Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
When Hyman returns the Leafs will be completely maxed out on the cap. Little to no wiggle room for improvements. Personally I think the Leafs should off load Nylander, Ceci and Johnsson to better their team where it is needed most and that is toughness/size.

Nylander\Ceci should acquire you a bruising defenseman to play next to Reilly with a defense first mentality. I would definitely take a run at Columbus for both Anderson and Savard. Add pieces where you need to from either side, but those two would be a great step in bettering our defense and toughness both upfront and on the backend.

Johnsson is not needed on our team, he is a luxury I am willing to unload to better our overall toughness and size. I would focus on Anahiem or LA here. Look to acquire a Ritchie or Toffoli type here. Bigger wingers with speed that will hit and add grit with some offensive upside. Again add where you have to from either side. My lines would then be:

Micheyev-Matthews-Anderson
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Ritchie/Toffoli-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov/Shore-Gautheir-Moore

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

Andersen
Hutchison

You think Toffoli adds grit?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How about we see Dermott actually playing 15 minutes successfully on his proper side on the bottom pair before putting him on the top pairing on his wrong side?

K thanks.

Anyone who wants to dump Ceci for Dermott probably shouldn't be commenting.
So say you.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
In season:
Johnsson and Ceci for Savard
Nylander for Bertuzzi, WSH 2020 2nd and Glendening at 50%
WSH 2020 2nd for Simmons’s at 50%

Off-season:
Re-sign Muzzin 6x5.5M
Trade Dermott for C. Fleury
Sign Gudas 3.25x3 (?)
Sign Bertuzzi 5x4.5M
Sign Mikheyev 4x3M

19/20 season:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Moore-Gauthier-Glendening
Timashov-Shore

Rielly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

20/21 season:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Korshkov
Moore-Gauthier-Glendening

Rielly-Savard
Muzzin-Fleury
Sandin-Gudas

Andersen
Woll

Reactions: hullsy47

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
When Hyman returns the Leafs will be completely maxed out on the cap. Little to no wiggle room for improvements. Personally I think the Leafs should off load Nylander, Ceci and Johnsson to better their team where it is needed most and that is toughness/size.

Nylander\Ceci should acquire you a bruising defenseman to play next to Reilly with a defense first mentality. I would definitely take a run at Columbus for both Anderson and Savard. Add pieces where you need to from either side, but those two would be a great step in bettering our defense and toughness both upfront and on the backend.

Johnsson is not needed on our team, he is a luxury I am willing to unload to better our overall toughness and size. I would focus on Anahiem or LA here. Look to acquire a Ritchie or Toffoli type here. Bigger wingers with speed that will hit and add grit with some offensive upside. Again add where you have to from either side. My lines would then be:

Micheyev-Matthews-Anderson
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Ritchie/Toffoli-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov/Shore-Gautheir-Moore

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

Andersen
Hutchison

Like the thinking here. I think Dubas will have to go down the same road Masai went down with Derozan. He will have to give up something good to get that missing piece.

I do think AJ is redundant on the team as others can slide into his spot and if they are a Hyman type with some finishing ability will help the Matthews line more than AJ does. They need a guy to retrieve the puck and create havoc in front of the net. If that guy is also good defensivly then that really helps that line.

If any big names move I think it is Nylander and he can get you a guy to play with Reilly.

You move AJ, Nylander and Ceci and get better D for Reilly and some grit with Matthews then Soupman moves up with Matthews and you don't lose anything really. Moore bumps up to the 3rd line with Kappy and Kerfoot and still good.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
How about we see Dermott actually playing 15 minutes successfully on his proper side on the bottom pair before putting him on the top pairing on his wrong side?

K thanks.

Anyone who wants to dump Ceci for Dermott probably shouldn't be commenting.

Yes. Dermott needs to just play.

However Ceci occupies a fair portion of cap space and moving him could alleviate that issue without having to touch the roster too much. As for who takes his spot, while it doesn't read well, Holl may be the guy. Functionally I don't think you would lose much, if anything.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

However Ceci occupies a fair portion of cap space and moving him could alleviate that issue without having to touch the roster too much. As for who takes his spot, while it doesn't read well, Holl may be the guy. Functionally I don't think you would lose much, if anything.
And Ceci sucks.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

He's never played above the bottom pair, and expecting it now is a fools game.....he's not even doing particularly well on the bottom pairing yet, and that's on his strong side.

The Leafs have no D depth on the right side, and endless supply of wingers. Why would they trade a Right Shot Dman who is playing reasonably well?

Give the D one injury after trading Ceci, and you are playing AHL'ers, and we will all be saying "That was dumb to trade a D, I guess better luck next year"

Keep all your D and trade a winger (AJ/Kap) for additional D depth.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Babcock pretty much confirmed we're gonna be playing with 6 D. So Marincin and Petan are most likely 2 of the 3 guys we have to move to be traded or waived. Sad thing is I think we'll keep Shore over one of Speeza or Tima. I kinda have a feeling it'll be Tima because does he have to clear waivers? Or can he be sent right down to the Marlies? If he doesn't have to clear it'll probably be him and if he does then it'll probably be Speeza when it should be Shore imo.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Babcock pretty much confirmed we're gonna be playing with 6 D. So Marincin and Petan are most likely 2 of the 3 guys we have to move to be traded or waived. Sad thing is I think we'll keep Shore over one of Speeza or Tima. I kinda have a feeling it'll be Tima because does he have to clear waivers? Or can he be sent right down to the Marlies? If he doesn't have to clear it'll probably be him and if he does then it'll probably be Speeza when it should be Shore imo.

Timashov will need to go through waivers to be sent down, I'd keep him and Shore and send down or try to trade Marincin, Petan and Spezza

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's never played above the bottom pair, and expecting it now is a fools game.....he's not even doing particularly well on the bottom pairing yet.

The Leafs have no D depth on the right side, and endless supply of wingers. Why would they trade a Right Shot Dman who is playing reasonably well?

Give the D one injury after trading Ceci, and you are playing AHL'ers, and we will all be saying "That was dumb to trade a D, I guess better luck next year"

Keep all your D and trade a winger (AJ/Kap) for additional D depth.

Oh, there's risk I guess, but if you can clear Ceci's money, IMO it's worth looking at. Neither are worth $4.5m, but one is paid that. But I think it's a fair argument regardless of prior role, that he could be as good.

It's the nice way of me saying I don't think he's that good, particularly in relation to his salary.

But even if you're trading Kapanen or Johnsson, unless it's part of a bigger trade you're still likely not getting a defencemen at least on paper you would feel comfortable with playing with Rielly.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Timashov will need to go through waivers to be sent down, I'd keep him and Shore and send down or try to trade Marincin, Petan and Spezza

I just don't see what Shore brings to this team other then his current 60% faceoff win rate. 4th line has been bad and everytime you see them lately they are always hemmed in our zone like 90% of their shifts on the ice so idk why we'd want to keep him.

Reactions: Magic Man

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just don't see what Shore brings to this team other then his current 60% faceoff win rate. 4th line has been bad and everytime you see them lately they are always hemmed in our zone like 90% of their shifts on the ice so idk why we'd want to keep him.

The 4th line is getting incredibly heavy defensive usage so the other guys don't have to, winning the draw and getting the puck out of our zone asap is what Babcock is asking them to do

So unless you want to start giving our best offensive players hard defensive minutes (I've got doubts that's going to go well) keeping Shore and having the 4th line eat tough minutes is a decent plan

Reactions: Gallagbi

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The 4th line is getting incredibly heavy defensive usage so the other guys don't have to, winning the draw and getting the puck out of our zone asap is what Babcock is asking them to do

So unless you want to start giving our best offensive players hard defensive minutes (I've got doubts that's going to go well) keeping Shore and having the 4th line eat tough minutes is a decent plan

But they aren't doing that. Yeah he's getting a lot of d zone starts but so is Spezza and Petan and they weren't getting hemmed in as much. Our 4th line has barely seen the offensive zone when we have Shore and Goat together. 4th line is mostly gonna go against other teams 4th lines and ours have trouble generating any kind of offence or even controlling the puck against weaker competition seems like a problem. Imagine how much better Dermott and Holl or whatever D pair that's on the ice with them could be if they had forwards who could help them generate some offence and get out of the D zone.

I don't expect our 4th line to dominate every game, but I'd like the shifts to be closer to 50-50 when it comes to being in the offensive and defensive zone instead of what it is now which feels like 90% in the d zone. I just don't see any reason for Shore to be playing over others.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But they aren't doing that. Yeah he's getting a lot of d zone starts but so is Spezza and Petan and they weren't getting hemmed in as much. Our 4th line has barely seen the offensive zone when we have Shore and Goat together. 4th line is mostly gonna go against other teams 4th lines and ours have trouble generating any kind of offence or even controlling the puck against weaker competition seems like a problem. Imagine how much better Dermott and Holl or whatever D pair that's on the ice with them could be if they had forwards who could help them generate some offence and get out of the D zone.

I don't expect our 4th line to dominate every game, but I'd like the shifts to be closer to 50-50 when it comes to being in the offensive and defensive zone instead of what it is now which feels like 90% in the d zone. I just don't see any reason for Shore to be playing over others.

Our 4th line starts in our zone against almost everybody, especially when Tavares went down so I doubt their QOC isn't low as you think

Against the Habs they took every defensive draw, every single one against whoever the Habs threw at them so they aren't just playing 4th line vs 4th line, that's why their playing 10 minutes a night

If you use Spezza or Petan on the 4th line somebody else needs to start in our zone and I can't see any reason why you would give significantly tougher usage to far better offensive players like Matthew's, Tavares or Kerfoot

You don't screw over the team so the 4th line looks better

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Johnsson to NYR for Georgiev & a 3rd.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner

Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen

Timashov - Gaut - Shore

Same D

Freddy & Georgiev

Open up some space to sign Mikheyev to a 2/3 year deal around Johnsson's cap and get a young goalie to take the load off Andersen and potentially take over/ or play 1A/1B with Scott/Woll down the line

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Our 4th line starts in our zone against almost everybody, especially when Tavares went down so I doubt their QOC isn't low as you think

Against the Habs they took every defensive draw, every single one against whoever the Habs threw at them so they aren't just playing 4th line vs 4th line, that's why their playing 10 minutes a night

If you use Spezza or Petan on the 4th line somebody else needs to start in our zone and I can't see any reason why you would give significantly tougher usage to far better offensive players like Matthew's, Tavares or Kerfoot

You don't screw over the team so the 4th line looks better

Those 2 are starting in the d zone the same amount as what Shore and them are now. The only reason why Spezza and Petan have a few more o zone starts is because they've played on the 2nd PP unit. The 4th line didn't get used any different when Spezza and Petan were on it and they still actually generated offensive chances in the offensive zone more than they gave up. So you aren't screwing over the team so the 4th line looks better. You're simply getting rid of Shore who has brought nothing to the team and keeping a guy who has done something and has actually produced offensively too. People might argue he's useful on the PK. Ok, well our PK is bottom 10 in the league so I think that's enough said right there. Also, Hyman coming back replaces him on the PK easily so now your 4 forward PKers are Hyman, Goat, Kapanen, Marner/Tavares?

Kerfoot btw was brought in to specifically play some tougher competition and be a shutdown line, especially with Kapanen and Mikheyev as his wingers. He'd probably see a lot more d zone starts if he wasn't 47% on faceoffs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Those 2 are starting in the d zone the same amount as what Shore and them are now. The only reason why Spezza and Petan have a few more o zone starts is because they've played on the 2nd PP unit. The 4th line didn't get used any different when Spezza and Petan were on it and they still actually generated offensive chances in the offensive zone more than they gave up. So you aren't screwing over the team so the 4th line looks better. You're simply getting rid of Shore who has brought nothing to the team and keeping a guy who has done something and has actually produced offensively too. People might argue he's useful on the PK. Ok, well our PK is bottom 10 in the league so I think that's enough said right there. Also, Hyman coming back replaces him on the PK easily so now your 4 forward PKers are Hyman, Goat, Kapanen, Marner/Tavares?

Kerfoot btw was brought in to specifically play some tougher competition and be a shutdown line, especially with Kapanen and Mikheyev as his wingers. He'd probably see a lot more d zone starts if he wasn't 47% on faceoffs.

Kerfoot was brought in to form a shut down line? So the guy that generally played on the wing before he got here and is learning to play center is going to be the center on a shut down line? Thats an idea right there

Shore is on the team to win the draw in his own zone get it out and get off the ice, which he's doing, he's playing on the PK and I couldn't give a rat's ass if the 4th line puts up more offense, it's there to take tough minutes for the other guys and leave the ice

Its our shut down line, that's how it's used with shore and Gauthier and that's how it should continue being used

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Timashov is sent down or waived..I'll be pretty pissed.

One of our only gritty guys on the team. Babcock's infatuation with Shore is already pissing me off

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Kerfoot was brought in to form a shut down line? So the guy that generally played on the wing before he got here and is learning to play center is going to be the center on a shut down line? Thats an idea right there

Shore is on the team to win the draw in his own zone get it out and get off the ice, which he's doing, he's playing on the PK and I couldn't give a rat's ass if the 4th line puts up more offense, it's there to take tough minutes for the other guys and leave the ice

Its our shut down line, that's how it's used with shore and Gauthier and that's how it should continue being used

Kerfoot was always known for his defence and he wasn't bad at faceoffs even when playing wing (mainly because he got to take therm on his strong side being a winger). So transitioning to C isn't really that hard of an adjustment for him considering he's always played C/LW. He was also always very good at zone exits and being C gives him more ice to work with so even better for him and us. Your 3rd line is generally known as your shutdown line because they are a line you can trust against other teams top players. I trust Kerfoot and his line against other teams top players and I don't trust our 4th at alland I doubt anyone really does considering how everyone flips out when

You say he's on the team to win faceoffs and get the puck out of the zone and get off but all they do is get hemmed in our zone for their entire shift and that's it. Idk how you or anyone could be happy or ok with that. Enforcers can legit bring more to a team than that. They can skate around in the D zone hoping the goalie bails them out until a whistle. At least they'd lay some people out while doing so. I don't need our 4th line scoring a lot, but they should be at least making the others team defence actually have to defend throughout the game.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Johnsson to NYR for Georgiev & a 3rd.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner

Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen

Timashov - Gaut - Shore

Same D

Freddy & Georgiev

Open up some space to sign Mikheyev to a 2/3 year deal around Johnsson's cap and get a young goalie to take the load off Andersen and potentially take over/ or play 1A/1B with Scott/Woll down the line
Barf to trading a 50-60 point winger with some grit for a backup goalie who is no sure thing. Johnsson should only go for a similar aged and similar contract type rhd. Otherwise keep him and see in the offseason how things look.

We will need to make a decision on Hyman soon. Got 1 year left after this. He will want 4ish mill next deal. If he looks like the ACL has taken away from his speed and motor we may be best served moving in and trying to deal him for a couple of 2nds.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Well if Babcock is really this obsessed with having 2 C's in the 4th line capable of taking faceoff duties...can we at least look for an upgrade over Shore at least?

Anyone know of gritty 4th line Centers who are good in the faceoffs....who might be available?

Adam Lowry? Glendenning?

Heck we shouldve signed Bryan Boyle when he was available

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Well if Babcock is really this obsessed with having 2 C's in the 4th line capable of taking faceoff duties...can we at least look for an upgrade over Shore at least?

Anyone know of gritty 4th line Centers who are good in the faceoffs....who might be available?

Adam Lowry? Glendenning?

Heck we shouldve signed Bryan Boyle when he was available
He wants a righty and a lefty otherwise there isnt a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad