Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
What do you guys think about Sami Vatanen?

Seems Anaheim fans are willing to move him if needed, due to cap concerns.

He would slot right into Top4, also be studly on the PP.

And........... will still be on RFA contract. 24yo, Bday in June.

Thoughts?

If they are moving him due to cap concerns it means they are looking for a cheap replacement and I doubt we have what would be needed.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I think the largest factor for this management group, when it comes to free agents/trades will be targeting players that want to play for the Maple Leafs, if you look at just some over the last year most have been life long fans.

As it stands right now your seeing a lot of young players knowing if they can be part of the solution, they could have godlike status if they win a cup in TO, older players a like.

But in the end its right you need players that want to be here

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
If they are moving him due to cap concerns it means they are looking for a cheap replacement and I doubt we have what would be needed.

Maybe Gardiner. He is also top4, signed for good contract, we could try to pry someone of their good prospects+Vatanen? We can always re-sign Vatanen in summer. But this deal is good for them only if they think that they can't sign him for less what Gardiner makes.

But I agree, we don't seem like their best trading partners in this trade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Maybe Gardiner. He is also top4, signed for good contract, we could try to pry someone of their good prospects+Vatanen? We can always re-sign Vatanen in summer. But this deal is good for them only if they think that they can't sign him for less what Gardiner makes.

But I agree, we don't seem like their best trading partners in this trade.

I think that with Simon Despres' contract extension kicking in this off-season, it would make sense to move one of their young defencemen for a forward.

But I would be willing to take on Clayton Stoner's contract if it meant getting one of their prospects.

Something like:

Bozak
Boyes
Marincin

for

Stoner
Kerdiles

Ducks get immediate help to help their window of opportunity. Bozak is playing really well and could help them. They get rid of Stoner's contract who's playing the least minutes out of all d-men on their team. Leafs get a good prospect but is probably their 5th or 6th best in the system.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What do you guys think about Sami Vatanen?

Seems Anaheim fans are willing to move him if needed, due to cap concerns.

He would slot right into Top4, also be studly on the PP.

And........... will still be on RFA contract. 24yo, Bday in June.

Thoughts?

I would take Vatanen in the right deal. Like his game. RHD.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think that with Simon Despres' contract extension kicking in this off-season, it would make sense to move one of their young defencemen for a forward.

But I would be willing to take on Clayton Stoner's contract if it meant getting one of their prospects.

Something like:

Bozak
Boyes
Marincin

for

Stoner
Kerdiles

Ducks get immediate help to help their window of opportunity. Bozak is playing really well and could help them. They get rid of Stoner's contract who's playing the least minutes out of all d-men on their team. Leafs get a good prospect but is probably their 5th or 6th best in the system.

Kerdiles isn't doing too hot. Definitely not worth the amount of value we are giving up, and he definitely would not be the 5th or 6th best guy. Probably not even in the top 10. He's a good middle line forward, but we have plenty of those guys as it is.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Kerdiles isn't doing too hot. Definitely not worth the amount of value we are giving up, and he definitely would not be the 5th or 6th best guy. Probably not even in the top 10. He's a good middle line forward, but we have plenty of those guys as it is.

I really don't think that there is too much value that the Leafs are giving up.

Bozak is playing well, but 2 months ago everyone was wishing that they would just trade him for anything. Boyes is a 4th liner that came off a PTO and Marincin is a #6. With those moves, you open up 1 spot upfront for a guy like Leivo, Frattin, Panik, etc. to be called up for the remainder of the season.

Kerdiles has potential still. Is he going to be a top line winger? No, I think he projects to be on the 2nd or 3rd lines. But you're getting another prospect and if he doesn't pan out, then whatever. But you're giving yourself another chance with a good prospect.

I would much rather prefer Gibson, Theodore or even Julius Nattinen, but I don't think the Ducks would give those guys up for that package.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Stankos doesn't re-sign in Tampa before July 1, its going to be a long 6 1/2 months.

I think Stamkos liking the Leaf stuff on Twitter, is more likely to be a bargaining ploy, for him to get more money out of Tampa. Either that or he must really be pissed with management in Tampa, because if he in facts wants out of Tampa, then him liking the Leafs stuff, is going to drive his trade value down for Yzerman. Why would you handcuff his team like this, unless he's either very disrespectful, pissed off, or really wants to stay in Tampa, but wants more money.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think Stamkos liking the Leaf stuff on Twitter, is more likely to be a bargaining ploy, for him to get more money out of Tampa. Either that or he must really be pissed with management in Tampa, because if he in facts wants out of Tampa, then him liking the Leafs stuff, is going to drive his trade value down for Yzerman. Why would you handcuff his team like this, unless he's either very disrespectful, pissed off, or really wants to stay in Tampa, but wants more money.

no one will trade for him. its too cost prohibative. as a ufa teams will lineup but to trade for a rental and hope he signs....not worth it

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really don't think that there is too much value that the Leafs are giving up.

Bozak is playing well, but 2 months ago everyone was wishing that they would just trade him for anything. Boyes is a 4th liner that came off a PTO and Marincin is a #6. With those moves, you open up 1 spot upfront for a guy like Leivo, Frattin, Panik, etc. to be called up for the remainder of the season.

Kerdiles has potential still. Is he going to be a top line winger? No, I think he projects to be on the 2nd or 3rd lines. But you're getting another prospect and if he doesn't pan out, then whatever. But you're giving yourself another chance with a good prospect.

I would much rather prefer Gibson, Theodore or even Julius Nattinen, but I don't think the Ducks would give those guys up for that package.

To be honest, I wouldn't base Bozak's value based off of a bunch of fed up fans. People were saying that about Franson last year (and same with Lupul, Phaneuf, Kessel, etc.). The thing that was always so confusing is that Bozak never really disappointed, so I don't see the justification behind people wanting to get rid of him for whatever they can. Bozak is worth a whole lot more than Kerdiles one for one, never mind the other pieces involved giving them even more value.

Stoner gives us a Fayne-like anchor contract. Boyes actually has some good value considering he only costs 700k and can do the same amount (or more) as someone like Fleishmann did last year. He had something like a 4.5 million cap hit and picked up a 3rd round pick despite that. Marincin is Marincin, but we can include him as a decent value add on in a bigger package (like this one, but not this one).

If we REALLY like Kerdiles for some reason, I can see Boyes + Marincin for Kerdiles and maybe a mid round pick (or just take picks from them if we don't), but that's about as far as I'd take it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
To be honest, I wouldn't base Bozak's value based off of a bunch of fed up fans. People were saying that about Franson last year (and same with Lupul, Phaneuf, Kessel, etc.). The thing that was always so confusing is that Bozak never really disappointed, so I don't see the justification behind people wanting to get rid of him for whatever they can. Bozak is worth a whole lot more than Kerdiles one for one, never mind the other pieces involved giving them even more value.

Stoner gives us a Fayne-like anchor contract. Boyes actually has some good value considering he only costs 700k and can do the same amount (or more) as someone like Fleishmann did last year. He had something like a 4.5 million cap hit and picked up a 3rd round pick despite that. Marincin is Marincin, but we can include him as a decent value add on in a bigger package (like this one, but not this one).

If we REALLY like Kerdiles for some reason, I can see Boyes + Marincin for Kerdiles and maybe a mid round pick (or just take picks from them if we don't), but that's about as far as I'd take it.

Yeah, the hate for Bozak was a bit unwarranted. At times, I didn't like his play and was just frustrated at the overall effort that he seemed to be giving on a nightly basis. Glad to see that he's giving it some more effort this season.

So if the Leafs were to trade Bozak there, it couldn't be for one of their top tier prospects. It would have to be in that 2nd tier that include Montour, Kerdiles, Noesen, Sorensen, etc.

I was just throwing Kerdiles into that discussion just for the sake of throwing another name out there. I had no specific reason in adding him.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the largest factor for this management group, when it comes to free agents/trades will be targeting players that want to play for the Maple Leafs, if you look at just some over the last year most have been life long fans.

As it stands right now your seeing a lot of young players knowing if they can be part of the solution, they could have godlike status if they win a cup in TO, older players a like.

But in the end its right you need players that want to be here

How about a heart and soul, born & raised Torontonian like David Clarkson?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Someone on the main board suggested Inginla @ 50% cap. I was just thinking about that and thought about the idea of taking him on for PAP. It gives 1.5 Seasons of Iginla which potentially brings in Marner and Nylander under the wings of Stamkos and Inginla.

Thoughts?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Someone on the main board suggested Inginla @ 50% cap. I was just thinking about that and thought about the idea of taking him on for PAP. It gives 1.5 Seasons of Iginla which potentially brings in Marner and Nylander under the wings of Stamkos and Inginla.

Thoughts?

I'm not to interested in Iginla. He's definitely lost a step and he was never really an amazing skater. His draw was that he could shoot the puck really well.

No interest from me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not to interested in Iginla. He's definitely lost a step and he was never really an amazing skater. His draw was that he could shoot the puck really well.

No interest from me.

He has 16pts and its just for 1 year. I think it would be good for the kids like Roberts was good for Crosby and the pens that 1 year. Same quality leader.

As far as I know Dion and Iginla are OK or so they say.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He has 16pts and its just for 1 year. I think it would be good for the kids like Roberts was good for Crosby and the pens that 1 year. Same quality leader.

The only way I would trade for Iginla is if the Avs are taking another longer contract of the Leafs hands.

A guy like Joffrey Lupul or Stephane Robidas.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

if we could get iginla for something minimal I think we should be all over it. his cap hit is manageable and it is only for one more year. he would be our leading scorer :laugh:

not sure what we could offer? maybe something like bozak for iginla at full pop? I definitely wouldn't be parting with quality assets but if we can get him as a cap dump it would be something to consider.

iggy would be a GREAT mentor for the kids. he also would give us a top 6 winger.

jvr-stamkos-marner
lupul-nylander-iggy
komorov-kadri-leivo
winnik-froese-xxxxx

rielly-phaneuf
gardiner-zaitsev
hunwick-percy/Harrington/chychrun :sarcasm:

bernier/reimer/ sparks

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Sorry can someone bring be up to speed on why in the world we're considering bringing Iginla to Toronto? For what benefit exactly? To have an old guy on the team because we assume that all old guys are great "leaders"?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry can someone bring be up to speed on why in the world we're considering bringing Iginla to Toronto? For what benefit exactly? To have an old guy on the team because we assume that all old guys are great "leaders"?

There is nothing to indicate the Leafs are considering that.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as I like Iginla, what's the pt of him coming to the Leafs? Leafs got Winnik, Leo and Boyes(great deal for 700k) for leadership and vet presence. And Iginla cap hit is too high for a 3rd liner.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Thoughts?

Iginla makes absolutely no sense for us.

Iginla already has stated publicly he isn't open to an in-season trade because of his family.

Leafs shouldn't be giving up assets for Iginla and unless the Avs were getting something nice back why would they trade him well paying him not to play for them?

People can say Iginla is overpaid at his current salary but with a decent amount of cap retained he'd be an asset. An asset contenders should pay for. Not us.

Jerome is also from Western Canada and so is his wife. They have no ties to the Leafs. We don't offer him a chance to compete for a cup. I don't see why he would waive for us.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When I said 'we' I wasn't thinking I was a part of the management group and others were too.... I was referring to fellow fans posting here.

My mistake. Many fans do use "we" though when referring to the Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad