maybe help you in your top four," the executive added.

There aren't many in the names of blueliners being shopped: Trevor Daley (Chicago), Matt Carle (Tampa), Justin Braun (San Jose), Braydon Coburn (Tampa), Ron Hainsey (Carolina), Carl Gunnarsson (St. Louis), Jake Gardiner (Toronto) and Kris Russell (Calgary).

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/14/ottawa-senators-not-alone-looking-for-d-man

I don't get it. I mean, we are looking for a top 4 defenseman right now by shopping a young top 4 defenseman? Um okay? I don't think we are looking for anything unless it's of the U22 variety.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Lol, no.

McDavid if all things go well health wise, will be better than any player in this Franchise ever.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

A sure fire can't miss 1st overall pick since he was 16 vs. a really good defenceman.

As much as I like the guy, you take McDavid and run.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I knew a lot of people would think me saying no to Rielly for McDavid was stupid and I don't blame ya, it's just that what Rielly is doing at such a young age is impeccable. And I just feel like we may never get another dman this good anytime soon. I also have lots of faith in our current forward prospect group.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I knew a lot of people would think me saying no to Rielly for McDavid was stupid and I don't blame ya, it's just that what Rielly is doing at such a young age is impeccable. And I just feel like we may never get another dman this good anytime soon. I also have lots of faith in our current forward prospect group.

I think that you have to trust that guys like Valiev, Lindgren, Loov and Dermott all can turn out to be, at the very least, good pros.

As much as you need offense from the defensemen, I think it's important that the Leafs have guys that can keep the puck out of the net and get the puck up to the skilled forwards.

But Rielly could very well be the best defenceman in that draft class, but we won't know that for a while.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Rielly will be amazing, but come on. We're talking about a kid who's already the most important player on his team at 18 and will likely have multiple 100 point seasons (possibly 120 points) at his peak. He's THAT good.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Posts like this are why other fan bases **** on us Leafs fans. Ridiculous.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
You know who I want from the oilers? Draisaitl, he's been doing really good recently and showing up what he's capable of. I really really wanted him on draft day but the oilers ofc got to him, he's finally showing up now after a rocky start last season.

Another one maybe we can pounce who has been struggling in the NHL is Strome?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I'd love to get R. Strome. Curious if the Islanders will look to move him, since he's in the AHL right now it seems like they may be souring on him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'd love to get R. Strome. Curious if the Islanders will look to move him, since he's in the AHL right now it seems like they may be souring on him.

He's hasn't had a good drive from what I heard in the NHL and hence Capuano sent him down but yea it'd be nice for sure, he's has a ton of skill and we can give him all the time in the world to get better and find that consistent with his skill.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I wouldn't mind Schenn if the price was right. I think Babcock could deploy him as a much better offensive Spaling. Big minutes against top lines freeing up Kadri/JVR.

Isnt Schenns biggest flaw that he is a bit to daft? Ok, Babs are doing wonders with Kadri right now but do we really need another one like that? Rather hang on to Kadri.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

I don't think Ryan Strome is available. Isles wanted a shake up and chose Strome because he doesn't need waivers, that's all. Snow and his coaching staff have much pressure because next season the new owners are at the helm, till now it's still Wang.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You should :)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

strome is a other smallish center with skill. he is a fine player but i prefer nylander, marner, and eve kadri to him. not sure what we could offer islanders anyways? id prefer to move a piece like jvr for pieces that fit organizational needs

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
strome is a other smallish center with skill. he is a fine player but i prefer nylander, marner, and eve kadri to him. not sure what we could offer islanders anyways? id prefer to move a piece like jvr for pieces that fit organizational needs

Strome is 6'1", or more depending on what sources you check. That's typical center size, and bigger than any of the centers you listed.

Not that I think he's available, but I'd try to acquire him in a JVR centered deal.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

The organization and their fans are pretty high on R Strome. I think it would take Marner or Nylander to get him and obviously that's not going to happen.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The organization and their fans are pretty high on R Strome. I think it would take Marner or Nylander to get him and obviously that's not going to happen.

I don't think that the price tag would be that high for him.

He's coming into his RFA year and he's slowly moving down the depth chart.

I would think that it would be in the 2nd tier of prospects. Kapanen or Percy would likely be going the other way.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Islanders are in a win now mode, so it probably wouldn't take a prospect.

Tavares is UFA 2018, time flies.

Strome is their youngest NHL forward, at 22, and had 50 NHL points last year. Only Kessel and van Riemsdyk did better on the Leafs.

Islanders are 11th. in league standings. What do they need to help them win today (okay win more)?

Due to budget and cap and rosters I'm not sure how the Leafs-Isles would do something.

If the target was Strome, and for the Leafs to send them something that doesn't have a high hit, unless they have a player they want gone?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Posts like this are why other fan bases **** on us Leafs fans. Ridiculous.

why?
what he said wasn't too outrageous.

he didn't say that McDavid = Rielly.
he said that Rielly will be elite in his own right - and having the Defenseman that can score and shut your centre down in the playoffs is a really good thing to have.

it's like saying
would you rather have Duncan Keith, or Sidney Crosby come playoff time.
I'd be voting for Keith

Doesn't change the fact that Crosby is still one of the (if not the) best players on the planet. I just like how Keith plays more + what he 's done (outside of being on a great team) and I wouldn't trade Keith for him.

So if Rielly hits the way we want him too - he could be a damned good if not elite player. and he'd rather keep that than trade for the one of the best (if not the best) future players on the planet

if that's what makes people crap on us? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad